DEAD WATER ???

Author
elephanthead
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1057
  • Reward points: 0
2007/10/27 09:50:17 (permalink)

DEAD WATER ???

Walking by water and not paying attention has probably caused many anglers to miss out on great opportunities. While fishing yesterday I heard quite a few fisherman remark "They're fishing dead water" Thank goodness they went around the bend before we hooked up and we countinued to fish in solitude and land fish on a regular basis.  Small blessings come in subtle ways. Oh, one person by himself slid in and we put him on the fish and he had a good morning too.   Dave

11 Replies Related Threads

genieman77
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2534
    RE: DEAD WATER ??? 2007/10/27 10:59:04 (permalink)
    it's prety amazing how clean fish can "disapear" even in clear water.
    (especially on cloudy days)

I've walked by sections of  shallow water over a multi colored bottoms and swore there wasn't a fish there.
    Then walk "through" the middle of that section to see fish scatter

I'b bet a nickel many of us have been tossing our junk to a dark male in shallow water and have another fish behind that dark fish come out of "nowhere" and bite.
    It's was there all-de-time, we just never saw it

..L.T.A.
    elephanthead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: DEAD WATER ??? 2007/10/27 13:13:14 (permalink)
    Genie, the thing was, if you paid attention, you could see the fish every now and then but you had to look close. I'd much rather fish for them when they can't be seen (sight fishing is not my 1st pleasure). they were all through the area we were in and people walked by us all morning. Just our lucky day I guess.   Dave
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2534
    RE: DEAD WATER ??? 2007/10/27 13:33:02 (permalink)
    I hear you, Brother Dave.

I don't mind sight fishing though.
    I kind of like to watch a steelie chase down a swinging fly or move on an offering and bite it.
    I don't mind fishing when I can't see them either.

come to think of it, steelie fishing is like donuts to me
    It's ALL good

..L.T.A.
    youngguru
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 681
    RE: DEAD WATER ??? 2007/10/27 17:44:53 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: elephanthead

Walking by water and not paying attention has probably caused many anglers to miss out on great opportunities. While fishing yesterday I heard quite a few fisherman remark "They're fishing dead water" Thank goodness they went around the bend before we hooked up and we countinued to fish in solitude and land fish on a regular basis.  Small blessings come in subtle ways. Oh, one person by himself slid in and we put him on the fish and he had a good morning too.   Dave

woo kares

wimmp
    creel
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 384
    RE: DEAD WATER ??? 2007/10/27 20:31:38 (permalink)
    Especially Krispy Kremes

thats a good fish, they are all good, some are gooder than others
    swinger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1376
    RE: DEAD WATER ??? 2007/10/27 21:49:10 (permalink)
    If you cant see them they are not there. Keep beleiving that please.
    cp13
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 542
    RE: DEAD WATER ??? 2007/10/27 22:30:38 (permalink)
    i always cast into holes where i cant see fish, because half the time..theyre there and they scare the living sh_t outta you and you arent prepared to set the hook..
    waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1910
    RE: DEAD WATER ??? 2007/10/28 03:35:47 (permalink)
    First thing is I almost never sight fish and when I can see fish the one I catch is not the one I see.
    Fishing the Salmon River in NY, back in the vert early 80s a friend and I fished a hole that was so packed with kings that the snaggers walked by looking in and moving on saying that we were fishing to no fish. All they saw was the green of their backs and thought it was bottom. Literally hundreds of fish in the hole and they couldn't see them. It is as if they have a Romulan cloaking device (sorry old school star trek ref).
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: DEAD WATER ??? 2007/10/28 08:00:38 (permalink)
    Sight fishing only works well in very low and clear conditions where you are casting to fish in the riffles that you actually see.  In the deeper holes, the only way to find out if there are fish is to try a few casts.  What has already been said about the fish hiding or blending in well is true.  One thing that will help you to identify fish is not to look for fish, but look for horizontal light and dark lines.  These are easier to spot than a whole fish. 

Another thing to keep in mind is to remember where fish most likely will hang out.  Fish the high percentage water first.

pax vobiscum +
    fishmonger
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 435
    RE: DEAD WATER ??? 2007/10/28 19:22:06 (permalink)
    There was a posting earlier this month about a fellow walking the dry stream beds and taking notes on the make up of the runs, chutes, holes, etc. What a perfect year to do this. I learned a lesson last year on Elk, right above rte. 5. The water was perfect, but I was not having any success. Another gentleman was hooking up right in front of me. He knew where the fish were lying. I thought I was pretty good at reading water, but I didn't know too much on that particular day. This year, I took advantage of the extra low conditions to mentally map some of the places that I will expect to catch some fish when the water is up and tinted. As for sight fishing, I wanted to catch the largest fish in the run that I was working last week at Walnut. It took a while, but I finally hooked him. I prefer reading the water, and then varying my casts until I get the "perfect" one, I usually can tell if "this is the one." I lose myself in the water when I'm fishing the tribs. Early in the season, I don't really notice the hordes. I just concentrate on my little patch of Heaven in front of me.  Fishmonger
    steelheadman28
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 393
    RE: DEAD WATER ??? 2007/10/28 20:16:51 (permalink)
    Sight fishing isnt bad but my choice would be with my fishing senses... got many of them But if you are sight fishing and you see them go for your bait its awesome to see them strike it
    Jump to: