Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
  • Reward points: 0
2014/03/20 18:49:13 (permalink)

Update on what Tailwater Updated responses

Got this from another site.   It is scary if they can get around the PFR

URGENT AND SERIOUS MESSAGE!!!!
 Altmar is going private!

LOTAC received an email from a credible person with knowledge of the situation and we may lose public access on the north side of the river just like we lost the south side.

His email more a less stated:

There is a group of fishermen forming to battle the apparent takeover of Public Fishing Rights on the north side of the Salmon River below the bridge at Altmar, all the way to Ellis Cove. Woodbine Group, of Syracuse (Norm Swanson) already bought the south side of the river from below the Schoolhouse Pool up to near the bridge. In late October, 2013 Swanson bought a lot bordering the north bank for $40,000. National Grid owns all the other land/lots on the north side except New York State owned parking lot. If someone gets in bed with National Grid the PFR's on the south side will be lost to Ellis Cove. This is urgent, and immediate steps are being taken. The DEC states PFR's are "permanent" but they already dropped the ball on the south side and powerful lawyers, etc. can surprise the public

This is a serious matter for all of us.
 Contact
 The governor http://andrewcuomo.com/contact

Kenneth Lynch, (315) 426-7403 DEC Director in Syracuse.

The section 7 fishery email- fwfish7@gw.dec.state.ny.us

..and post this on every forum you can!

post edited by Clint S - 2014/03/24 20:06:51

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
Re: Update on what Tailwater had in mind from begining 2014/03/20 19:27:07 (permalink)
If this is in fact truth, shops and fishermen alike should picket in front of the place.
If this in fact goes through , anglers should completely BOYCOTT the salmon river for a period of 1 year.
It would be a pretty BOLD statement that might get the local shops to think twice about the people that support the fishery, not the other way around.
I could easily set a year out but highly doubt others would show enough solidarity to make a difference

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Update on what Tailwater had in mind from begining 2014/03/20 19:43:28 (permalink)
Message sent to the gov:

Mr. Cuomo:
It has come to various fishing forums that there is discussion about the state of New York possibly making a deal with the woodbine group to forgo state PFR on the north side of the salmon river in Altmar , NY if they purchase land on the north bank.
They have already purchased property on the south bank and have made that area a private resort lodge excluding the public fishermen.
If there is any truth to this matter of New York State allowing a private origination to be excluded from the permanent statue of PFR then it will be a sad day for the sportsman and women of New York.
I strongly urge you to not support any such action:
Thank you:
Richard Strattman

chartist
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 925
Re: Update on what Tailwater had in mind from begining 2014/03/20 19:48:33 (permalink)
Personally, I don't mind private enterprise....I will pay for more elbow room.  It's way too cheap to fish on the SR now....The locals are crushing it....I drive 500 miles to fish and it's often not easy to find elbow room...Let the locals have the town pools....Make everyone else pay and pay and pay.
post edited by chartist - 2014/03/20 19:51:55
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Update on what Tailwater had in mind from begining 2014/03/20 19:52:35 (permalink)
Good for you . Stay in Ohio

chartist
Expert Angler
Re: Update on what Tailwater had in mind from begining 2014/03/20 19:57:16 (permalink)
Tuna, no offense, but it's not guys like you helping the community.....It's guys like me making the trip up 5 times during the fall, spending $70 at the river house each night....Spending at the hotels....Spending at Fat Nancy's or the Orvis place....I spent $500 this past fall for the DSR alone...I know I spent $3000 fishing the SR last year....
chartist
Expert Angler
Re: Update on what Tailwater had in mind from begining 2014/03/20 20:00:19 (permalink)
I say privatize the whole thing upstream of the 81 overpass and downstream from the DSR property...It's too valuable of an asset for the few bucks they get off New Yorkers for a license....you folks are way underpaying for access to the premier salmon stream in eastern US.
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: Update on what Tailwater had in mind from begining 2014/03/20 20:01:50 (permalink)
chartist
Personally, I don't mind private enterprise....I will pay for more elbow room.  It's way too cheap to fish on the SR now....The locals are crushing it....I drive 500 miles to fish and it's often not easy to find elbow room...Let the locals have the town pools....Make everyone else pay and pay and pay.

Dude you wonder why people have a huge dislike for you.  I have tried to stay out of bashing you but c'mon.  I had alot more to say, but it is not even worth the effort.

hot tuna
Good for you . Stay in Ohio

Nuff said right there

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

chartist
Expert Angler
Re: Update on what Tailwater had in mind from begining 2014/03/20 20:04:48 (permalink)
Like I care who likes me on this board....I do care about over crowding (like everyone else does)....The cure for over crowding is increased cost for access....So, if they double or triple fees, you get 25% less fishermen?  Everyone wins.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Update on what Tailwater had in mind from begining 2014/03/20 20:08:09 (permalink)
You are so very wrong if you think it's guys like you .
You have no idea how many times I have fished that river in the last 30 some years. You have no idea how many lodges, shops and eateries I supported that are no longer even there.
Do you pay New York taxes ? Well if not then you have no idea how much my state income taxes support the state of New York fisheries .
It's guys like YOU that think they can make those few trips to New York and spend peanuts and want change because they thinks their so little coin is making a difference compared to guys like US here who actually support the fishery.
Save you peanut chump change and stay in Ohio

chartist
Expert Angler
Re: Update on what Tailwater had in mind from begining 2014/03/20 20:12:05 (permalink)
Tuna, your realestate taxes go to support that lovely place:  New York City.....You have the top salmon stream in the eastern US and you're not paying enough....Private money knows this and they will squeeze you....They aren't squeezing me cuz I will pay their price....

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: Update on what Tailwater had in mind from begining 2014/03/20 20:14:01 (permalink)
So only someone who can afford to pay should be allowed to fish in an exceptional fishery.  I have lived here my WHOLE FING LIFE and  put more than your 3k a year into this community.   So because I cannot afford to pay I am not allowed to fish in something MY tax dollars fund.  People like you are the problem not the solution.   Another self-rightous,  I am entitled just because I have money and you don't..........................

Rich you beat me to posting.
Same thoughts
post edited by Clint S - 2014/03/20 20:15:39

chartist
Expert Angler
Re: Update on what Tailwater had in mind from begining 2014/03/20 20:17:42 (permalink)
Clint, the fishery is way underpriced and you know it......Go to Alaska, where the experience of catching salmon is fairly equal, and pay $1000 a day....Sorry, but the market knows it's undervalued and it's going to be priced higher.....So cry about, write whomever you want, but that fishery is going to be priced higher....And, kill the messenger, but you know I am right.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Update on what Tailwater had in mind from begining 2014/03/20 20:23:09 (permalink)
Right on Clint !!
It's people like that who do absolutely nothing in support of a fishery ..
Mr.1/0 hook has no concept and New York would be much better without them.

Ah..... It ain't worth wasting my time discussing with a closed minded selfish idiot

chartist
Expert Angler
Re: Update on what Tailwater had in mind from begining 2014/03/20 20:25:13 (permalink)
And you know the purpose of money?  It's for rationing a scarce commodity....Space is getting rare on the SR...So, those who can afford more, get more....So Clint, if your income doesn't allow you the same amount of access as mine, well that's too bad, and it's capitalism....And if you don't support capitalism, you must be a communist...
chartist
Expert Angler
Re: Update on what Tailwater had in mind from begining 2014/03/20 20:29:33 (permalink)
No Tune.....You want to feed at the salad buffet for $2.99 and eat all you want...You know what, private enterprise realizes that buffet is way too cheap and being gobbled up by cheapskate locals....Make it $200 for a weekend pass...I'd love it....
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: Update on what Tailwater had in mind from begining 2014/03/20 20:37:26 (permalink)
FU I am done

Rich I just changed your letter a bit and put my name on it if you don't mind.

Mr. Cuomo:
It has come to my attention  that there is discussion about the state of New York possibly making a deal with the Woodbine group to forgo state Public Fishing Rights on the north side of the salmon river in Altmar , NY if they purchase land on the north bank.
They have already purchased property on the south bank and have made that area a private resort lodge excluding the public fishermen.
 Public fishing rights are just that PUBLIC.   Privatizing any areas that are now public on a river that is stocked with fish that are funded with PUBLIC tax dollars would be a travesty.
If there is any truth to this matter of New York State allowing a private company to be excluded from the permanent statue of a PFR then it will be a sad day for the sportsman and women of New York.
I strongly urge you to not support any such action:
Thank you:
Clinton Stelmashuck

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Update on what Tailwater had in mind from begining 2014/03/20 20:41:46 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Clint S 2014/03/20 20:49:13
I'm sure you would only wish it restricted to those with blond hair and blue eyes as well , for lack of a better term.
I have nothing more to say to you except stay in Ohio and spend your chump change there to support your own fishery .

chartist
Expert Angler
Re: Update on what Tailwater had in mind from begining 2014/03/20 20:50:08 (permalink)
Make it $1000 per month for SR access during October....I am all in.....I am tired of cheap locals...wooohooooo.....
chartist
Expert Angler
Re: Update on what Tailwater had in mind from begining 2014/03/20 20:59:09 (permalink)
aha, love it Coldfront....I don't like cheap fishermen....now pony up and enjoy the best stream east of the Rockies.....
pensfan1
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3425
Re: Update on what Tailwater had in mind from begining 2014/03/21 00:20:54 (permalink)
chartist
Clint, the fishery is way underpriced and you know it......Go to Alaska, where the experience of catching salmon is fairly equal, and pay $1000 a day...

Don't know if you have ever been to AK, but We spent $4000 a piece for a 9dayer. That was flight, rental car, fuel, lodging, fishing, processing and shipping of our catch, spending cash, ect. ect. To say that it's $1000 a day??? There is a sucker born every day. Maybe you watch too much Seasons on the Fly. I will say this, you droppin 3grand on The SR is kinda silly considering another grand will get you to Alaska. Jus say'IN.... Ofcourse it's no flossfest so you might be out of yer element.

O ya one more thing. Comparing catching  pellethead hatchery Kings to a wild, salt run Alaskan Kings makes you sound even more silly.
post edited by pensfan1 - 2014/03/21 00:26:07
twobob
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1674
Re: Update on what Tailwater had in mind from begining 2014/03/21 02:28:58 (permalink)
I could stay on the home water for a year.
I would also vote against anyone in office that allows this to happen.
I would support closing the hatchery and ending the minimum flow policy.
That would over a 5 year period virtually end natural repo.
Change the law to no kill for the entire river and change it to say when you have landed a fish you must stop fishing .

Then put on an ad campaign say come fish the world famous SR elitists, suckers, and ashholes.
Then twats like our resident troll can have the river to himself.
He fits the requirements to a T.
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: Update on what Tailwater had in mind from begining 2014/03/21 06:57:06 (permalink)
pensfan1
chartist
Clint, the fishery is way underpriced and you know it......Go to Alaska, where the experience of catching salmon is fairly equal, and pay $1000 a day...

Don't know if you have ever been to AK, but We spent $4000 a piece for a 9dayer. That was flight, rental car, fuel, lodging, fishing, processing and shipping of our catch, spending cash, ect. ect. To say that it's $1000 a day??? There is a sucker born every day. Maybe you watch too much Seasons on the Fly. I will say this, you droppin 3grand on The SR is kinda silly considering another grand will get you to Alaska. Jus say'IN.... Ofcourse it's no flossfest so you might be out of yer element.

O ya one more thing. Comparing catching  pellethead hatchery Kings to a wild, salt run Alaskan Kings makes you sound even more silly.

And that is why I chose to stay here in Oswego county where we have PFR's and I can fish for the cost of a 8 mile ride up. 

post edited by Clint S - 2014/03/21 06:59:58

pensfan1
Pro Angler
Re: Update on what Tailwater had in mind from begining 2014/03/21 08:24:54 (permalink)
The SR is a great fishery and resource. For big business to make it a pay to play is a shame. I guess some guys feel the more money you spend the better you are. I hope this doesn't go through.
pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
Re: Update on what Tailwater had in mind from begining 2014/03/21 13:40:45 (permalink)
I made a post last night that expressed my thoughts of this idiot "chartist",the administrators pulled the post and warned me to stay with in their guidelines.I apologize to the admin. of this site and commend them for running a great forum.
I suggest we all ignore the idiot "chartist" and he can then talk to himself in the future.
As far as what this Tailwater Lodge is trying to do by locking up the river for their profit let it be known they will NEVER see me spending a dime at their lodge or restaurant....EVER!!!
fichy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1896
Re: Update on what Tailwater had in mind from begining 2014/03/21 13:42:49 (permalink)
My posts are as well received here as Chartist's, but I'll add one more before  I go back to the occasional lurk. This topic may be a moot point, as the PFR bank rights are sold in perpetuity and are maintained irrespective of property changing hands. If you look at Tailhook's  Facebook page, you'll read some interesting things between the lines. They are offering some promotional discounts for lodging and they have a plea out for guides to be on their list. This tells me a few things- that 179 bucks is not very palatable to most, and that the locals aren't fawning all over them and lining up to go into indentured servitude. They very well may attempt to get the North Bank through some legal; shenanigans, but they'll face a number of obstacles to get there.
  1. This would create an instant problem for the state boat launch- if they succeed, they very well may be forced to pay for another launch below their property.
 2. Local opinion will be such that acts of "terrorism" will be inevitable. A few clients with Ohio plates with slashed tires will put out a very effective ad campaign in the wrong direction.
 3. The state's tax coffers aren't served when you trade  the many penny pinching paupers for the well heeled occasional visitor. Local businesses will suffer, as Chartist stated he'll eat somewhere expensive, but displace 3 guys who'll spend half as much as he does. You do the math.  Tax breaks and tax write-offs do not spell profit and real revenue generation.
 4. The potential for corporate business ala conventions is on the wane.
Investors don't want to see lavish expense accounts for the mid level rabble any longer. You can easily conduct business over your phone and tele-conferencing- no need for very expensive conventions that eat profits. Many cities are dialing back on their plans for convention centers, Albany's included. TL is going to have an even harder go.
   They're starting to do the foolish practice of throwing money at a bad idea. In the end, they may hold their own, and make the 99'ers suck ****, but there will be some bad blood generated.  
   For myself, I leave for one of the premier rainbow rivers in the US next week, the San Juan. I'll spend my time doing some pretty difficult technical fishing for 20" plus bows with flies from 22 thru 28. I'll be camping for 9 bucks a night and eating off my backpacking stove. There's not much for fancy lodging nearby, anyway. The SJ seems to attract real fisherman that don't need to resort to snagging to have a successful trip. I'm also taking a rim to rim backpacking trip in the Grand Canyon , but that ain't fishin'.
It's a very sad state of affairs when people think snagging sharks in the SR is a badge of honor and a sign of angling skill. It's worth it to us that don't travel that far and  spend a lot of money on it for some laughs and fun, but pretty ludicrous to consider it on par with Atlantic Salmon fishing, or many, many other fisheries  across the economic spectrum that require real skills.
   That's enough from me for the next 6 or 7 months.
Hope everyone has a productive spring and summer.

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: Update on what Tailwater had in mind from begining 2014/03/21 20:26:30 (permalink)
Good to hear from you Charlie and have fun on the SJ.

I said it from the beginning when the tax breaks go so will it maybe before.   BTW  went by tonight and  the place was EMPTY again.  Only cars out back.

troutbum21
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1301
Re: Update on what Tailwater had in mind from begining 2014/03/21 21:12:53 (permalink)
Here is the kick in the head: Tailwater gets a sweetheart price, tax abatements for ten years and then has the audacity to buy property on the north river bank in the hope of negating public fishing rights.  I wonder how the owner gets his pants on in the morning with balls that big? 
Lucky13
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1949
Re: Update on what Tailwater had in mind from begining 2014/03/21 21:31:37 (permalink)
He figures to be able to attract enough snagging bag of dung Ohio mule rectums who have already been shunned on the Erie board.  But we could also just start releasing weak fish down in the homeless pools in town.  Or start an action against introduction of invasive aquatic vectors for moving Mirex into the tribs, but then we don't get the fish either.

But lets see if we can find out more of the truth first.  We have already paid for the access, Mr Monopoly Man has just started paying.  And if everyone that lives here remembers all this in November, we may be talking to a different governor after January next year, one who would not put your sister out on a street corner.

L13

pensfan1
Pro Angler
Re: Update on what Tailwater had in mind from begining 2014/03/21 21:53:05 (permalink)
fichy
My posts are as well received here as Chartist's, but I'll add one more before  I go back to the occasional lurk. This topic may be a moot point, as the PFR bank rights are sold in perpetuity and are maintained irrespective of property changing hands. If you look at Tailhook's  Facebook page, you'll read some interesting things between the lines. They are offering some promotional discounts for lodging and they have a plea out for guides to be on their list. This tells me a few things- that 179 bucks is not very palatable to most, and that the locals aren't fawning all over them and lining up to go into indentured servitude. They very well may attempt to get the North Bank through some legal; shenanigans, but they'll face a number of obstacles to get there.  1. This would create an instant problem for the state boat launch- if they succeed, they very well may be forced to pay for another launch below their property. 2. Local opinion will be such that acts of "terrorism" will be inevitable. A few clients with Ohio plates with slashed tires will put out a very effective ad campaign in the wrong direction. 3. The state's tax coffers aren't served when you trade  the many penny pinching paupers for the well heeled occasional visitor. Local businesses will suffer, as Chartist stated he'll eat somewhere expensive, but displace 3 guys who'll spend half as much as he does. You do the math.  Tax breaks and tax write-offs do not spell profit and real revenue generation. 4. The potential for corporate business ala conventions is on the wane.Investors don't want to see lavish expense accounts for the mid level rabble any longer. You can easily conduct business over your phone and tele-conferencing- no need for very expensive conventions that eat profits. Many cities are dialing back on their plans for convention centers, Albany's included. TL is going to have an even harder go.   They're starting to do the foolish practice of throwing money at a bad idea. In the end, they may hold their own, and make the 99'ers suck ****, but there will be some bad blood generated.     For myself, I leave for one of the premier rainbow rivers in the US next week, the San Juan. I'll spend my time doing some pretty difficult technical fishing for 20" plus bows with flies from 22 thru 28. I'll be camping for 9 bucks a night and eating off my backpacking stove. There's not much for fancy lodging nearby, anyway. The SJ seems to attract real fisherman that don't need to resort to snagging to have a successful trip. I'm also taking a rim to rim backpacking trip in the Grand Canyon , but that ain't fishin'.It's a very sad state of affairs when people think snagging sharks in the SR is a badge of honor and a sign of angling skill. It's worth it to us that don't travel that far and  spend a lot of money on it for some laughs and fun, but pretty ludicrous to consider it on par with Atlantic Salmon fishing, or many, many other fisheries  across the economic spectrum that require real skills.   That's enough from me for the next 6 or 7 months.Hope everyone has a productive spring and summer.      

That's good one right there, well said. Enjoy your trip.
Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Jump to: