Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
outdrwriter
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 64
  • Reward points: 0
2007/10/24 21:09:38 (permalink)

Snaggers

From WCO report today. There are pics with the report, http://www.fishusa.com/FishErie/WCO/Updates/

"Early Sunday morning found two out of state individuals quietly loading their night's catch into their vehicle near the Manchester Hole. They did well... a total of 33 steelhead were confiscated estimated at over 200 Lbs.. of fish. They were hiding some of the largest weighted treble hooks we've seen in this area and coupled with the saltwater rods and reels they were using, it probably didn't take them long to fill the garbage bags they were using for transport. Fines for these greedy individuals totaled over $1000.00. Both individuals went to the trouble of buying 3 day tourist licenses although one elected not to purchase a Lake Erie Stamp or a Trout Stamp...guess he wasn't thinking. When it was all said and done, one of the individuals was very upset at Officer Tolbert and I that we would not return his snagging hooks. "
post edited by outdrwriter - 2007/10/24 21:11:03

30 Replies Related Threads

tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4334
    RE: Snaggers 2007/10/24 21:16:21 (permalink)
    $500.00 each...not nearly enough.

Good work buy the WCO's.  They'll have their hands full this weekend

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
    cp13
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 542
    RE: Snaggers 2007/10/24 21:21:01 (permalink)
    DID U SEE THOSE HOOKS? holy hell...they both shud get more than 500$ maybe 2000$ each...all of those steelhead now dead cause of them...33 is a hell of a lot if u think about it..
    kyler16
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2396
    RE: Snaggers 2007/10/24 21:43:30 (permalink)
    what happends with those fish? do they do anythnig good with them like donate them? Where in the world would they purchase those hooks 2.99 looked like the price tag on them. I hope no bait shops locally were selling them thats basically encouraging snagging unless those hooks are used for something else. Still  they should be removed from shelves in any bait shop. 

"If you kill it, eat it. If you eat it, cook it right."
    -Steve Rinella
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: Snaggers 2007/10/24 21:44:12 (permalink)
    WOW...
    those are some serious hooks... its hard to even make a smart**** or joking comment after seeing the pics...
    look at the hook marks on the sides of the fish!!!

is this animal cruelity??? can we get some Vick-style charges and fines???
    setting a 8oz trebble with surf gear and tossing them in a bag sounds like something more that 500 each...

what about a post/sticky with numbers to report violations???
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: Snaggers 2007/10/24 22:06:36 (permalink)
    Good job WCO's. 

pax vobiscum +
    STEALYS4ME
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1443
    RE: Snaggers 2007/10/24 22:15:48 (permalink)
    Great job.  Im just trying to understand why u would want so many steelhead????  I like a few smoked thats it.
    kyler16
    Pro Angler
    RE: Snaggers 2007/10/24 22:37:35 (permalink)
    I got 1 smoked from poor richards gave a few pieces away and I still have a whole side, I try to eat it every once in a while but you can only take so much fish. I couldnt imagine 33 steelhead unless they intended on selling them to a restaurant or market.

And for the one to have enough nerve to get upset about the wco's for not giving them their hooks back.

-Steve Rinella
    saltflyfisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 565
    RE: Snaggers 2007/10/25 06:21:18 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: kyler16

I couldnt imagine 33 steelhead unless they intended on selling them to a restaurant or market.

Ding, ding, ding we may have a winner. Could you imagine the look on the peoples face when thats served as wild, and you expect a smooth sweet taste to happen.

And for the one to have enough nerve to get upset about the wco's for not giving them their hooks back.

At a couple $ each you cut into their profit.

post edited by saltflyfisher - 2007/10/25 06:22:40
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8508
    RE: Snaggers 2007/10/25 07:30:03 (permalink)
    Frenchy,s.

AnimalCannibal1
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 34
    RE: Snaggers 2007/10/25 07:37:18 (permalink)
    Those didnt look like hooks, more like mt climbing equipment or something off batmans belt.

..And then I saw a sheet being let down from Heaven and it contained all the four legged creatures of the Earth. And then the Lord told me "Get up Peter, Kill and Eat."
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Snaggers 2007/10/25 07:45:24 (permalink)
      They used to sell those snagging hooks in NY when snagging was legal at olcott. What a sight 75 guys flinging giant crickets all day..Helmets and flak vests encouraged.
     I think the fine should be by the fish. You kill more you pay more..

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

glen
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 920
    RE: Snaggers 2007/10/25 08:21:17 (permalink)
    THOSE HOOKS ARE CALLED MICHIGAN CRIKETS BACK FROM THE DAYS WHEN THEY LET YOU SNAG SALMON IN MI. THEN IN N.Y. THEY ARE STILL FOR SALE BECAUSE SOME STATES ALLOW SUCKER SNAGGING IN THE SPRING. AT THE DAM AT OAK ORCHARD THE GUYS WOULD BE SHOULDER TO SHOULDER WAILING AWAY. GUYS WOULD BREAK OFF ON THE ROCK LEDGES EVERY 10 OR 15 CASTS. THERE WAS A 12 YR OLD KID THERE THAT HAD A WEIGHTED 6' MASS OF MONO LINE THAT HE THREW OUT AND DREDGED THE BOTTOM RETRIEVING CRIKETS HE WOULD SELL BACK TO THE SNAGGERS. ANOTHER KID WOULD CARRY THE FISH UP TO THE PARKING LOT FOR A BUCK APIECE. YOUCOULD GO THERE ANY TIME AND GET A COUPLE GALLONS OF LOOSE SALMON EGGS WITHOUT EVEN FISHING. SOME OF THE GUYS DIDN'T EVEN KNOW THE FISH HAD EGGS IN THEM.
    kyler16
    Pro Angler
    RE: Snaggers 2007/10/25 08:31:30 (permalink)
    How is that even fun? nothing disappoints me more then seeing a fish come in backwards. Even snagging suckers how is that enjoyable? I got tons yesterday on a local stream on hares ear if theres so many some will eventually suck your bait up. Thats like shooting 6 deer in one season there just isnt a point to it. 

-Steve Rinella
    glen
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 920
    RE: Snaggers 2007/10/25 09:05:12 (permalink)
    I GUESS IT WAS FUN TO THE GUYS DOING IT AND IT WAS LEGAL . WHEN IT WAS OUTLAWED PEOPLE GRADUALLY FOUND OUT THAT THE SALMON WOULD BITE. BUT DURING THE SNAGGING LOTS OF PEOPLE HAD BIG BROWNS AND STEELHEAD ON THEIR STRINGERS THAT THEY THOUGHT WERE SALMON.
    NOWADAYS SOME PEOPLE LOOK AT THE LINEUP AT WALNUT AND WONDER HOW SOMEONE COULD THINK THAT WAS FUN.
    [NOT REFERRING TO YOU]
    I STOPPED AT WALNUT YESTERDAY AFTERNOON [WENS] AFTER CATCHING SOME FISH IN A SMALL CROWD AT 16 MILE. I WALKED INTO A RUN AND SAT ON THE BANK. EVENTUALLY SOMEONE LEFT AND I GOT TO FISH. I HOOKED FISH BUT IT WASN'T MUCH FUN.MOST OF THE PEOPLE WERE OK BUT THERE WERE A COUPLE OF GUYS WHO DIDN'T WANT TO PULL THERE LINES OUT WNEN A FISH WAS HOOKED AND ONE GUY WANTED TO CROSS THE CRICK IN FRONT OF WHERE I WAS DRIFTING. HE ASKED ME IF I MINDED AND I SAID "WHAT IF I DID?'' THEN HE WADED ACROSS.

Katty
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 169
    RE: Snaggers 2007/10/25 09:23:09 (permalink)
    Should have been $500.00 a fish!
    TJR178
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 40
    RE: Snaggers 2007/10/25 10:04:50 (permalink)
    +1 on that Katty.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9692
    RE: Snaggers 2007/10/25 11:29:33 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: KJH807

is this animal cruelity??? can we get some Vick-style charges and fines???

That would just be fuel for PETA and the like to ban fishing all together.  You get these guys for animal cruelity, then next thing you know, a judge decides that all fishing is cruel.  If fish can feel pain, then how is a hook in the mouth any less cruel than a hook in the back?  Not that 90% of the trib steelhead don't already have a few hooks in their backs from people fishing for them in these conditions.  I don't think that fish can feel pain, so none should have animal cruelity charges.
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1656
    RE: Snaggers 2007/10/25 12:47:19 (permalink)
    What would drive a man to let fouled fish go one day, only to rope them the next day?  He got caught, but the worst offender got away, for now.  I hated doing it, but I'd be just as wrong for not calling.  Jerks!  Thanks for ruining my morning.  They're frikin' fish!  Stupid fish at that.  "Well, I got my two.  Now I can go home and work on the roof."  I hope you choke on a bone!

pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: Snaggers 2007/10/25 13:37:40 (permalink)
    The fact that the snagger got upset that he was n't getting those hooks back tell me that they r'e going to come back again,apparantly $1000 fine is n't enough.They should get their **** hooks imbeded in their ****,see how they like it,then beat them with a whip,maybe that 'll change their ways!
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: Snaggers 2007/10/25 13:49:45 (permalink)
    People who snag fish are not interested in playing by the rules.  They see fines as an inconvenience.  They will be back I am sure.  It happens every year.  This is nothing new.  These people do not care about anyone but themselves nor do they care about the law.  Snagging is only the tip of the iceberg with these guys.  A fine will slow them down some, but it will not change their fundamental outlook on life and their lack of respect for the rest of society.

pax vobiscum +
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    RE: Snaggers 2007/10/25 13:56:23 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Porktown

That would just be fuel for PETA and the like to ban fishing all together.  You get these guys for animal cruelity, then next thing you know, a judge decides that all fishing is cruel.  If fish can feel pain, then how is a hook in the mouth any less cruel than a hook in the back?  Not that 90% of the trib steelhead don't already have a few hooks in their backs from people fishing for them in these conditions.  I don't think that fish can feel pain, so none should have animal cruelity charges.

good point... i guess a certain mindset would equate legal sport to cruelity...

kyler16
    Pro Angler
    RE: Snaggers 2007/10/25 15:09:03 (permalink)
    Rig them up with a ankle braclet that will notify where they are at all times, locate them see if they are going to be repeat offenders and send them to jail with the rapist.

The guy who lives down the street from my parents is on that megans law list. When he was 18 in highschool his girlfriend was 15. Her parents had him arrested and convicted. Him and his girlfriend well now his wife have 4 kids together. Now hes not like those guys on to catch a predator. But they should make up something for poachers put them on that list and keep them from obtaining fishing licenses in any area.

-Steve Rinella
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: Snaggers 2007/10/25 15:24:07 (permalink)
    Just wondering because I don't know . . . is there a black market for steelhead?  I mean are these losers doing this for "fun" or are they getting some cash somewhere for these fish or eggs?  I would think that there must be some financial payoff here.  And I don't mean the jagoffs who run a little cleo over the backs of fish over and over again till they get 3 roped & smoked and head home.  I mean the guys mentioned in the WCO report and the guys with nets at Trout Run under the cover of darkness.
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    RE: Snaggers 2007/10/25 15:32:21 (permalink)
    ever eat sushi in Erie???

flirod4evr
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 208
    RE: Snaggers 2007/10/25 15:45:12 (permalink)
    If you guys think those hooks are big I once saw 12/0 treble hooks with 6 ounces of lead on them in the bass pro book. At the time I had no clue what they could legally be used for and I still dont have an answer. It just makes me sick to see that many ilegal fish just wasted.
    saltflyfisher
    Expert Angler
    RE: Snaggers 2007/10/25 16:30:19 (permalink)
    These are still sold, yes here in NJ. Any tackle shop along the shore sells them, at couple dollars each. They are used to snag menhaden( bunker) for striped bass bait in the spring. Many of us use them for that purpose, but now a lot of us have gone to cast nets. Same outcome bait in the boat.
    ORIGINAL: flirod4evr

If you guys think those hooks are big I once saw 12/0 treble hooks with 6 ounces of lead on them in the bass pro book. At the time I had no clue what they could legally be used for and I still dont have an answer. It just makes me sick to see that many ilegal fish just wasted.
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: Snaggers 2007/10/25 16:46:26 (permalink)
    Hey  Salty,  How has the stripper fishing been?  I heard a rumor that in NC and Virginia the numbers have been way down this year.

pax vobiscum +
    joebaker79
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 805
    RE: Snaggers 2007/10/25 17:30:31 (permalink)
    i'm not sure why manchester has to be open to night fishing, seems they catch some snaggers with 50 fish every year there.  why not allow the wall only for night fishing at walnut?  in fact that should be the only fishing after dark in erie.  its the only area easy to patrol at night.  like i said on the reports page they should take a few of these fish and put them where they never thought one would go....
    saltflyfisher
    Expert Angler
    RE: Snaggers 2007/10/25 18:10:51 (permalink)
    Those numbers I'm not aware of. Our spring season started out slow, but once the fish showed they stayed around. Bass were being caught in through august. Right now everyone is waiting for the fall run to start. Once it does all hell should brake loose. There are large amounts of bait sitting in the back bays around all the marina's. This is the most anyone has seen in any of the yrs past. We were out this past sunday, found some false albacore, but nothing wanted a fly. Caught bait w/ the cast net and w/ a single throw had in excess of 400 bunker(5-6 in in size). Only had blues come to the live chum slick. We anchored on a reef and then proceded to catch tog or black fish they are also known as. For the next 7 hrs there was a low of 1/2 hr w/ no bits. We caught tog from 1lb to 8 lbs. Your able to keep one each at this time of the yr, so everything else went back. Come nov. 15 that changes, 8 per person. If anyone has blackfish its like eating lobster, absolutely sweet white meat.

Come our fall run the bass will readily take flies. So anything close to the bunker pattern will work. Intermixed w/ them will also be blues, up to 12 lb'ers.

I've had a pretty good yr here w/ bass to 25 lbs in the spring and blues to 10 lbs. False albacore and bonita on the fly. Tried chasing a ghost again this yr w/ the tuna. So far no luck, did get a small schooly bluefin a couple yrs ago, but now looking for the mom or dad of jr. Never in the right spot for the mahi or the sharks either this yr. Looking for that shark on the fly, and I have done the mahi on the fly. W/ them the take happens in front of you. They flash, light up and charge the fly.

I was hoping to make to erie this yr, but as usually the work comes in the way. I wish I was just a little closer than 7 hrs. Could make it a quick weekend trip, but nothing quick about the drive time. I'll have to shoot for the spring. Catch one for me.
    Tom
    ORIGINAL: Bughawk

Hey  Salty,  How has the stripper fishing been?  I heard a rumor that in NC and Virginia the numbers have been way down this year.

post edited by saltflyfisher - 2007/10/25 18:12:38
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: