Lets Talk Fishing Already!!

Author
ShutUpNFish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3834
  • Reward points: 0
2007/04/12 08:58:07 (permalink)

Lets Talk Fishing Already!!

I know alot of you guys are strictly fly fishermen, but theres a spot in my heart for spinner fishing for trout.  When I was a kid, my dad used to take my brothers and I down to the Slippery Rock Creek trout fishing.... we learned on spinners (rooster tails and panther martins).  I found this interesting read that you guys might find cool, especially since The trout opener is this Saturday.  Feel free to share your thoughts and experiences with any of these trout producing spinners.

6 Hot Spinners For Springtime Trout
From old standbys to newer designs, here are six tried-and-tested spinners that’ll catch trout for you right now and throughout the fishing season.By Jack Bell

Photo by Ron Sinfelt

Over 40 years ago, when I was just cutting my angling teeth on nearby trout streams, one thing became clear one bright morning on one of my favorite streams. It was April and the water was still high, clear and cold, but slowly warming. I’d been dead-drifting a part of a night crawler and picking up an occasional rainbow and a hatchery brook trout or two. However, I could see other trout and for whatever reason, they were not attacking my bait as aggressively as normal.

MEPPS AGLIA
I switched to a maggot for bait, but the results were the same. Ditto for salmon eggs, a little action, but nothing to get too excited about. Finally, I decided to try a small 1/8-ounce Mepps Aglia spinner. I pitched the little spinner up into a churning plume of white water and started a slow retrieve that barely kept the lure just off the bottom. The Mepps hadn’t gone 2 feet when a savage strike almost jerked the little ultralight rod from my hands.

After landing the lively 13-inch rainbow, I thought, Well, let’s see whether that was a fluke hit or not. Two casts later, a dandy 11-inch native brook trout smashed the spinner. The rest of that morning that little Mepps lure had given me what, up until that time in my young angling career, one of those days that is indelibly etched in my memory.

This has largely been the case with hundreds of thousands of anglers around the world. Spinners should be an integral part of any serious trout fisherman’s arsenal. They come in a vast array of sizes, color combinations and blade types. They are easy to use, relatively cheap and catch incredible numbers of fish. Spinners are to fishing what frying pans are to cooking: pretty much indispensable!

Without a doubt, probably one of the finest spinners ever created is the venerable Mepps. Created by French engineer Andre Muelnart in 1938, the little lure enjoyed minor success in Europe, but what catapulted it to worldwide fame was a somewhat unusual turn of events. Todd Sheldon, who owned a successful tackle shop in Antigo, Wisconsin, had been having a tough day on the Wolf River in the spring of 1951, not too far from his shop.

After plying the Wolf River’s pools and runs for an hour or so with little to show for it, Sheldon finally decided to try a little lure friend Frank Velek, a World War II GI veteran who returned from Europe two years earlier, had given to him. A couple of hours and four trout later, Todd Sheldon was so convinced of the little lure’s trout appeal that he became an agent for Mepps spinners. Sheldon, after seeing the initial response that these lures generated in the Midwest, sold his store in 1956 and formed Sheldon’s Inc. to focus his attention on the import lure trade with the primary focus being on the full line of Mepps spinners.

The Mepps Aglia is the original French spinner. It is an in-line lure that makes use of a heavy-duty stainless steel shaft to which a concave oval blade is attached, along with a spinner body and a treble hook. The blade can be polished brass, copper or painted. Some models of the lure can also be adorned with plastic or solid brass beads. However, the pièce de résistance on the Mepps Aglia is a tuft of squirrel tail that adorns these lures and acts as a skirt above the treble hooks.

Sheldon started dressing Mepps spinners with tufts of squirrel tail and buck tail after a happenstance occurrence on one of his favorite rivers. After having had a decent day of trout fishing, Sheldon was headed back to his vehicle when he ran into a teenager who’d also had a banner day. After inquiring what the lad had caught his trout on, most of which were larger than Sheldon’s, the teenager displayed a Mepps spinner. However, unlike Sheldon’s spinner, the boy’s lure had a tuft of squirrel tail tied in just above the hooks.

This started Sheldon on a major experimentation spree where he tried fox, coyote, badger, skunk, bobcat, bear and even Angus cow hair on the lures. After several seasons of testing, he had conclusively determined that squirrel tail and buck tail provided the best action on their lures.

Over the years, my favorites in the Mepps series included the Black Fury and the Comet, in addition to the Aglia. This is one lure that no spin-fisherman should ever leave the house without!

WORDEN’S ORIGINAL ROOSTER TAIL
Another lure that has more than stood the test of time is the Rooster Tail spinner. Manufactured by the Yakima Bait Company out of Granger, Washington, Worden’s Rooster Tails come in 10 different sizes and three styles of lures. Rooster Tails also come in over 50 color possibilities. They came out with a red hook version the past couple of years. This is also a lure originally developed with trout, walleyes and steelhead in mind, but it will also catch other freshwater species.

After taking over his father’s lure company in the 1950s, Howard Worden helped create and develop a number of popular lures. The Rooster Tail, however, is by far the most famous of this company’s offerings.

PANTHER MARTIN
One lure that has produced more often for me than not is the Panther Martin. Given that there have been more than 60 million of them produced and sold since its inception by a Polish angler in the late 1940s, it appears there are quite a few other fishermen who also hold this tremendous little lure in high regard.

Harrison-Hoge Industries bought the rights to the Panther Martin from Rockland Tackle in 1961. At that time, the Panther Martin was being manufactured in Italy. The first year Cecil Hoge Sr. imported and peddled the Panther Martin lure, it didn’t exactly sell out as planned. At that time, the company was operating out of a small warehouse in Harrison, New Jersey. Cecil Hoge Jr., who now runs the company, explained in a recent conversation that their lures are now being made in China and sales continue to be brisk.

In addition to their traditional sonic spinner, their fly spinner is another successful variation of the original lure, which has a tuft of colorful buck tail acting as a skirt over the treble hook. The two most popular color combinations are the black with the yellow spotted body and gold blade.

BLUE FOX SUPER VIBRAX
A lure that has been rapidly gaining in popularity over the past 10 or so years is the Blue Fox Super Vibrax. This spinner has a two-part body that emits very low-frequency sound vibrations, which draws the interest of most game fish species. The Blue Fox Super Vibrax comes in four different lure types: plated, wild-eye, painted and fox tail. It is available in seven different weights. This spinner is produced by the venerable Finnish lure, filet knife and hook manufacturer Rapala/VMC. It should be noted that Lauri Rapala’s lures hold more world records than any other lure ever manufactured.

TWO OTHER HONORABLE MENTIONS
Two other spinners that bear mention in the top five are Mack’s Lures Kokanee Killer, which comes in either a treble-hook or single-hook design. The lure’s body is made up of red beads and it is a proven trout/salmon catcher. The second is Luhr-Jensen’s Shyster. The Shyster is another in-line spinner that’s been a steady trout producer for years, and like the other “super stars” mentioned above, comes in a variety of color and weight combinations.

In-line spinners have a lot going for them. They are versatile, durable and come in a wide variety of body shapes, sizes, weights and colors. Spinners catch numerous species of fish, including trout. Spinners are easy to fish and are productive in just about any type of water, from the tiniest of mountain brook trout streams on up to the largest rivers and lakes. When put into the hands of someone proficient with an ultralight spinning rod, the end result is a bent rod and hard-fighting trout attached to the terminal end!

21 Replies Related Threads

SmallieKiller
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2127
    RE: Lets Talk Fishing Already!! 2007/04/12 09:02:22 (permalink)
    Panther Martin's are the Money Lure in my book.  Black w/ gold blade.
    rapala11
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6218
    RE: Lets Talk Fishing Already!! 2007/04/12 09:13:46 (permalink)
    ouch, you forgot my favorite in line......the cp swing.
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: Lets Talk Fishing Already!! 2007/04/12 09:18:59 (permalink)
    This was an online article I found, but yes I know.  I used to use one called the Swiss Swing that I still have.  Good spinner!

Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1887
    RE: Lets Talk Fishing Already!! 2007/04/12 09:26:47 (permalink)
    Black or white rooster tails are all you need.  If a trout will hit one spinner, it would have hit any of them.  Spinner biters are generally aggressive (and stupid)  trout that haven't been caught too many time before or lately.  I'd hardly call them a "must have" for trout fisherman.  Maybe a must have because they are fun to fish with, but not because of their effectiveness.
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: Lets Talk Fishing Already!! 2007/04/12 09:42:28 (permalink)
    Hi Stillhead...

I believe if you are a versitile fisherman, you will have a spinner or two in your arsenal when fishing for any sport fish.  It has been proven time and again that the spinner, over the years, is the most fish producing artificial lure of all time.  It could quite possibly be because of it's age but they, without a doubt, produce fish.  I'd say thats effective.  The combination of flash and vibration are deadly and provoke reaction strikes better than any other lure I've seen.  I'm only saying that because of my own personal experience however.  I agree with the color comment for trout anyhow.  Black and white are really all you need.  Now for muskies, I like the black with gold blade and yellow with silver blade.....I have noticed color makes a difference for muskies when it comes to water clarity and light conditions.  One of the deadliest methods I've used for trout is with a white rooster tail 1/8 oz., add a few split shot about a foot above the lure....cast upstream and let the spinner drift down, twitching it from time to time primarily letting it flutter in the current....caught alot of trout this way and throughout the season.  You're right, catching any fish with a spinner is FUN!!
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2007/04/12 09:48:08

Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    RE: Lets Talk Fishing Already!! 2007/04/12 10:32:52 (permalink)
    I agree spinners work, but I think they work better for other species.  Trout will hit them, especially if they haven't seen them before.  But take them to any trout stream that gets allot of pressure and has good bug hatches and see how far they get you.

You say "It has been proven time and again that the spinner, over the years, is the most fish producing artificial lure of all time."

Who has proven that?    I'd vote Jigs to be the most fish producing lure of all time, and if anyone would think for just a second about that, I can't see how they could even begin to disagree.

post edited by Stillhead - 2007/04/12 10:36:05
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: Lets Talk Fishing Already!! 2007/04/12 11:38:05 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Stillhead

I agree spinners work, but I think they work better for other species.  Trout will hit them, especially if they haven't seen them before.  But take them to any trout stream that gets allot of pressure and has good bug hatches and see how far they get you.

You say "It has been proven time and again that the spinner, over the years, is the most fish producing artificial lure of all time."

Who has proven that?    I'd vote Jigs to be the most fish producing lure of all time, and if anyone would think for just a second about that, I can't see how they could even begin to disagree.

When the bugs are present and active and the trout are feeding on them they sometimes ignore anything else,after a rain and higher,off color water that same stretch will produce many hits with spinners or bait.Different conditions dictate what could be best to use,there is no one answer to the question,it could change daily,that's what makes it fun.

egg sac
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 517
    RE: Lets Talk Fishing Already!! 2007/04/12 11:47:04 (permalink)
    I am surprised nobody mentioned the hildinbrant spinners good lures. I have to agree with Stillhead that jigs are an awsome lure as well and lets not forget about the rapala as a must have.

SO MANY FISH SO LITTLE TIME.
    WHY ARE ALL THE PLACES I HAVE YET 2 FISH SO FAR AWAY?
    steelydaze
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 376
    RE: Lets Talk Fishing Already!! 2007/04/12 12:15:06 (permalink)
    Joe's Flies
    Jim_R
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 112
    RE: Lets Talk Fishing Already!! 2007/04/12 12:35:08 (permalink)
    I've caught trout on 5 of 6 spinners in that article (excepting the Kokanee Killer).  Also on the CP Swing/Swiss Swing (same design, different mfg).  Black, white and chartreuse will cover any light/water condition.  Any other colors, and I have plenty myself, work for fish that have 'seen it all'.

That said, I'd agree with Stillhead on the jigs, that's why the military puts them in survival kits.

Jim_R

"There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind."

"The angling fever is a very real disease and can only be cured by the application of cold water and fresh, untainted air."
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4334
    RE: Lets Talk Fishing Already!! 2007/04/12 13:07:27 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: SmallieKiller

Panther Martin's are the Money Lure in my book.  Black w/ gold blade.

Agreed, exept silver blade w/ yellow and red body.

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
    Storm Warning 2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 583
    RE: Lets Talk Fishing Already!! 2007/04/12 13:12:36 (permalink)
    I can't believe I haven't seen a Vibric Rooster Tail (Panther Martin convex blade) on a fixed wire.  Those things are DEADLY. 

ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: Lets Talk Fishing Already!! 2007/04/12 13:25:31 (permalink)
    Forgive me, I NEVER even thought about jigs!!!  And I use them all the time.  I don't know what I was thinking.  I looked up Best Ever lures...heres a link.  Pretty cool check it out:

http://www.fieldandstream.com/fieldstream/photogallery/article/0,13355,1179845,00.html

rottweiller
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 13
    RE: Lets Talk Fishing Already!! 2007/04/12 14:05:44 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Stillhead

Black or white rooster tails are all you need.  If a trout will hit one spinner, it would have hit any of them.  Spinner biters are generally aggressive (and stupid)  trout that haven't been caught too many time before or lately.  I'd hardly call them a "must have" for trout fisherman.  Maybe a must have because they are fun to fish with, but not because of their effectiveness.

I'm going to call BS hear.  I can tell you're not a big spinner fan and that's ok but, I am a big spinner fan especially the #1 and #0 bluefox in silver and Chartreuse with silver blade and I will tell you that you will see a difference.  Last year I was surrounded by guys the first day and I had two trout in the bucket and several others on and the guys around me started using roostertails the same color and size.  I had my limit and was heading home at 8:22 while I saw 1 guy caught one on a chartreuse roostertail and 1 guy had one on with a white one.  That Bluefox destroyed the roostertails that day and it was one of me and the last 10 minutes I was there I know there were 7 or 8 guys within 20 yds. of me using roostertails.  So I'd have to say a spinner isn't a spinner.
    Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    RE: Lets Talk Fishing Already!! 2007/04/12 14:55:10 (permalink)
    Well, I wasn't there, so I guess I can't really disagree.   But my best guess would be that it was the guys using the spinners that was the problem, and not the lure.   If you are fishing on the opening day of trout season, in stocked trout waters, and can't catch more than a few fish on a roostertail, then you're doing something wrong.  You are correct that I'm not a big spinner fan, so it may be true that the blue fox spinners work better. I never took the time to find out, and don't plan to in the future.  In the time it takes to figure out which spinner they want better, I will have already hooked all the fish in that hole on any jig I tie on, lol. Just messin' with ya'.
    Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    RE: Lets Talk Fishing Already!! 2007/04/12 15:05:54 (permalink)
    I like number one on the field and stream list.  Strange because I don't fish with them that often, but I don't know that I've ever tied one on and didn't catch something.  Not sure if I ever caught a trout on a twister tail grub either. I guess I'll have to start fishing with that on saturday just so I can say I caught trout on them.
    gut
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 28
    RE: Lets Talk Fishing Already!! 2007/04/12 15:41:52 (permalink)
    From pellet heads to steelhead the white roostertail is my "go to" if spinner fishing. PRESENTATION is key! (in my humble opinion)

GOD bless America!
    ronnie84
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 580
    RE: Lets Talk Fishing Already!! 2007/04/12 17:53:32 (permalink)
    I've actually never had luck with rooster tails for some reason. The Blue Fox Vibrax spinners? Now that's another story. I've caught fish very consistently on those time after time. Probably my personal favorite in the inline spinner category.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Lets Talk Fishing Already!! 2007/04/12 18:01:06 (permalink)
    Have any of you ever tried swedish pimples? The very small ones when retrieved properly swim like a minnow. Have even caught steel on them. But I'm a roostertail fan all the way. Love flicking those little spinners into places where the worm dunkers can't even reach..

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

rottweiller
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 13
    RE: Lets Talk Fishing Already!! 2007/04/13 08:20:06 (permalink)
    I'm with ya ronnie.
    Wally Cat
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1073
    RE: Lets Talk Fishing Already!! 2007/04/13 08:56:05 (permalink)
    Hildibrant Flicker.....especially in low clear water.

Enjoy Life, Be Happy, Go Fish - Often!

"God has blessed America - may He continue to do so, even though we are not worthy of it".
    Author..... Wally Cat
    Jump to: