ever see a bear while fishing the tribs?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
TransAmWS6
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 645
  • Reward points: 0
2007/10/23 19:47:53 (permalink)

ever see a bear while fishing the tribs?

just curious?  or maybe any other animal fishing next to you?

43 Replies Related Threads

PanfishSlayer
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 141
    RE: ever see a bear while fishing the tribs? 2007/10/23 19:55:26 (permalink)
    I saw a red-tail nab a chipmunk on Walnut a couple years back, but thats about it.
    kyler16
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2396
    RE: ever see a bear while fishing the tribs? 2007/10/23 19:57:44 (permalink)
    thought I did, turned out just to be one of the doberman runing around the woods behind its house. Boy did my friends get a good laught when they saw the look on my face. 

"If you kill it, eat it. If you eat it, cook it right."
    -Steve Rinella
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4334
    RE: ever see a bear while fishing the tribs? 2007/10/23 20:11:15 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: TransAmWS6

just curious?  or maybe any other animal fishing next to you?

Seen all kinds of animals fishing next to me.......... never a bear

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
    steelhead4ever
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 129
    RE: ever see a bear while fishing the tribs? 2007/10/23 20:16:11 (permalink)
    That would be something. If you ever do, make sure you shoot it. Maybe it's bigfoot.
    post edited by steelhead4ever - 2007/10/23 20:17:05
    walcat01
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 391
    RE: ever see a bear while fishing the tribs? 2007/10/23 20:43:49 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: steelhead4ever

That would be something. If you ever do, make sure you shoot it. Maybe it's bigfoot.

Or commander!

psbfisher11
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 158
    RE: ever see a bear while fishing the tribs? 2007/10/23 20:58:22 (permalink)
    do you think that there has ever been a feeding bear on the tribs catching steelhead...

i bet if one showed up more would come and it would look like the bears in alaska...

what do u think?
    Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: ever see a bear while fishing the tribs? 2007/10/23 21:03:51 (permalink)
    I saw this last week does it count??? 

swinger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1376
    RE: ever see a bear while fishing the tribs? 2007/10/23 21:11:41 (permalink)
    Saw a polar bear on Elk last year. Smokey the Bear on Walnut.
    StCroix Boy
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 44
    RE: ever see a bear while fishing the tribs? 2007/10/23 21:20:17 (permalink)
    Saw a bear in the back woods near 20 mile I was horribly lost looking for snake hole .....Thank god I didnt hit it  looked to be about 150 lb thought it was a dog at first

Fishing is the only sport where sometimes there is a sucker at each end of the rod!
    nightowl207
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 567
    RE: ever see a bear while fishing the tribs? 2007/10/23 21:52:03 (permalink)
    Never saw anything in erie. i did see a deer swim from launch 3 to first cove past the causeway at lake wilhelm.( probably close to 250yds) i was in the cove he swam to, in my boat. i saw it when it was about halfway across and i just thought it was a beaver. then it came within 20yds of my boat, climbed up on shore, then it just stood there like 25-30yds away. it couldnt even move. i was making noise and everything. it just stood there with its head hanging down.

W A R N I N G.......keep in mind these are only opinions. they may be dumb, smart, right, or wrong in your eyes.
    *commander*
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2647
    RE: ever see a bear while fishing the tribs? 2007/10/23 22:07:54 (permalink)
    hey old fella. glad to see you up. is that you in the picture on the wall? are you trying to get that bear to transport the steel back and forth? cheers to you.
    STEALYS4ME
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1443
    RE: ever see a bear while fishing the tribs? 2007/10/23 22:11:28 (permalink)
    I bet up on the new york tribs theres plenty of bears feasting on all the dead kings laying dead.  Carcasses laying everywhere.
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: ever see a bear while fishing the tribs? 2007/10/23 23:11:16 (permalink)
    flock of turkeys between the chutes and rt5 ... and no thats not a smart **** comment, thats serious
    post edited by jlh42581 - 2007/10/23 23:14:05
    WaxWorm
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 134
    RE: ever see a bear while fishing the tribs? 2007/10/23 23:25:07 (permalink)
    One time while fishing walnut just above rt 5, I had the living sh1t scared out of me. It was just starting to get light when all of the sudden I hear this loud thrashing and splashing behind me. I almost jumped out of my waders when I look to see it was 3 dear coming down the hill into the creek...lol
    Happy Guy
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 50
    RE: ever see a bear while fishing the tribs? 2007/10/24 08:58:42 (permalink)
    Was night fishing at Elk Creek access last fall when I noticed a wake coming towards me.  I thought maybe a muskrat.  Kept getting closer and closer so I turned on my flashlight.  Much to my surprise it was a skunk!!!!  His hair was all puffed up sticking out of the water.  Looked more like he was walking on water.  I never knew skunks could swim???????  Same spot a couple weeks ago I had a raccoon come within 6 foot of me.  Chased it away then an hour later he was back.  I guess I should start using a lantern!

Faith, Family, Friends, Fishing! The only F'ing way to live!
    killdeer19
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 654
    RE: ever see a bear while fishing the tribs? 2007/10/24 09:39:48 (permalink)
    I had a beaver swim past my legs while fishing the lagoons on P.I. under the first bridge.

I also had some squirrel hunter shoot over my head while fishing at Raccoon. I was in the stream next to a higher bank and the shot went through the trees just above my head. I had to yell to let him know I was there. He didn't see my orange hat.
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: ever see a bear while fishing the tribs? 2007/10/24 10:53:12 (permalink)
    No bears, except the one Skip posted.  I did have a very strange thing happen years ago on Elk.  A turkey came out of the wookds and followed me around for about an hour.  The bird would not leave my side until I eventually walked further than it wanted to go.  It was not aggressive, just very friendly.  It looked to be a wild bird, but I am beating it had been raised around humans, and may have been someone's pet.

Other critters I have seen include hawks, the usual ducks and geese, deer, muskrats, squirrels, snakes, frogs, beavers (not DB), herons, turkeys, raccoons, a ferret, and drunk rednecks... 

pax vobiscum +
    Storm Warning 2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 583
    RE: ever see a bear while fishing the tribs? 2007/10/24 11:01:00 (permalink)
    I know that there is one over towards Racoon.  My buddy has a cottage over that way on the lake and there is a picture of it standing on a rock directly across from his cabin this summer. 
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: ever see a bear while fishing the tribs? 2007/10/24 11:34:31 (permalink)
    We do have bears in NWPA, just seen one on the creeks.  A friend of mine saw one the other day crossing I 79 near the McKean exit.  If it was near McKean, it most likely will be down on the stream from time to time for no other reason than to get a drink of water. 

There has also been a bear(s) hanging around the Edinboro area for several years. 

Personally I would love to see a bear on the creek.  It would be neat to watch it catching fish, but I am not sure how much black bears are interested in doing that.  I do know brown bears love fish and will gorge themselves on salmon in the fall. 

pax vobiscum +
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: ever see a bear while fishing the tribs? 2007/10/24 13:19:19 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Bughawk
     I did have a very strange thing happen years ago on Elk.  A turkey came out of the wookds and followed me around for about an hour.  The bird would not leave my side until I eventually walked further than it wanted to go.  It was not aggressive, just very friendly.  It looked to be a wild bird, but I am beating it had been raised around humans, and may have been someone's pet.

That happened to me too, same kind of scenario on Elk.  Did this happen below Folly's about 1/4-1/3 mile, maybe it was 2 or 3 seasons ago, in the fall?

About 6 years ago, on a sunny October Wednesday on Middle Elk, I had a large section of stream to myself.  I heard a swoosh, swoosh above me.  I looked up and a Bald Eagle flew about 30 feet above my head.  He was below the treetops, cruising the stream corridor.  So low, I could hear the wind in his feathers.  Totally cool site.  I've not seen an Eagle on the tribs since.

No bears though.
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: ever see a bear while fishing the tribs? 2007/10/24 13:57:08 (permalink)
    Yep D-nymph, it must have been the same bird.  The time frame and location are right on.  Would have been cool to see the eagle.  I saw an eagle on Conneaut creek a couple of years ago.  Neat birds

pax vobiscum +
    cp13
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 542
    RE: ever see a bear while fishing the tribs? 2007/10/24 14:28:18 (permalink)
    i had about 20 deer share the same creek with me once they were about 20 or 30 yards away all standing in the shallow riffles...they didnt bother me none...was kinda weird though because 5 would watch me when i moved then go back to getting a drink....this was in new york near findley lake not pa though...
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: ever see a bear while fishing the tribs? 2007/10/24 14:50:22 (permalink)
    One of the strangest things I have ever seen is a squirrel swimming.  I was hunting down near Crossingville a few years ago and saw squirrel head down to the creek behind where I was set up.  It walked down a log and looked to be getting a drink.  Splash it was in the water and doing a squirrel paddle across the stream.  When it got to the other side of the creek, it hopped out, did a little shake and headed off to find some nuts.  I never knew that squirrels could swim. 

pax vobiscum +
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: ever see a bear while fishing the tribs? 2007/10/24 14:51:53 (permalink)
    As for deer in a stream or along a stream bank, something about water seems to calm them down.  I have numerous time while canoeing paddled right up to deer and they just stood there and looked at me.  I guess they did not know what I was and more importantly figured I was not a threat.

pax vobiscum +
    steelheadman28
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 393
    RE: ever see a bear while fishing the tribs? 2007/10/24 17:11:29 (permalink)
    Never saw a bear and do see a ton of deer and couple racoon but no bear.
    fishrmn
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 675
    RE: ever see a bear while fishing the tribs? 2007/10/24 17:44:09 (permalink)
    I've also seen a bald eagle on Elk.  Seen it above the legion hole about two years ago, cool birds.

-Tim
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: ever see a bear while fishing the tribs? 2007/10/24 20:38:24 (permalink)
    Saw a Mink a couple yrs ago at the Manchester Hole.It came to the streams edge and looked over at everyone,then it scurried back and forth a couple times and ran back in the brush.This happened in the middle of the day with the hole lined with anglers.
    The last Bear I saw was a few years ago from the window of my sunroom,in fact there were two of them.They destroyed my bird feeder and made a nuicance of themselves.I called the Game Commission and they came and darted them.That was a fun time,I have pictures of the Bear and the family while it was snoozing.By the way I live about 7 miles west of Allentown,not really Bear country but they do wander thru.
    coho yokel 1
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 73
    RE: ever see a bear while fishing the tribs? 2007/10/24 20:51:25 (permalink)
    Thought i did but it was just my brother in law returning from a walk downstream right before dark aka big dummy he is about 6ft 6in 330lbs seriousley i am not kidding but he looks more like a yeti

No one of us
    knows more than all of us
    (Bill Herzog)
    Sealegs
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 15
    RE: ever see a bear while fishing the tribs? 2007/10/24 21:26:14 (permalink)
    This past summer I wanted to boat Lake Erie but the lake was pretty bad because of high winds. Being unable to control my urge to go fishing I decided to go down to Muddy Creek and try my luck. I’ve been fishing here for 30+ years and I always catch trout and never encounter another person. In fact I don’t recall seeing so much as a people print in the mud. If I am ever missing I hope someone will start searching here because I’ve probably got myself into some kind of fix.

The streamside and general terrain is very difficult to traverse because it’s so overgrown. You can’t really see more than a few feet away because of the thick cover. In fact once I make it to the stream I usually stay in the water.

Anyhows I get my waders on and I’m about to head down to the stream when I notice this heavy “wet dog” smell. Ever smell a wet dog and you recognize it right away. Of course I don’t think much about it so I lock up the car and head down to the creek.

I get about twenty feet away from the stream when up jumps this BIG black bear. He was no further away than 5 feet away from me and standing on his hind legs. He looked and sounded VERY ****ed off. Not sure what kind of sounds I was making. (Good thing I didn’t have to go to the bathroom too!)

Well I’m standing on my hind legs too only I have to look up to see him eye to eye. Then I remember from some nature show that you’re not supposed to look them in the eye. (I think it were bears they were talking about but it might have been gorillas.) It didn’t matter, as I wasn’t necessarily going to hang around looking into that monster’s eyes anyway. Do you think he was looking at my eyes?

Next thing I know he’s down off his hind legs and taking a step in my direction. So then I’m thinking how he’d take to a good whipping with my fishing pole? That would’ve probably just aggravated him to the point where he was really going to beat the s**t out of me bear style. (Which really means biting, clawing and generally disemboweling me.) I ruled out the pole whipping idea.

At that point I put plan two into effect and basically ran as fast as a person can run in neoprene waders through brush, brambles and deadfalls. I’ll tell something that’s pretty fast when you can smell bear breath over your shoulder for sure. Being a good Catholic (especially when I figure I could be bear snack) I essentially told God that I’m going to be his dedicated servant from now on no kidding if he’ll at least trip the bear or something. (A bolt of lightening up his backside would’ve been more dramatic but hey I’ll accept anything to live on.)

Guess what? Praise the Lord in all His infinite mercy I made it back to my car. (And that wimp bear didn’t even follow me.) Still I sat in my car for an hour just to be sure. I can only hope I ruined that bear’s day as much as he ruined mine.      
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: