Helpful ReplyWhy would you need # 1/0 hooks,weather, hijacks and all other tangents

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 13
Author
dimebrite2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1625
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Why would you need # 1/0 hooks 2013/12/29 20:06:12 (permalink)
Chartist, you are right mostly, but I will say I have left fish to find fish and had it pay off... not common thougb
fichy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1896
Re: Why would you need # 1/0 hooks 2013/12/29 20:11:36 (permalink)
DSR's report said there was good, even excellent   fishing Thursday, Friday, Sat, and now, today. That fresh fish had come in. I was considering fishing there, even.   That's what I went by. I thought they were getting honest. Was I wrong? Dime,  I actually thought your report and post  was well written and somehow I got sidetracked in congratulating you. I don't have all the answers, but neither do you. I also spoke with a few friends that regularly travel over from Vermont and they did well in Pineville . I very well may have cabin fever and a whole lot of pressure from life in general. So i'll leave the bickering and snark . Good luck to anyone who goes no matter how you fish. I'll still put in reports  occasionally  and leave it at that.  I apologise for my argumentative nature lately,  lots going on OFF river. If that's not good enough, you know who I am. I never hid behind anything and never will.

pensfan1
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3425
Re: Why would you need # 1/0 hooks 2013/12/29 20:15:59 (permalink)
I would have to agree with the snaggr classification, no need for anything bigger than a 10 or 8 for Kings. Even the 8 is a little large for an egg pattern but I know guys that use them. I myself will sometimes go down to a size 12 to avoid foulin' em as much. Obviously too many guys think they know and pass on bad info to the masses, who eat it up. " Tons of weight and grappling hooks is the only way to git em"..... NICE TRY PAL!  Maybe if you took time to actually learn how to fish rather than floss/lift/snag you mite enjoy the time even more. We dont even go to the SR for Kings. I went once and that was enuff, jus say'IN. Its a beautiful river and awesome fishery. It's a shame what goes on there during "The Run"....JIMO
chartist
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 925
Re: Why would you need # 1/0 hooks 2013/12/29 20:22:12 (permalink)

IMG_1291.jpg

there, my fly next to a quarter....Hope you enjoy it.  I am still going to use this fly next year, with or without the approval of any posters.
dimebrite2
Pro Angler
Re: Why would you need # 1/0 hooks 2013/12/29 20:30:47 (permalink)
Wow, what a **** show of a thread!!! I am literally laughing out loud!!!

Charlie, life sucks sometimes for sure. At least you have good times spent on the river and elsewhere with friends and family. And yes dsr reported good action. I unfortunately waited a little too long to go yesterday and it was not so hot. Talked with guys who went double digits for the day and some who hooked none. I was the only one to hook up out of the 6-8 anglers I encountered while there. Although I nearly waded in above my boots, almost broke my rod and had the fish snap the line between my legs after a 100+ yard battle... it was better than a 10 hook up day of while standing in an assembly line up river... it definitely got my heart going...now let's put this stupid thread to rest.
twobob
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1674
Re: Why would you need # 1/0 hooks 2013/12/30 07:26:23 (permalink)
Snagger's pic didn't show on my computer.
HE managed to put up a movie and another pic so I know the ability exists.

Dime what is stupid about asking why that large of a hook is needed when it is obviously not to produce a larger profile fly?
I take offense to that characterization.

Pensfan I often fish 7x long #2 streamers for kings.
Big bright flies seeking aggressive fish.
Not small and black with a giant hook gap.
I also believe I foul less fish with the bigger hooks not only because they can see them coming better but because they are not as sticky sharp as the smaller hooks 
When the river is full of kings your bait will bump into fish no matter what you are doing and larger hooks seem to slide off better if not set by the rodholder.
That is why I asked for the pic.
I wanted all the available info before making a judgement
To see if it was just hook gap for the sake of hook gap.

Some people just prove themselves to be not worth trying to help.
Sad but true
Snag on!

post edited by twobob - 2013/12/30 07:29:31
chartist
Expert Angler
Re: Why would you need # 1/0 hooks 2013/12/30 07:53:58 (permalink)
Twobob, I don't need your help...I am using the 1/0 octopus hook cuz it worked, and the fish were NOT snagged.  I am a C/R fly fisherman for ALL species.  Take a look at the octopus hook closely, the tip is curved inward which I believe makes them less prone to snagging....
twobob
Pro Angler
Re: Why would you need # 1/0 hooks 2013/12/30 08:52:16 (permalink)
As for reports they only reflect the day that the poster had.
Two reports from the same day can vary greatly but both still be honest.

The first few times I fished for kings this year I smelled badly of skunk while others reported banner days.
I saw fish so I have no doubt the reports were true.
Its just that the fish had lost their aggressiveness by the time they reached my location and the other people either were fishing over aggressive fish or a method by which that didn't matter.
I sure it was a combination of each.
pensfan1
Pro Angler
Re: Why would you need # 1/0 hooks 2013/12/30 13:32:30 (permalink)
2b,

There is definetly a difference in swingin' streamers and dead driftin/flossin' with a "turtle hook" wrapped in estaz.. I also agree with the "louder" the better on the streamer patterns. Swingin' to a hot fish can produce bone jarring strikes. Sometimes the BIG Ugly is what they key on and when you do hook up with one there is NO doubt. It's right in tha beak. Jus clear'IN that up, jus say'IN...
chartist
Expert Angler
Re: Why would you need # 1/0 hooks 2013/12/30 14:24:34 (permalink)
pensfan1
2b,

There is definetly a difference in swingin' streamers and dead driftin/flossin' with a "turtle hook" wrapped in estaz.. I also agree with the "louder" the better on the streamer patterns. Swingin' to a hot fish can produce bone jarring strikes. Sometimes the BIG Ugly is what they key on and when you do hook up with one there is NO doubt. It's right in tha beak. Jus clear'IN that up, jus say'IN...

There sure is - the streamers didn't work!!!  I saw perhaps 50+ salmon when walking across the Altmar bridge the first weekend in October.  I tried for about 30 minutes using a black egg sucking leech on a size 4 hook and they wouldn't touch it.  I tied on that hook pictured above and had 8 hookups in 45 minutes.  I got spooled a few times and quit as my arms were falling off and it was Miller time.  People around me were wondering what I was using cuz they couldn't catch anything.
pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
Re: Why would you need # 1/0 hooks 2013/12/30 15:35:16 (permalink)
This is getting old....just saying
twobob
Pro Angler
Re: Why would you need # 1/0 hooks 2013/12/30 17:02:37 (permalink)
Pfan I was hoping to clear up what I was trying to point out.
I knew you GOT it but was trying to be sure my writing was reflecting my meaning.

Pa no BS.
8 hookups in 45 minutes fishing a black fly on a big hook.
I would say that is below average for many of the hardcore snaggists.
Especially those who don't need to learn anything.

Thanks cold, somehow it feels fitting at times.
When picking the avatar I saw the pic from a distance and it was a line of tanks a far as the shot could capture and I'm sure hundreds more after that.
That was 1 very ballsy mofo in that picture.

twobob
Pro Angler
Re: Why would you need # 1/0 hooks 2013/12/30 19:06:39 (permalink)
That would be nice cold but everything I have read seems to say they either never knew for sure who he was to reports that he was shot buy firing squad
Ballsy whatever the true story is.
pensfan1
Pro Angler
Re: Why would you need # 1/0 hooks 2013/12/30 20:41:08 (permalink)
chartist

IMG_1291.jpg

there, my fly next to a quarter....Hope you enjoy it.  I am still going to use this fly next year, with or without the approval of any posters.

Whats up with the pic? Doesnt show up. jus ask'IN jus say'IN...
twobob
Pro Angler
Re: Why would you need # 1/0 hooks 2013/12/31 05:48:50 (permalink)
UMM.. Can't duplicate that pic he posted of a black estaz fly next to a quarter.

Wild guess but  he can't make the estaz cover the hook the way it did on that #8 he posted claiming it was a 1/0?
Maybe?

Just so he knows.
There is a facebook page by snagger from mmf forum that is a big pat yourself on the back for snagging salmon circle jerk.
Of course its hush hush and by invite only.

dimebrite2
Pro Angler
Re: Why would you need # 1/0 hooks 2013/12/31 05:59:46 (permalink)
pensfan1
2b, There is definetly a difference in swingin' streamers and dead driftin/flossin' with a "turtle hook" wrapped in estaz.. I also agree with the "louder" the better on the streamer patterns. Swingin' to a hot fish can produce bone jarring strikes. Sometimes the BIG Ugly is what they key on and when you do hook up with one there is NO doubt. It's right in tha beak. Jus clear'IN that up, jus say'IN...

Just askin here...

Pensafan are you insinuating that anyone dead drifting is flossing?

Again, just askin...
twobob
Pro Angler
Re: Why would you need # 1/0 hooks 2013/12/31 09:01:30 (permalink)
Can't answer for PF but most of the flossers I see are not dead drifting..
They get down into the fish zone and then speed up the hook leading it  across stream with the rod.
Anti swinging as it were since  most swinging is down with the rod following the line.
A much slower down and across presentation.
Lots of fish do get flossed dead drifting but I think more are by accident than on purpose.
dimebrite2
Pro Angler
Re: Why would you need # 1/0 hooks 2013/12/31 09:11:57 (permalink)
Agreed Bob... I'd say dead drifting is more prone to an unintentional foul hook more so. I've even flossed and fouled fish while swinging and believe it or not with a spin rod and bobber as well... no method is fool proof
pensfan1
Pro Angler
Re: Why would you need # 1/0 hooks 2013/12/31 10:12:07 (permalink)
dimebrite2
pensfan1
2b, There is definetly a difference in swingin' streamers and dead driftin/flossin' with a "turtle hook" wrapped in estaz.. I also agree with the "louder" the better on the streamer patterns. Swingin' to a hot fish can produce bone jarring strikes. Sometimes the BIG Ugly is what they key on and when you do hook up with one there is NO doubt. It's right in tha beak. Jus clear'IN that up, jus say'IN...

Just askin here...

Again, just askin...

Not at all. Maybe its not dead drifting as much as it is dragging across the current, into the zone, then lifting or setting at the first sign of a fish. I'm no expert in the art of force feedin em, but if yer usin a buncha weight and a huge hook, you mite be a flosser..

As you also said, no method is fool proof. With that many fish, yer bound to foul em once in a while. Saying I saw 50+ fish and no one else got any but me should raise a flag. Either yer a better fisherman than evryone else that was there OR..... Well u get the idea.

IMO, jus say'IN
post edited by pensfan1 - 2013/12/31 10:27:59
dimebrite2
Pro Angler
Re: Why would you need # 1/0 hooks 2013/12/31 10:37:46 (permalink)
pensfan1
dimebrite2
pensfan1

Just askin here...

Again, just askin...

Not at all. Maybe its not dead drifting as much as it is dragging across the current, into the zone, then lifting or setting at the first sign of a fish. I'm no expert in the art of force feedin em, but if yer usin a buncha weight and a huge hook, you mite be a flosser..

As you also said, no method is fool proof. With that many fish, yer bound to foul em once in a while. Saying I saw 50+ fish and no one else got any but me should raise a flag. Either yer a better fisherman than evryone else that was there OR..... Well u get the idea.

IMO, jus say'IN

Thanks for the clarification. I hoNestly started fishing for steelhead with the fly rod and we naturally started leaning towards using more weight and dead drifting. If course as years went by many folks began faking advantage of the legal regulations and foul hooking and flossing was labeled on anyone who used weight with a fly rod... then the term chuck and duck came out. I will honestly say that I've had my best days for steelhead with a running line and slinky weights with surprisingly estaz flies. I can assure you that they were not flossex or foul hooked fish either. Although its been many years coupled with my rod of choice the past few years being a spin rod, I have thought of tar getting steelhead in deeper pools with a c and d rig... I'm at a point in mg life where I don't care what anyone says or thinks. That's the problem with these fisheries today... too many opinions and voices... who gives a fukk... just go and fish...

Happy new years
twobob
Pro Angler
Re: Why would you need # 1/0 hooks 2013/12/31 12:54:19 (permalink)
If you add, as long as it  is legal, I will agree with you dime.
Actually fish, be curtious  and I don't give a  rat's atz how you do it.

uglyfish
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 561
Re: Why would you need # 1/0 hooks 2013/12/31 14:46:36 (permalink)
    Here I sit stuck at work day dreaming of fishing. Its been a bit since I've been on the board with the holidays and all but I have to tell you this thread has made my afternoon very funny, comical. Just want to say happy new year to you all and hope to see you on the water soon. Wish you all the best
dimebrite2
Pro Angler
Re: Why would you need # 1/0 hooks 2013/12/31 16:42:51 (permalink)
twobob
If you add, as long as it  is legal, I will agree with you dime.Actually fish, be curtious  and I don't give a  rat's atz how you do it.  

Legal was a given in my explanation as I referred to not lining or foul hooking. But I figured you'd agree with me. Its only fishing in the end.

It is probably the most effective method for fishing faster deep runs where fish are nosed to the bottom or sheltered under a slate undercut at the head of a pool... why fish just one way. Can't tell you how many times I've been out with my traditional fly rigs wishing I could get down fast in the head of a pool with an egg pattern... had the spin rig out this past weekend with a bobber and was very tempted to bottom bounce with some sacs. Every method has its perk...
twobob
Pro Angler
Re: Why would you need # 1/0 hooks 2013/12/31 16:55:28 (permalink)
And to you ugs.
And to all.

Agree to disagree dime.
The best way to fish that water is with straight mono.
Cuts the water like a Japanese chefs knife as opposed to a plastic pic a nik knife.

And yes fish fairly, respect others and have at it whatever way floats your boat.

dimebrite2
Pro Angler
Re: Why would you need # 1/0 hooks 2013/12/31 17:05:52 (permalink)
Very true with the mono. I believe a good friend yours who's local still fishes with mono at times for steel and mostly for salmon. Don't think I'll ever spool mono up on any of my reels. I actually prefer a 3 or 4 weight wf if I'm deep drifting with a fly rod... it allows mend ability and drift ability, and with out too much weight it permits a roll or switch cast even... a straight running line or mono allows c and d only and ices up guides majorly as stripping your line completely in is the only option for casting
twobob
Pro Angler
Re: Why would you need # 1/0 hooks 2014/01/01 06:20:29 (permalink)
Well it seems as if my tendonitis is the least of my problems at this point.
Went to end the year with a fish or two yesterday.
Found a patch of ice with slickness a Zamboni couldn't match.
Suddenly I was looking at both my feet even with my head and a feeling of trepidation.
Saved the rod(first rule of fishing)
then took the impact on my right elbow.
This caused I believe a minor shoulder dislocation.
Went fishing anyways (pain was there but not too bad with limited movements)
Missed the first fish while trying to locate a helicopter.
Second fish came as I was changing hands with the rod, ran 5 feet and fell off.Came home and had to pea.
When I went to shake the snake there was a pop like a gunshot and my arm fell limp at my side.
Lots of PAIN.
But as I sit here now on 3 Advil and a pair of hydros it seems much better today.
Happy New Year all.

PS when my good friend Bill fishes with me he has only fished tapered fly line.
He says hes a hack but he gets the job done.

post edited by twobob - 2014/01/01 06:23:07
dimebrite2
Pro Angler
Re: Why would you need # 1/0 hooks 2014/01/01 16:58:37 (permalink)
Bobbee... you gotta take it easy man. I hope a trip to the Dr. Is in store as you don't want to let something like that heal wrong...

I remember a few years back chips man talked about using mono on the fly rod... not saying this as an insult or jab of any nature...just sayin... heal up now
Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
Re: Why would you need # 1/0 hooks 2014/01/01 18:08:58 (permalink)
If it was dislocated and it popped back in and you can move it now there is not much a dr can do except for pain meds.   Keep an eye on it though.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

twobob
Pro Angler
Re: Why would you need # 1/0 hooks 2014/01/01 18:27:50 (permalink)
Thanks Clint that is what I thought.
I have read that until the muscles and ligaments were healed it could happen again rather easily.
The pain can be quite severe when the elbow leaves my side (I can take it) and definately hurts when any resistance is encountered.
It certainly is nice having you on the board Clint
Any ideas on average time required to heal?
r2g2
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 152
Re: Why would you need # 1/0 hooks 2014/01/01 18:43:10 (permalink)
When we get up to 'our' area  Bob healing seems to take a very long time.
 Take care bud.
 Still better than the alternative.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 13
Jump to: