AnsweredHot!Weather thread

Page: << < ..136137138139140.. > >> Showing page 138 of 199
Author
pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
  • Reward points: 0
Re:Weather thread 2016/08/25 10:34:10 (permalink)
I'll be there Sept 25th thru Oct. 7 Rich,hope you get into them good this weekend !
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
Re:Weather thread 2016/08/25 14:08:58 (permalink)
Gottcha Jack . I'm pretty sure I can do the 25 & 26 th and or the 30th - 3rd

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
Re:Weather thread 2016/09/09 19:58:28 (permalink)
We got some big t storms two nights ago and yesterday.  I would guess 1.5-2 inches of rain. It was nice because we have not got any since the last two plus weeks ago.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2016/09/11 07:43:00 (permalink)
Got about half inch last night and the humidity has broken. As Jack said temps are going to start to cool down. I am getting caught up maybe a scouting trip next weekend...........

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3067
Re:Weather thread 2016/09/11 09:18:39 (permalink)
Everything here is half dead- we need rain.
The bits we have received this hot humid Summer have barely been enough to hang on.
Ground has been dead dry with cracks under the grass for far too long.
Rains all around us but not here.
Streams about dry all over- and its been this way for a long time.

post edited by r3g3 - 2016/09/11 09:19:47
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2016/09/11 09:48:28 (permalink)
It rained pretty intense in Mexico last night . Bilge pump kicked on a few times. Nice and sunny now but windy as all heck, lake is really rolling . About 20 cars in dsr and guys lined up in town with a few here at ball park. Water is looking really good , I'd have to guess there are some fish around .
We finally broke the curse and put our first mature King on the boat yesterday . 25 # pretty silver female , eggs were loose . We lost another fish as well.
Both fish hit a big J plug . Shopping for more today and maybe they will have some ice gear out too :)
Tomorrow and tues look like good lake days but weds looks like a bust so probaly gonna pull the boat tues eve and get outta town for the season .

Ps.
Some guy all decked out to the hilt and a fly rod with a nice cover on the reel just walked down. Once he got all rigged I noticed he is using Mono and marbles ..Nit wits !!
post edited by hot tuna - 2016/09/11 09:51:31

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2016/09/11 10:05:28 (permalink)
Must be getting lots of bites because he is casting a 2 and the bites are coming at 12:00. He needs to do a better job on the hook set :(

pafisher
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2016/09/11 10:19:50 (permalink)
hot tuna
Must be getting lots of bites because he is casting a 2 and the bites are coming at 12:00. He needs to do a better job on the hook set :(

The classic "stealth lifter",could you ask him if he knows the definition of "fishing"?
bigbear2012
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 725
Re:Weather thread 2016/09/14 13:42:50 (permalink)
Did his car have an Ohio plate?

wishin i was fishin
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2016/09/14 15:06:01 (permalink)
Hot and humid back here. Did a scrub / wash scrub on the boat today . More needs to be done but far better then what it comes outta the mighty Hudson . .
Blow off day for my crew still out there . No fish marked or seen right up to and into lighthouse of SR last night by them .

No it was not Ohio , but not NY either , not that it matters . I watched all kinds on Sunday and Monday eve.
Question :
If salmon decrease , will there be an increasing pressure on the trout fishery ?
The door has been opened on the Natural Reproduction of salmon to contribute to a stocking decrease . For the first time in my history of almost 40 years out there .

fichy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1896
Re:Weather thread 2016/09/14 16:46:52 (permalink)
hot tuna
Hot and humid back here. Did a scrub / wash scrub on the boat today . More needs to be done but far better then what it comes outta the mighty Hudson . .
Blow off day for my crew still out there . No fish marked or seen right up to and into lighthouse of SR last night by them .

No it was not Ohio , but not NY either , not that it matters . I watched all kinds on Sunday and Monday eve.
Question :
If salmon decrease , will there be an increasing pressure on the trout fishery ?
The door has been opened on the Natural Reproduction of salmon to contribute to a stocking decrease . For the first time in my history of almost 40 years out there .

I'd say yes to a temporary increase on trout  lifting. Erie  and Michigan are going downhill, and the  many  guys that are coming up from down south will delay their trips into Nov. if Salmon aren't on the menu. Got to get that hero shot somewhere.  I'd venture dead of winter will still find  the LFZ packed , but some water available if you  take a good walk, at least on weekdays.  Before I started  bothering with this forum, I was pretty happy to go and maybe average one fish a day in winter. About 1 for every 6 hrs. fished. I was  enjoying the river immensely. I think I need to go back to that way of thinking.  C'est le vie if it crashes.
bigbear2012
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 725
Re:Weather thread 2016/09/14 17:51:56 (permalink)
Yep, Erie get hammered, and now that the numbers are down there....here they come!!!

wishin i was fishin
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2016/09/14 19:25:49 (permalink)
Interesting Fichy . Has the forum discouraged or helped your experience ?

fichy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1896
Re:Weather thread 2016/09/14 19:59:32 (permalink)
What are you a survey?  
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2016/09/14 20:20:12 (permalink)
Lol,
More of a troll..

Lucky13
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1949
Re:Weather thread 2016/09/17 19:36:30 (permalink)
The two harsh winters  suppressed alewife production.  Planting all the same number of predators could result in further damage to the bait, and if the bait goes, it all goes.

At a 20% cut in King stocking, you're still looking at a great chance at a 30+ lber!  Where else can you find that so close to HDD's haunt in the peeyay domes! 

Oops, wrong site!  Troll on! 
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re:Weather thread 2016/09/17 20:03:54 (permalink)
Getting whacked pretty good in my little piece of Penn's woods with a tornado warning issued for the Slippery Rock, Harrisville and Franklin areas.  High humidity and warm temperatures today lending to numerous heavy downpours lasting several minutes.   Weather dude says to expect the same thru 2:00 AM.

Soybeans are beginning to yellow, corn browning out, the parameters of field are framed in "lovely" Golden Rod and, the Crickets have begun chirping their song during day.   Ahh the signs of fall are in the air........  oh yeah, Christmas decorations are starting to appear along with the Halloween mask.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2016/09/17 22:08:51 (permalink)
Lucky13
The two harsh winters  suppressed alewife production.  Planting all the same number of predators could result in further damage to the bait, and if the bait goes, it all goes. At a 20% cut in King stocking, you're still looking at a great chance at a 30+ lber!  Where else can you find that so close to HDD's haunt in the peeyay domes!  Oops, wrong site!  Troll on! 

If there are already reduced returns , and what I can say as reduced catch rates on the lake reported by many . Where are all these predator fish ?
Yes there may be a hole in the forage , but there is also a hole in the chinook if I'm understanding the results of fishers . Natural reproduction - chinook eating all the bait offsetting .. Yea , ok . Good sales pitch

The underwater footage out to 110 fow is incredibly barren aside from zebra mats , goby and LT
post edited by hot tuna - 2016/09/17 22:17:09

Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2016/09/18 15:02:12 (permalink)
hot tuna

Question :

The stocking cut is not being driven by natural reproduction of Kings, although the biologists have no control over that, but by the low anticipated bait numbers for 2017 and onward based on poor showings of YOY Alewife the last two springs.  Steelhead would also have been cut, but the returns have been poor enough the last two years that they pulled that off the table.  Lakers will also be reduced 20%, but I think they would have a hard time finding those fish as there are problems in the Federal Hatchery system again.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2016/09/18 16:16:30 (permalink)
Natural reproduction absolutely is a factor and I think it is being used as a tool for the future ..

The current issue appears related to poor alewife reproduction in 2013 and 2014, combined with high predator demand for alewife.
Ontario and New York State’s combined Chinook salmon stocking target is 2.3 million fish, however, a recent study has shown that we are effectively stocking more than 3 million Chinook salmon due the great success of the net pen program. Chinooks held in net pens by sportsmen’s groups for three to four weeks prior to release have been shown to survive twice as well as traditional “direct” stocked fish. When we factor in the additional wild fish, the equivalent of 6 million Chinook salmon are added to the lake annually.

DEC is considering a 20% reduction in Chinook salmon stocking in 2017 (reduce from 1.76 million to 1.41 million fish), which amounts to a 10% overall reduction when wild Chinook salmon are included. This action would reduce alewife consumption attributable to Chinook salmon by 7.5 million pounds over the period from 2018-2020. Future increases in Chinook salmon would be considered when alewife population characteristics indicate good overall “health.”

r3g3
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2016/09/18 17:35:01 (permalink)
Don't think that will change what we have seen over the past couple of years one noticeable bit---the new norm.
Not just Kings either---
Hope to still be around to fish when the bounce happens.
Would love to see another banner season.
If not- oh well- at least was there when it did happen a few times.
Recall about 4 years ago just sitting on the bank mid river with feet in the water and rod leaning on a tree watching pods of 30 to 40 fish come by one after another- what a hoot.
Would fish a while then just sit and watch the show-don't know which was better than the other.
Like Deer hunting- sometimes just seeing them is enough- but ya gotta have a gun or rod and be in the game.

Despite predictions  no measurable rain here in weeks- everything is dying.
Mowed for the first time in 3 weeks yesterday- not to cut anything but to pickup all  the dead leaves in the bagger.
post edited by r3g3 - 2016/09/18 17:43:45
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2016/09/18 19:36:51 (permalink)
Got an inch last night and a god little downpour this evening. I am going to guest this year will be like two years ago. No big runs, a few small ones here and there and a below average number of fish.

Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2016/09/18 21:02:46 (permalink)
hot tuna
Natural reproduction absolutely is a factor and I think it is being used as a tool for the future ..

The current issue appears related to poor alewife reproduction in 2013 and 2014, combined with high predator demand for alewife.
Ontario and New York State’s combined Chinook salmon stocking target is 2.3 million fish, however, a recent study has shown that we are effectively stocking more than 3 million Chinook salmon due the great success of the net pen program. Chinooks held in net pens by sportsmen’s groups for three to four weeks prior to release have been shown to survive twice as well as traditional “direct” stocked fish. When we factor in the additional wild fish, the equivalent of 6 million Chinook salmon are added to the lake annually.

DEC is considering a 20% reduction in Chinook salmon stocking in 2017 (reduce from 1.76 million to 1.41 million fish), which amounts to a 10% overall reduction when wild Chinook salmon are included. This action would reduce alewife consumption attributable to Chinook salmon by 7.5 million pounds over the period from 2018-2020. Future increases in Chinook salmon would be considered when alewife population characteristics indicate good overall “health.”

Correct, sir!

But if there is nothing out there to eat except each other (stocked salmonids) because they ate all the remaining alewives, how many feesh U gonna C den, Senor?
post edited by Lucky13 - 2016/09/18 21:06:31
pafisher
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2016/09/19 09:52:40 (permalink)
FINALLY we got a little rain at my local last night but the major rain was North about 60 miles and right now it's pouring about 20 miles South of me while I'm getting nothing!
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2016/09/19 17:27:19 (permalink)
Well I have only caught 1 , yes 1 mature king all summer on the Great Lake so I can't say it could be worse .
My point is that they are stating there is a 1 to 1 ratio of natural vs stock bringing the estimate of 6 million kings swimming the Great Lake and the forage can't support that amount in its current state , again citing the 2 harsh winters .
The forage I can buy , the natural reproduction numbers I find appalling due to the returns and catch rates from people I see and talk to on the dock at a regular basis .
The survey is a joke , first hand . We encountered a survey 1 time in 28 days on the lake .

Again , if there are an estimated 6 million chinook , where the heck are they ?
My fear is the push to play the NR card and reduce stocking = reduce costs .
When there was a stocking of approx 5 million salmon , they were EVERYWHERE !!
Where are they now ?
Typically I spend $3-400 every weekend as a privateer and more $ on extended trips to the local economy with an average of about $5,000 per season , that's just 1 boat and 1 income . If the trend to the fishery decreases it will get very depressed . Most folks think that salmon season in the river supports the area , huge wrong !! There are tons of boats that buy more tackle , lodging and fuel then the river ever could .

I sure hope they know what they are doing ..

r3g3
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2016/09/19 17:55:08 (permalink)
Know where they are ??--
Belly up in the lake.
Not enough bait.
That is now and has been the issue- as we all know- for a few seasons and it will take a few more to hopefully turn around.
IF --we don't damage bait stocks any further.
The lake can only sustain the gross of all returning (wherever they return to US and Canada) and Lake captured Kings.
Therefore I think its VERY important to know how many do so- throughout the Lake system.
Am quite sure the State has a very good handle on that gross number.
Might think that without that number they wouldn't have a clue as to how to address the issue.
post edited by r3g3 - 2016/09/19 18:01:20
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2016/09/19 18:04:13 (permalink)
Ah , I'm not buying the belly up on the bottom theory L thought last season either .
I think there are far less surviving the stocking and NR then proposed .
If they are there , lake guys would be having a field day , especially if they are going hungry .
You know how many little & big fishes eat those par - fingerling salmon in the tribs , it's amazing . Remember the commorant issue ?
That's why they are stating that pen rearing is working , because they have NO idea
post edited by hot tuna - 2016/09/19 18:07:41

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2016/09/19 19:29:16 (permalink)
As to the weather , still humid and muggy bringing out my worst of feelings so I apologize in advance . No fishing , no hunting and no ice ..
Also I don't speak French ( and have to be in Paris for work for a week in oct ) , don't speak Spanish or jibberish Zzz crap so please explain in the English language .
Watching Eric Clapton now and he is quite alright in my book :)

Clint , it seems the hot wire is working to keep the rascals at bay . For trapping , I would suggest making a weasel trap ( YouTube it ) , forget the leg , neck or have a heart traps , you'll catch to many harmless critters .
Peace & Tuna

r3g3
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2016/09/19 19:56:29 (permalink)
That's one heckuva issue  Rich.
Many here in my little part of Earth have said the same thing for many years about the Atlantic stocking in the Ct river and its worse than lousy return rate.
In fact an almost invisible return rate.
Decades and no fishing allowed due to what many call a completely failed effort.
They stock thousands upon thousands of 5 or 6 inch Atlantics in the Spring.
This is just in time for the stripers to be dropping outa the rivers  to the reefs- not to mention  Blues starting to show bout the same time.
The added issue here the survivors then go North to cold waters where the fishing fleets from around the world seek Atlantics.
Too many predators is a HUGE issue.

Gotta wonder what would happen if they pen raised them till the fish predator issue subsided a bit.

post edited by r3g3 - 2016/09/19 20:00:06
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2016/09/19 20:00:34 (permalink)
HT I have made 3 of those weasel boxes and baited with chicken thighs with no results except for a rat.  The leg traps are for a hole set that trev suggested.  I have no heart so that trap is just something else, as anything I catch in it is a pest (except the neighbors cat) and will be used as coy dog bait.  Chicken thighs are cheap so I will keep at it. Will have to catch a shark and use that as bait.

post edited by Clint S - 2016/09/19 20:04:59

Page: << < ..136137138139140.. > >> Showing page 138 of 199
Jump to: