AnsweredHot!Weather thread

Page: << < ..8687888990.. > >> Showing page 90 of 199
Author
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
  • Reward points: 0
Re:Weather thread 2015/03/12 12:43:26 (permalink)
Clint it is very important to keep the motor cranking while you loosen and re-tighten the fittings and keep cranking after all injector lines are bled. The inline priming pump is a hand pump and not the fuel pump.

If you stop cranking before connections are bled and re- tightened the slightest bit of air can re-enter and your back to square one.

I certainly do not want to insult any ones intelligence; just trying to be sure "no stone has gone un-turned".

Hoping to hear ya got her running.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/03/12 12:53:02 (permalink)
Clint...... make sure your fuel filter(s) are full. Even if you filled it before, you can take fuel from the filter and they may not refill.....

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
Re:Weather thread 2015/03/12 18:42:22 (permalink)
Windy as all heck last night and most all day.
Dried some of the swamps up at work but its still black soup.
Think, hope and hope some more that I have diagnosed my leak.
We had lots of rain tues night , I still had some snow and ice build up off the eves.
Looked up in there today and it seems the water backed up in one ( hope ) spot just before/at eve and ran back toward house on sheetrock till it pooled . . If that's the case , I'd feel much better because that area ( man cave ) needs to be gutted and re done anyway. I just don't want to put all brand new stuff then discover an issue.
Now snow is all gone so spring rains will tell.

Gets those tractors running guys !!!
Good luck.
at least here, spring is springing

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
Re:Weather thread 2015/03/12 19:00:48 (permalink)
Thanks BTDT, I did not do that. I was the only one cranking. There is a hand primer that I used and could hear it pushing fuel up to injectors and back in the tank. I also used it to push fuel up to the cracked injectors and it only spurted out of 2. I told my dad to give me the weekend on it before we took it the dealer, but I guess he did not want me messing around with it any more and I got home tonight and it was gone. My dad does not like to see me working on things (especially after my neck surgery) when it causes me to miss things I like to do. I always tell him I enjoy working on stuff  (and I do), but he would rather see me go fishing or to the State HS boys basketball finals this weekend then working on that thing. It also has a small leak in the radiator and we will fix that to as I think it has to come off.   I will keep all posted on the outcome.  

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/03/12 19:14:40 (permalink)
Sounds like a solid father !! I like working on things myself . It's great to learn how things work . Also understand frustrations all to well ..
You'll be driving that tractor soon Clint and there will be plenty to do I'm sure :)

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/03/12 19:52:59 (permalink)
That's why it is said "Father Knows Best"....  good deal Clint I'll definitely be interested in hearing the cause of the problem.  Sorry I didn't have helpful information but, in researching your situation I learned quite a bit myself.  "Never too old to learn" , as they say.

Enjoy those basketball finals.

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/03/12 20:02:04 (permalink)
That's why the folks here are great, always willing to help. I appreciate you  taking the time to give me some info. Never turned a wrench on a diesel before this thing. I know how they work, but lack the experience to trouble shoot. I do feel confident I could of fixed this issue with enough time and tinkering, but I would of hated to pull that pump and put it back on and have the same issues. Sometimes father does know best.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

dimebrite2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1625
Re:Weather thread 2015/03/13 05:17:36 (permalink)
Clint sounds like dad does know best ;). My dozer has runout of fuel and my Kubota fuel filter froze up this past winter. Big time learning curves for me to get those going. Btdt is right about the cranking. You can't stop. But you've learned enough from this venture I'm sure and it sounds like your tractor is in good hands now. Tuna, hope its smooth sailing for you from here on with the roof. I had my struggles with that early last winter. Keep on keeping on folks!!!

My most recent struggles have been vehicular. Between mine and wife's vehicles we've spent 1100 in one week on much needed maintenance. Just found out my gas tank is leaking now. Badly too. I'm picking up a tank and fuel pump today and doing a drop and swap. Never done it before but I refuse to give more money to the mechanic at this point. Also trekked through 3-4 foot of snow to cut up some top limbs of a tree that fell early this fall. I refuse to support corporate america at this point of winter. Still have yet to burn fuel oil.

Clint your spot on about folks here... Good people for sure!!!
post edited by dimebrite2 - 2015/03/13 05:18:57
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/03/13 06:42:01 (permalink)
Andy remember I have a garage with a heater and lots of tools if you need them. Biggest issue with your drop and swap will be getting those quick disconnect fuel fittings off. They tend to rust up unless they revamped their design.

dimebrite2
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/03/13 07:26:44 (permalink)
Thanks clint! Cleared out the pole barn last night and got her in to take a peak. All I could see were the fill lines from fill port. Couldn't see pump or anything.

Question: can I drop tank first and then disconnect lines? Probably a dumb question but can't see anything to disconnect other than the fill and over flo W line. Those are simple aviator clamps. I was told the tank clamps are a bear and more worth cutting off and using new
fichy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1896
Re:Weather thread 2015/03/13 07:48:16 (permalink)
The lines are quick disconnects and require a special tool, either a plastic ring that fits around the fuel line or a special pair of pliers. You lower down the tank on a jack to get at the connections.  If you haven't done one, you might want a little help. Having a transmission jack helps, if not attach a  board to a flloor jack , so it's stable.   I've done a bunch and they generally are problematical. Careful with the vapor recovery system and elec. connections. I'd blow everything off with compressed air and put some wd or pb blaster on connections before trying disassembly. A second set of hands is a real help, if not a must. I'd be thinking about trading  Clint a good turn, and taking him up on his offer.  Good luck.
dimebrite2
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/03/13 08:34:59 (permalink)
Thanks fichy. I have 2 truck jacks in which I was going to use one to lower it down. I do have a set of helping hands but would be willing to trade services back at clint if he wants to help. Clint thanks for the offer and send me a message if you're available
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/03/13 10:27:52 (permalink)
Do. You have the new tank? It will be clearer once you have that. There is a special tool to disconnect the pressure lines. You need to drop the tank a little and ease it down to

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/03/13 10:32:09 (permalink)
Disconnect the pressure and return lines. You will also have to disconnect the harness from the fuel pump which sits in the tank. The filler clamps can be a bear so just get new. Some people cut a hole in their bed to access it from the top and glue. It back in place especially when just doing the pump.

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/03/13 10:39:52 (permalink)
On my phone do I missed a few posts, I am available Sunday for the most part. Let me know when you are doing it. I also have the disconnect tools if you want to borrow

dimebrite2
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/03/13 12:09:46 (permalink)
Clint I'm gonna start late this afternoon. It would be great if I could borrow the tool for quick connects. I hope to be done tonight or early a.m. if I'm not done by Sunday for any reason I would thoroughly appreciate your help
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/03/13 19:08:51 (permalink)
Good luck on all the projects fellas.
Weather looks lame, I'm heading for Lakers , what might be the last push on ice.. Another week or 2 is possible but I will have to see if tomorrow is a savior of my season..

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/03/13 19:48:31 (permalink)
Dime I just got home from work,  I would guess you are already deep into it. The tool is cheap from advance, but your welcome to it if you need it tomorrow. Let me know.

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/03/14 10:53:14 (permalink)
Maybe I should start a repair and project thread..............
The dealer got back to me and said that the head gasket is bad, maybe from the use of the ether, maybe not. Said the pump seemed to be fine. It was not running right for a while and probably did freeze up. The use of ether, could have caused a backfire blowing out the rest of the gasket. That's why dad took it to him, saved aggravation. We are having him fix a few other odds and ends too, bad fuel shut off and the radiator had a small leak that will now be fixed. Either going to get the radiator fixed or order a new one.
Dome hope you are almost done with yours.
Weather is 39 and lite sprinkles. Going to watch the nephew play soccer and then off to the state quarter finals for boys and girls ball at Colgate with him.

dimebrite2
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/03/14 13:20:03 (permalink)
Clint thanks bud, repair thread could be a good one. Tank pulled by 1 a.m. after getting started last night... but used one I pulled from junk yard was not right. Bought new one and installing soon!!!
dimebrite2
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/03/14 13:21:11 (permalink)
Sorry to hear about head gasket :(
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/03/14 18:34:13 (permalink)
Actually will probably be cheaper than the pump.

fichy
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/03/15 08:05:00 (permalink)
We were going to slog up a mt. on Lake George yesterday, but the fog was dropping and it was kind of dismal. I hate going up mountains to look at the inside of clouds. I remembered HT had said he was fishing so  I called and he was. Walked out on the ice for a visit and watched him get some lakers to chase, but not take (insert my swearing) on the Vexilar.
Always good to see a friend and he fired me up for spring on the Hudson. I'm still convinced he's due for another 40 lb'er . Blow the slot limit right out of the water, HT.  Hope he connected after I left. I'm gonna bet the upper river was pretty crowded.  Much as I like to go, no for me, for now.
Some of the upper Hudson has now busted free below some shoals and if I'm lucky I'll get a shot at some angry, hungry pike that show up about now for the pre-spawn. Time to break out the big bunny flies. 
Good luck to any who are going fishin' anywhere.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/03/15 08:43:10 (permalink)
It was great to see you brother !! Dummy me, I shoulda drilled another hole and handed you a rod.. Bet you could have caught one..
Myself, just couldn't get them to bite.. The few that did were short strikes and were only 2 second tugs..
Conditions yesterday were near perfect , for ice fishing.. That fog hung in most of the day so I'm sure the top of Sleeping Beauty was , well , pretty sleepy ..
Ice was 22" thick with little snow or water.. Cars & trucks were driving basically anywhere around the lake they wanted.. Many were pulling their permanent shanties off for todays deadline.. Had thoughts of going back today and taking my Rav-4 out there just to get to some new spots easier but alas, after another skunk, I may just sit under the cover of the Daisy Mae and pretend I'm on the water..
Id suspect there will be ice fishing on Lake George right into April.. With the dismal season I've had I'm just not sure if I'm up for it anymore..

Hope you got your gas tank troubles resolved Db..
It's a little grey outside here but besides Mud City, not to bad temp wise..
Again, Great to see ya Charlie and have a blast in the Great Grand Canyon !! Has to be one of my top 3 most beautiful places in the United States, the other 2 are very close by that region

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/03/15 09:02:19 (permalink)
snowing at a fair clip right now probably got an inch or so. Tops of the trees are swaying pretty good so I am not going to fight the snow and wind for a few dinky perch. Funny what a few nice days will do to you, its 33 degrees and I don't want to go.

dimebrite2
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/03/15 09:34:34 (permalink)
Truck started up on the first crank. Gonna head out soon to permanently mount the tank. I was happy enough last night when she started up with the tank on the ground still. I am unhappy about my firewood sitting out in the wet snow as I didn't have enough time to process enough for the next few weeks. Oh well... Tuna brownies will be sooner than later on the lake ;)

Charlie, I've wanted to try ice out pike The past two years but record breaking ice two years in a row in the lake gave deterred me. Hope you get some action bud!
pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
Re:Weather thread 2015/03/15 11:57:31 (permalink)
Was going to try some local C&R fly fishing but the snow melt and rain have the stream high and muddy.So my best friend and I will take a walk and after that I'll run the Sienna thru a car wash to get the salt off it.Looks like my first fish outing will be in Ohio come April,hope those streams settle down by then.
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/03/15 15:32:55 (permalink)
ughh another leak in the roof, damp, but not wet, who knows. This one was on the back. went up and cleared the last of the ice where the shed roof meets the main. it was a few inches thick where they meet and about four foot long. it's done now. have to decide weather to  file a claim or not. maybe could recoup some of the cost of the new roof. Got about two inches of snow here and the wind was howling.

fichy
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/03/15 16:26:14 (permalink)
I was wondering whether a claim might work, Clint. Worth a try.  I laughed out loud when you said what a few warm days will do. I feel exactly  the same way. The snowshoes are put up for the season and it'll be hard to get up any ambition to go out unless it's above freezing.  We had enough. Soon it'll be one of those ridiculously gorgeous July evenings with the smell of barbeque and fresh cut grass and the lightning bugs just starting to wink in the edges of the fields.... Til then, let's get some good fish and put this f'in winter behind us.
Lucky13
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1949
Re:Weather thread 2015/03/16 07:43:51 (permalink)
Fish are running in the smaller tribs out west where the ice has diminished.  Won't be long now and the Hendricksons will be flying and it'll be another 6 month wait for chrome trout.  Get em while U can!
Page: << < ..8687888990.. > >> Showing page 90 of 199
Jump to: