Author
ShutUpNFish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3834
  • Reward points: 0
2007/04/06 09:27:48 (permalink)

Looking for some Downrigger advice

Experienced downrigger fishermen:

I recently bought and mounted a new Cannon downrigger on my boat.  The Cannon is the Electric Mini-Mag with what I believe to be a 35" aluminum, 1" dia. boom.  After I mounted the swivel mount and wired up the rigger, I gave it a try in my driveway with a 10 lb. rigger weight.  The 10 lb. weight really seemed to put a lot of torque on to the downrigger and all.  It did not seem normal, but I could be wrong.  Is this just a natural occurance because it was not in the water and 100% dead weight on land, or is this way to much weight to be using for Lake Erie walleye/steelhead fishing???  What rigger weight is recommended?

Lastly, any additional recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated since I'm a first timer with the whole downrigger fishing experience.

Thanks,

SUNF

18 Replies Related Threads

Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: Looking for some Down rigger advice 2007/04/06 09:37:39 (permalink)
    You will have that without the buoyancy of water I used to run riggers a lot till my buddy sold his boat and we would never leave the weight on the booms for that reason  I believe we used 10 lb weights if I remember right..  

worm_waster
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 528
    RE: Looking for some Down rigger advice 2007/04/06 10:21:07 (permalink)
    There is a lot of torque on the rigger, but that is typical for a 10 lb ball.

Most Cannons are rated to about 15lbs.  I run 10 lb. pancakes on my Penn manuals and would never use anything lighter.w_w.

If it has fins and gills, I'm there.

ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: Looking for some Down rigger advice 2007/04/06 10:59:12 (permalink)
    What are 10 lb. pancakes?  Do you have a photo or link that I could see one WW?  Thanks.

I do have a 10 lb. ball with a metal fin on the back of it that was given to me.....would you recommend something sleaker that rides in the water more aerodynamically?
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2007/04/06 11:01:01

woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8508
    RE: Looking for some Down rigger advice 2007/04/06 11:22:28 (permalink)
    I use fat fish weights, 10lb, for erie eyes. Then I use Directional weights fishing for salmon or lakers,12lb. The pancakes weights come in two sizes 10-13. They have a keel to track straighter. What you have. Be sure your mount is strong enough to handle the drag of the weights.  Get stackers  John to run more than one rod per rigger. You can also slide your lures by clipping your release ring to your cable and let the lure pull the line to the bow of the rigger cable.
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: Looking for some Down rigger advice 2007/04/06 12:50:01 (permalink)
    Thanks for the help guys!

Another thing I was wondering...I have my downrigger rods set up with 30lb. super braid.  I researched the lines and most reports talked about mono line with downrigging.  Can you use the braids as well or are they not as effective?  I was going to use so many feet of mono leader to the baits I use. 

And are flashers or dodgers effective for walleyes or not recommended or needed?

Thanks!

Justonemore
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Looking for some Down rigger advice 2007/04/06 16:51:36 (permalink)
    I've used braided and lead core on riggers both with good success the braided does fray a little at the release but is quite stong enough to handle some wear, the lead core helps to reduce line bow but the life of lead core has a lot to be desired I lost some nice fish last year before I realized the line was rotten. Mono leaders used on both setups.
    Special K
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 15
    RE: Looking for some Down rigger advice 2007/04/06 17:02:05 (permalink)
    I'm sure you can use braided, but would not recommend it. Mono gives you that stretch to absorb a high impact strike. Depending on what type of dow**** releases you use the braid may not work in the ones with the rubber pads well. I personally like the Black's release and Walker releases. If your only going to fish for walleye I would use a mono of 14 Ib test or so. I've had real good luck with Andes or Silver Thread. If your going for Steelies use 17- 20 Ib test. Just remember to have the drag on your reels set as light as you can while they're set. You can order either one out of Bass Pro and they aren't expensive. Good luck!!!
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    RE: Looking for some Down rigger advice 2007/04/06 22:14:35 (permalink)
    I use 20 lb for everything. Stren xt mono. Use shock leader when using flies, flasher set up.
    LDD
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3138
    RE: Looking for some Down rigger advice 2007/04/07 09:40:12 (permalink)
    I would probably stay away from the braided lines for rigger fishing, expecially for walley.  Because of the zero stretch factor it has a tendency to rip a big hole in a walleye mouth, especially with the added stress of the moving boat.  Also,  when rigger fishing for eyes, run your bait back away from the ball a good amount and don't be afraid to pop the rigger regularly to check for draggers.  A ten pound walleye will hit a rigger bait and swim right along with the boat. 
    good luck,
    Josh
    Brad1
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 338
    RE: Looking for some Down rigger advice 2007/04/08 03:46:24 (permalink)
    shutupnfish,

When your referring to torque, do you mean the stress that seems to be experienced by the motor, or the torque on the boom, mounting base, or gunwale of the boat? I have 4 cannon downriggers on my boat. Two electric and two manual. It's been a while since I tried them in my driveway (I did to test the electrics when I first installed them), but out on the water, I don't observe anything that seems to be a concerning degree of torque being applied to either the motor or the rigger and mounting.

Did you install adequate backing plates under the gunwale for the downrigger base? Backing plates, or at minimum, a couple stacked fender washers are needed to help disperse the forces from the downrigger on the gunwale.

I use 10 lb weights on my downriggers.

I use 20 lb mono (Ande) on my downrigger rods. I use 30 lb braided on my dipsy rods.

Brad
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    RE: Looking for some Down rigger advice 2007/04/08 09:19:22 (permalink)
    If you see a school or near a school ,pop a rod to bring your lure up through the fish. Have caught many fish by doing this. They react to the lure moving up . Impart your zigzag trolling. Be careful not to tangle your lines . Do it with slow turns.
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1834
    RE: Looking for some Down rigger advice 2007/04/09 11:29:36 (permalink)
    Main problem with braided is keeping it IN the release.  The thin line tends to slip a touch and can be literally pulled out of the release if you "load" the rod too much or troll fast.  THis is probaly why most use like 12-15lb mono on riggers...I believe 30lb braid only has around 8lb diameter..

I use Tru-Track Pancake 12s on my Mag 10s they have alot less drag than the usual round cannon balls and they work...Another hint for downrigging is if you are using an offshore release off the cannon ball, put a snubber in between the release and the ball, instead of the wire, this allows you to see soft hits and junk fish that you may encounter while trolling.  At the same time a walleye or steelie still has no problem triggering the release when they strike.  Good luck

CB
    I never thought I'd say this, but I love my Sport-Craft!
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: Looking for some Down rigger advice 2007/04/09 14:06:04 (permalink)
    Thanks for all of the advice guys!

The braid I have is Andes 30# and the diameter is equivalent to 10 or 12 lb. mono.  I'll give it a try since my reels are already spooled with it.  If I run into any problems, I'll change it.

I purchased two Okuma reels with line counters and still need to match them up with rods.  Any suggestions on rod actions and lengths would be appreciated as well.  I was thinking 9'ish Med to Med/H action so I could use them for muskie trolling as well.

Thanks.

Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    RE: Looking for some Down rigger advice 2007/04/09 15:14:07 (permalink)
    8'6" diawa heartlands off this very site is what i use...Or shimano TDRs

For dipsys Diawa 9'6" Heartlands from FishUSA are a great buy...

CB
    Brad1
    Expert Angler
    RE: Looking for some Down rigger advice 2007/04/09 18:23:44 (permalink)
    I like the Shimano TDRs and Tritons. 8 ft, medium action.
    Brad1
    Expert Angler
    RE: Looking for some Down rigger advice 2007/04/09 18:30:07 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Carpet Bagger

I use Tru-Track Pancake 12s on my Mag 10s they have alot less drag than the usual round cannon balls and they work...Another hint for downrigging is if you are using an offshore release off the cannon ball, put a snubber in between the release and the ball, instead of the wire, this allows you to see soft hits and junk fish that you may encounter while trolling.  At the same time a walleye or steelie still has no problem triggering the release when they strike.  Good luck

Carpet Bagger,

How well do the pancake weights track? I've been using the rubber coated round cannon balls with a fin. They work alright, but there is some sway back. What you said about there being less drag with the pancakes makes sense. But do the pancakes tend to "steer" to one side or another? That's what I always wondered about them.

Also, interesting trick about using the snubber. I've only used snubbers behind dipsies when trolling for kings on lake ontario.

Thanks.

Brad
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    RE: Looking for some Down rigger advice 2007/04/11 12:20:03 (permalink)
    Brad as always when dealing with water there is a pull back from the rigger.  The pancakes are alot more slender so they do not drift back near as much as the typical cannon ball.  No they do not stear.  Id imagine that if the rear tail bent one way they would. however, i have not experienced this....

To be very honest i have not used my riggers seriously in about 2 years. They used to produce alot more fish, and dipsys just work so good... I occasionally do put them on for a few trips when i have more people aboard, but for the most part i think they get in the way...lol...we call them 700dollar rod holders....

As far as using braided line for walleyes.....thats why reels have drags.  Using braid for eyes has alot to do with how you set your drags not only when fighting the fish, but on the initial strike itself.  A tight drag on the initial strike could cause the fish to not hook up but that is the case for mono as well. However i have caught many walleyes with plugs just burried in their faces.. Braided line also allows you to reach greater depth on deep diving plugs and is also essential for dipsy divers.

All of my rods aside from 2 mono lines for riggers and 2 leadcore rods are spooled with 30lb power pro...I pull plugs off boards with them on a regular basis and have excellent results for walleyes with braided line directly to the fish.  On dipsys however i do use a snubber on the back side of the dipsy...

CB
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: Looking for some Down rigger advice 2007/04/11 12:54:03 (permalink)
    CB,

I did also noticed, when using dipsys last year, that if you had rods with mono, it would be near impossible to trip the dipsy free from diving because of all the stretch in the line.  With the braided, it makes it a whole lot nicer with the "No stretch" factor.  I now simply use braided to the dipsy and florocarbon from the dipsy to the lure.  Trial and error learning....I just can't wait to do some more learning on the water soon!
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2007/04/11 17:22:58

Jump to: