Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
fisherofmen376
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2215
  • Reward points: 0
2007/10/25 11:15:35 (permalink)

Post Gazette article

Sometimes I wonder about the articles that "outdoors" authors write.  The title is funny, because I think the "run" began awhile ago.  Either way, I'm sure this will get Steelhead fever into full bloom.  Get ready all of you who hate non-locals, because "the Yinzers are coming, the Yinzers are coming!!"  Oh, I guess I'm a Yinzer though
Pay close attention to the last paragraph of the article.  Please pick up your trash and "leave no trace" of your presence, it's the least we can do.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07298/828368-358.stm

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19

46 Replies Related Threads

KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: Post Gazette article 2007/10/25 11:45:14 (permalink)
    it is also the #4 most emailed article on the PG's website...
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: Post Gazette article 2007/10/25 13:55:56 (permalink)
    As I already stated, the rain did not trigger the steelies to run, but it triggered the fisherman to come up.  After fishing Walnut the last couple of mornings as is my usual morning ritual, I can say, the fishing has not really improved that much, but the numbers of fisherman, especially those who have no clue has definitely increased.  We have been routinely catching fish since early September and the fish have been coming up even in the low water.  All the rain did was bring out everyone including the village idiot and his half-wit brother. 

Good luck this weekend.  The water conditions should be good, but you will be fishing with hundreds of people, which will make fishing tough. 

pax vobiscum +
    elephanthead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: Post Gazette article 2007/10/25 14:20:33 (permalink)
    Bug, are me & you the only ones not fishin today ????    Dave
    MackJ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 522
    RE: Post Gazette article 2007/10/25 14:25:26 (permalink)
    I've been a reader of this forum for a couple years, and I was finally compelled to sign up today so I can respond to posts like the one above.  It absolutely floors me to read locals and regulars complain about crowds.  These are probably the same folks who are parked in the best holes before sun-up and will catch fish after fish and never seem satisfied enough to let the 12 year old who is forced to fish in a riffle have a few casts to the place where the fish are holding. 

Out-of-towners are the anglers who support the Steelhead industry the most.  The locals don't rent hotels and purchased less food at restaurants, etc.  The bulk of the money coming into the economy because of the Steelhead Industry is made off the out-of-towners. 

Whenever big crowds are expected, like this weekend, it seems to me almost a matter of common courtesy that those who spend dozens of days on the water and live less than a half-hour away, those who have no job and fish daily, those who work the night-shift and fish daily, need to stay home and give the anglers (who maybe get one or two days a year to come to Erie) a chance at a decent spot on the creek.

So how about it?  How many of the locals will stay home this weekend?  You don't want to fish with a bunch of mup-ears anyway.  We have no clue what we are doing, why put up with us?  Go shopping with your wife.  Rake the leaves.  Visit your grandmother.  I can't make it this weekend myself, but I'll check back next week to see how it all went with all the locals staying home.  Probably will still be crowded-- but a little less so than otherwise-- and I bet there will be a lot of happy grandmothers. 
    steeliefever
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 76
    RE: Post Gazette article 2007/10/25 14:43:39 (permalink)
    Mack,

I think you have posted one of the most insightful, intelligent, and right-on-the-money posts EVER on these forums - i could not agree with you more - seems the ones complaining the most are the ones who have the greatest opportunity - what a shame eh?

SI

"Policy is what the kingpins want. What the others want is juvenile delinquency."

John Updike

"If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything."

Mark Twain

fisherofmen376
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2215
    RE: Post Gazette article 2007/10/25 14:46:22 (permalink)
    Mackj,
    Most of what I posted was in jest.  I was just amused that the Post Gazette was authoritatively stating that "THE RUN HAS BEGUN" when in fact, as Bug said, fish have been in the streams for weeks.  I was also poiting out the humor in the fact that just because a newspaper article said it, thousands of people will believe it and go to Erie. 

I was serious about not littering though...

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
    Matthew 4:19
    elephanthead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: Post Gazette article 2007/10/25 14:47:10 (permalink)
    MackJ, don't know you but I know many locals and out of towners (like myself) who would gladly share or give up a spot to a kid or even an adult and help them out. Blanket statements are off base and to put the debate to rest as it comes up every year, yes out of towners help the economy everyone knows that as do locals. It's about fishing and only fishing & having fun not arguing or fighting. Hope to see you sometime on the stream maybe we can learn something from each other and maybe help a kid fish. Sound good ?    Dave
    post edited by elephanthead - 2007/10/25 14:48:12
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    RE: Post Gazette article 2007/10/25 14:49:24 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: MackJ

I've been a reader of this forum for a couple years, and I was finally compelled to sign up today so I can respond to posts like the one above.  It absolutely floors me to read locals and regulars complain about crowds.  These are probably the same folks who are parked in the best holes before sun-up and will catch fish after fish and never seem satisfied enough to let the 12 year old who is forced to fish in a riffle have a few casts to the place where the fish are holding. 

Out-of-towners are the anglers who support the Steelhead industry the most.  The locals don't rent hotels and purchased less food at restaurants, etc.  The bulk of the money coming into the economy because of the Steelhead Industry is made off the out-of-towners. 

Whenever big crowds are expected, like this weekend, it seems to me almost a matter of common courtesy that those who spend dozens of days on the water and live less than a half-hour away, those who have no job and fish daily, those who work the night-shift and fish daily, need to stay home and give the anglers (who maybe get one or two days a year to come to Erie) a chance at a decent spot on the creek.

So how about it?  How many of the locals will stay home this weekend?  You don't want to fish with a bunch of mup-ears anyway.  We have no clue what we are doing, why put up with us?  Go shopping with your wife.  Rake the leaves.  Visit your grandmother.  I can't make it this weekend myself, but I'll check back next week to see how it all went with all the locals staying home.  Probably will still be crowded-- but a little less so than otherwise-- and I bet there will be a lot of happy grandmothers. 

all right I'll bite...
    there was not one mention of where the people were coming from...
    it was just that there are a large amount of unskilled and ignorant anglers...
    read the post... think... then respond...
    don't jump into starting problems...
    maybe you should have lurked for a few more years...before becoming a troll...
    MackJ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 522
    RE: Post Gazette article 2007/10/25 15:58:06 (permalink)
    If you cannot attack the substance of the argument, then lambast the arguer.  I'm not a troll, but I play one on TV.  I am just an observer of human behavior and I already can observe who are the courteous locals and who are the ones I was describing earlier.  Which hole should we look for you to be camping in at first light?
    kyler16
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2396
    RE: Post Gazette article 2007/10/25 16:03:45 (permalink)
    wonder what new yorkers say about people from erie?

"If you kill it, eat it. If you eat it, cook it right."
    -Steve Rinella
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    RE: Post Gazette article 2007/10/25 16:16:39 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: MackJ

If you cannot attack the substance of the argument, then lambast the arguer.  I'm not a troll, but I play one on TV.  I am just an observer of human behavior and I already can observe who are the courteous locals and who are the ones I was describing earlier.  Which hole should we look for you to be camping in at first light?

you won't see me in Erie till mid-Nov...
    no one on the board has ever mentioned anything against kids...
    if you "read the posts" you would see the opposite...
    this thread was directed at a poorly written, misimformed article...
    (i hope John Hayes reads this)
    using phrases like "world-class" and "as good as Alaska and NZ"...leeds to the blind frenzy of ignorant/ uneducated people... (see the snagger thread)
    the article was nice enough to mention trash...
    but makes not mention of ethical fishing or stream manners... huge erie trib problems...

Liverache
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 611
    RE: Post Gazette article 2007/10/25 16:23:21 (permalink)
    So,Mack, if I use your reasoning, if I lived in Pitts or Cleve I should not use my season pass to the games  on weekends so the out of towners can bring their kids and enjoy an afternoon at the  ballpark and have the best parking and seats in the house.I came back to this town for the fishing and its people and I use all the nice things this town has to offer,I (we)pay local taxes and contribute daily to the economy here, and yes it is nice to live near a great resource and tourist destination.I dont use the streams myself because I hate combat fishing, that is my choice, but please dont knock the locals that do enjoy it, not all of us hate out of towners, and it is our right(if we choose) to have a "season ticket" on the big pond or its tribs, as it is yours too, come on up anytime and enjoy,and bring a kid too.  
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: Post Gazette article 2007/10/25 16:30:37 (permalink)
    Perhaps the statement about the village idiot and his half-wit brother was a bit harsh.  I apologize for that.

As for people coming to fish the streams from outside of Erie county, that is not the issue.  The point I was trying to make is that with the rain, which in some people's minds = fish running up the stream, it must be time to jump in the car and "come up" to fish.  My comments were not meant to offend or discourage anyone from fishing, but it to give a realistic picture of what you will be encountering.

I live in Erie county, I fish the tribs several times per week, usually in the mornings before work and in the afternoons after work.  I don't usually fish the tribs on the weekends, especially to avoid the crowds.  I know most of the lower portions of Walnut like the back of my hand and have given pointers, flies, bait and tons of advice to people from all over.  I have encountered many wonderful people over the years and some have become friends.  I have also run into some people that have been obnoxious, rude, ignorant, drunk, high and down right crazy over the years as well.  Who knows where they came from, I don't care. I even saw a guy this fall sitting in a chair, in the edge of the creek smoking a joint.  Things that make you go, HMMMMM.

I will close with what I have personally have seen the last two mornings on the project waters at Walnut.  I arrived yesterday morning at around 6:45 or so to find a parking lot full of cars, not literally, just a turn of phrase to let you know there were way more than what I have experienced most Wednesday mornings.  There were already close to 10 guys on one hole I usually like to fish so I moved up stream and found a very good spot where there were less people, that is until we started catching fish and drawing people to the spot like flies to a meadow muffin.  I caught fish, several of the other guys I was fishing around and got to talking with caught fish.  We got into a rhythm and had very few problems and generally had a good morning.  There were a couple of guys using some rather unorthodox methods, who were getting skunked, but they were not annoying or causing any problems directly for me, but seemed to be bothering another fellow near me.

This morning, the water was back down, fishing conditions were different from yesterday and there needed to be a change in tactics.  I started fishing a different hole and hooked up right after I got there.  As the morning went on, there were people casting up the hole past 3 and 4 people while others were trying to get a drift right in front of them.  Yet this guy who was casting up the hole had fish right in front of him most of the morning.  He could have literally stepped on them if the stepped into the water.  There was a guy with a quarter oz of lead on his line slapping it into the water with each cast and then routinely hanging up on the bottom and snagging up with me and others.  BTW - the water was only about a foot deep and there was no significant flow... i.e. no need for that much weight.  There were a couple of guys who would not stop fishing when you had a fish on and yelled the fish was coming up the hole.  There were people climbing down a hillside when all they needed to do was walk a few more yards and come down a path.  I saw guys standing in the creek where the fish usually will hold, i.e. standing in the drift... If they had bothered to look before they jumped into the water, they could have stood on the bank and had plenty of fish right in front of them.  I watched a guy casting, if you can call it that, a fly to a rock.  Not once, but over and over.  I walked past a fellow with a rod and reel that was clearly designed for heavy saltwater fishing, hmmmm I wonder what he was up to?  There was the guy with an egg sack the size of a gum ball drifting in a riffle and wondering, I am sure to himself, why the fish were swimming away from his bait and I would hook a fish every now and then on a #12 woollly worm.

The bottomline, I had fun, caught fish, met a couple of neat people and enjoyed my day.  No complaints, but and this is a HUGE but, the conditions I discribed would have frustrated the heck out a lot of people who come up expecting to have a "good" drift and "lots" of fish to themselves.  My intentions of posting the original comments and to be a bit more specific here is to paint a realistic picture of what you are likely to experience when you come to Walnut creek to fish.  There will be lots of people.  Many will have no idea of what they are doing, some either due to a lack of knowledge or clearly to be offensive will do some dumb things, often repeatedly.  The chance you will get "Your special spot" will be limited and you will need to share the water with your fellow fisherman; the good, the bad and the ugly....

Come, fish and enjoy the tribs, but please educate yourself first as to the rules and regulations, be respectful of your fellow fisherman, keep only those fish you can use and realize your experience will only be as good as you decide it will be.
    post edited by Bughawk - 2007/10/25 19:13:46

pax vobiscum +
    beerman
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1314
    RE: Post Gazette article 2007/10/25 17:54:50 (permalink)
    Very well said, Bughawk!

changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes....nothing remains quite the same

The Beerman ~ Greg
    Green Weenie
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 125
    RE: Post Gazette article 2007/10/25 18:29:05 (permalink)
    Great post bug!  I watched you and the others fish that hole form the road for about 15 minutes this morning.  You must have been the ringmaster, because there were a bunch of clowns around you. lol  

fly fish....save a worms life
    *commander*
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2647
    RE: Post Gazette article 2007/10/25 18:45:17 (permalink)
    identical article in beaver county times. concerning the "run" term being used, its being used by outdoor WRITERS. i'd find it hard to believe that any pgh outdoor writers have anything to do with the "outdoors" unless a fishing guide or hunting guide takes them out of their office.
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: Post Gazette article 2007/10/25 19:15:05 (permalink)
    Next time stop by and say Hi.  As for being the ringmaster....  I don't know about that. 

pax vobiscum +
    StCroix Boy
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 44
    RE: Post Gazette article 2007/10/25 21:02:41 (permalink)
    I have read the Post Gazett article.....I believe bug said it the best ..But here is my reply.
    With the rain brings hope of fish being spread out more and more fish to be had by all ..I am a dedicated fly fisherman I have yet to travel north because of the less than stellar reports from the reports page.. I didnt want to fish in a bathtub   next to 12 other guys ..so yes the rain will bring the yinzers north ..articles in the PG will entice newbies and novices to try thier hand at steel..
    A very dear friend said to me about 6 years ago (after I was bragging up my fly tiyng skills and presintation on a delayed havest section in a south western trout creek) Have you ever been Steelhead fishing? no I said whats that?  well after a wekend trip (he has a camp on 12 mile) I was hooked ..eventhough I am very proficient at  trout fishing and have done so in Pa,Va, WVa, and colorado nothing and I do Mean NOTHING was Like Steelhead Fishing ---The Rythem you have to have with others fishing so close to you --the fish on  etiquitte-- ect . I was briefed on the 2+ hr ride from leechburg to harborcreek on some of the common courtesys EXPECTED from me  and from others ---The first morning I fished in a less than ideal place ,all the time keeping my eye on some seasoned veterens..my friend and his dad and most of his family....I learned alot that day , and I try to brief others That I now take with me ...But I STILL remember I was green once too ..I try to give everyone the same courtesy they show me ..So just remember as you tend to bash the yinzer,mupears ect -- remember you were green once too..and there isnt a whole lot of good fishing this time of year in Pa. other than steel..and unfortunatley not everyone was born with a fly rod in thier hand..If you see a "less than inlightened" person whipping a boat anchor size sinker out in no drift water-- descreatly mention--nicely --that perhaps he will get more strikes by lightining up his weight selection -- It has been my experience if you find yourself  fishing  next uneducated people try to educate them within reason ..and if they are doing better than you step back --and learn ...

Fishing is the only sport where sometimes there is a sucker at each end of the rod!
    Caddisman1
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: Post Gazette article 2007/10/25 21:34:39 (permalink)
    I enjoyed reading Your post BugHawk well said.

John
    saltydog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 286
    RE: Post Gazette article 2007/10/25 22:08:40 (permalink)

kyler16
    Date 10/25/2007 4:03:45 PM

we dont have to go to new york
    Split Shot
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 891
    RE: Post Gazette article 2007/10/25 22:20:55 (permalink)
    Good posts! Bug and St. Croix

My Wife said, if I go fish'n one more time, she'll leave me! God, I'm going to miss her!
    Loopy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1437
    RE: Post Gazette article 2007/10/25 22:28:13 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: kyler16

They love em'.

<---  The Holy Trinity
    kyler16
    Pro Angler
    RE: Post Gazette article 2007/10/25 22:40:03 (permalink)
    Isnt Erie just like most trout streams are during the first few weeks when every usually only fishes the weekends, then as the later the season the fewer the people.

I wouldnt know what New yorkers would say, just figured since some people in erie hates out of towners Im sure there is some new yorkers who hates out of towners as well.

-Steve Rinella
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: Post Gazette article 2007/10/25 22:45:03 (permalink)
    MackJ,
        What Bug is saying about uninformed and uncaring individuals is unfortunately too true.  I am a waaymupher, it takes me over 10 hours to get to the tribs, yet when I arrive, one of the first people I want to fish with is Bughawk.  The man is the epitome of fishing class and manners.  Even though I drive way too far, and spend way too much money in Erie I wish I had the skill and the manners of Bug, Skip, TT and a few others I have fished with.
          Basically the man speaks the truth!  You don't have to be a Mupper' to show bad ethics. And most mupher's don't!  But there seems to be a mentality, when there is good flow in the creeks, that "anything  goes" just to catch a fish.
          I recently spent a week in Erie and I caught and landed 3 fish, including a 22.5 inch lake-run Brown which made my year,  I spent an entire day teaching a 12 year old and a newbie how to fly fish. So not everyone is a snob or without a clue.
         Please get the gist of Bug's message.  The prospect of "easy" fish brings out both the best and the worst anglers.  If the steelhead were as tough to catch as a muskie or an 18 inch brook trout there would be very few people fishing for them.  And it only takes one or two slobs to ruin the party.  Please go up to the tribs, and if you see a gentleman fishing, and he is helping some and coaching others, and remonstrating some who need it, and if he gives up his spot to let you fish if you ask for help; you have probably met Bug.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    kyler16
    Pro Angler
    RE: Post Gazette article 2007/10/25 22:49:56 (permalink)
    When they say bug is smart.... LISTEN you dont get called a DR. by just producing hip hop music for a long time. When he gave me address for me to mail him flies I couldnt believe it that someone of his knowledge and kindness blesses us with his word and presents. Havent fished with him yet, but hope to soon. 

-Steve Rinella
    youngguru
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 681
    RE: Post Gazette article 2007/10/26 00:26:36 (permalink)

When they say bug is smart.... LISTEN you dont get called a DR. by just producing hip hop music for a long time. When he gave me address for me to mail him flies I couldnt believe it that someone of his knowledge and kindness blesses us with his word and presents. Havent fished with him yet, but hope to soon. 

buttkissR  
    kyler16
    Pro Angler
    RE: Post Gazette article 2007/10/26 00:41:50 (permalink)
    could of been worse.

-Steve Rinella
    Loopy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1437
    RE: Post Gazette article 2007/10/26 08:06:13 (permalink)

Isnt Erie just like most trout streams are during the first few weeks when every usually only fishes the weekends, then as the later the season the fewer the people.

I wouldnt know what New yorkers would say, just figured since some people in erie hates out of towners Im sure there is some new yorkers who hates out of towners as well.

Kyler, you can bet there are a lot of out-of-towners who can't stand Erieites as well.

<---  The Holy Trinity
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: Post Gazette article 2007/10/26 08:35:13 (permalink)
    Thinking about this whole issue a bit more, I keep coming back to one thing, is stress.  Even if we are looking forward to a day fishing, many of us are under some stress.  We may have to take a day off of work, rearrange our schedules, put off things we should be doing, drive for hours in the middle of the night, not get enough sleep, drink too much coffee, not eat properly, etc... and to top it all off, we are fighting the clock to get in as much fishing as we can within the limited time.  On top of this, some have a sense that the trip is not a success unless we were "pounding" the fish and if anything or anyone gets in your way, the stress levels go through the roof.  The stress to have a good time is what can ruin our time on the stream.

I go to the Outer Banks of NC once a year for a couple of weeks, primarily to fish and secondarily to eat seafood....  I used to try to spend every waking moment fishing, only taking time to sleep and eat.  Being a bit OCD I felt I had to be fishing as much as I could.  By the end of my trip I would be worn out and pretty cranky, especially if the fishing was not good.  I felt cheated if I was not slamming the fish.  I don't take that approach any more.  I fish when I feel like, take a nap, read a book, find a nice little out of the way place to have some fresh soft shell crabs, in other words, I enjoy myself and try not to obsess about fishing.

For me once I allowed myself to relax and enjoy myself, I started enjoying the fishing much more and realized there is more to life than fishing.  My advice for everyone coming up to fish is to really be honest with yourself about why you are fishing.  What do you want to get out of the experience and are you enjoying yourself?  I believe once you reflect a bit you may change your outlook and end up having a much better time when you come to Erie.

pax vobiscum +
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: