tribs 10/13/07

Author
coolerfull1
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 257
  • Reward points: 0
2007/10/13 21:39:00 (permalink)

tribs 10/13/07

Same stuff you've been hearing is true for all tribs, low, clear, no flow, and elbow to elbow.  More fisherman than fish.  If you are planning a trip to fish and catch fish (the hell with the sightseeing and the nice fall foliage scenery, I'd go to Vermont if I wanted that crap), don't bother unless Erie get's hammered with rain for 3-5 days at least.  Maybe some brutal storms followed by consistent rain for a week or two may be needed.  The ground is going to suck alot of water up along with any feeder creeks.  One big storm may bring them up and muddy, but they will go down just as fast.  Jive turkey will be able to draw some more 'cheap heat' from you guys if he went to walnut today with another blow to desperate steelheaders.  Stop sign hole looked like a fish tank in a pet store that was holding a few fish that were too big for the tank they were in; surrounded by men that out numbered them.  Some spots had 3 inched of water with one fish that is spooked out of it's mind with two guys throwing over top of one another trying to catch it.  You get the idea.

17 Replies Related Threads

nightowl207
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 567
    RE: tribs 10/13/07 2007/10/13 22:12:54 (permalink)
    i imagine when the lake is fishable it is packed in pretty good eh. im sure people are catchin their limits with all the fresh steelies that have been waitin to get in the creeks though. there will be better fishing days to come, its still early in the season.
    fishrmn
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 675
    RE: tribs 10/13/07 2007/10/13 22:28:00 (permalink)
    Sorry man, but you must be blind if you actualy think there are more fish then fishermen.  Sure the crowds are bad, but theres plenty of fish to be caught.  I had my best day of the season so far on friday with many, many fish landed, we'll see what happens tomorrow.  I didnt fish walnut long, but there was PLENTY of fish there.

Heres a pic of lower elk from friday...

-Tim
    STEALYS4ME
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1443
    RE: tribs 10/13/07 2007/10/13 22:47:03 (permalink)
    WOW nice pic looks good be up next weekend.
    coolerfull1
    Expert Angler
    RE: tribs 10/13/07 2007/10/14 12:42:46 (permalink)
    That picture can get the blood pumping, but is very misleading.  Few holes on the lower ends of the tribs look like that, and the ones that do have just as many lines going in at them.  Spooked as hell.  Although, the picture kind of says it all, 6 inches of clear water.  Hope you hammer them if you go up, gotta satisfy the urge.  Anyboby interested in knowing, I did do some walking on SOME not ALL upper stretches of Elk and saw no fish.  Getting there before dawn, having 3 quick hookups in low and clear water soon to be surrounded with no decent action the rest of the day and bragging about a limit is not my idea of fun.  I personally saw no one with more than 1 on their stringers yesterday.  Getting there before dawn and having some consistent action throughout is more like it.  Get some rain and show me a picture of the creeks when I can't see the bottom of them, that will be a picture worth getting excited about.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: tribs 10/13/07 2007/10/14 14:03:42 (permalink)
    Actually, the picture reflects the situation from the boat ramp to the lake, and the first 5-6 holding areas upstream.

Look guys. It is, what it is. There are a LOT of fish in the lower end. Sometimes there is room to fish, other times it is quite crowded. The fish have definately been beat on, and are tough to catch. They are a bit more active now that the water has cooled some, but stll tough. You CAN catch fish though. The key is adapting to the situation. If you are set on anchoring shein, or powerbait to the bottom, you are going to have a very slow day. The same holds true if drifting egg patterns is your only plan ( there IS no drift ). Many fish ARE being caught, many others are being "hooked" . Watch those that are CATCHING, and take notice of what they are doing differently from those that are not.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    *steelking*
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 71
    RE: tribs 10/13/07 2007/10/14 14:52:14 (permalink)
    Spoon hit the nail right on the head..
    coolerfull1
    Expert Angler
    RE: tribs 10/13/07 2007/10/14 15:06:02 (permalink)
    I agree, it is what it is, and this topic in general gets more beat up and wore out than the steelhead that are holding in lower Elk right now.  I believe steelys4me has to plan a trip from quite a distance so I'm trying to be as accurate as possible.  The picture of these fish make me think of an infomercial that tells you how to become a millionaire overnight easily, but you know better.  In other words, misleading to show someone who is anxious to go fishing.  I can't agree with "alot" of fish there and "alot" of fish being caught.  Not by good, even half decent conditions you may expect this time of year.  That would be like me catching some 2-3 lb. 15-18" fish and telling everyone what a great trout fisherman I am.  Then someone who knows better finds out they were steelhead from Erie and knows it's subpar considering the where and what's.  The ground and 'watersheds' need filled along with the creeks and some all day rains to follow, keeping the flow and color.  Think of going through a period when you can't remember the last time you saw the sun because it's been raining so much.....that's what we need.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: tribs 10/13/07 2007/10/14 15:32:57 (permalink)
    Accuracy is the point. To read some posts, one would believe that there are 2000 anglers. and 200 fish, when the it is actually the reverse. Whether, or not the fishing is good, is subjective based on each individuals skills, and expectations. We should post an accurate, ( and honest ) description of the conditions, and let others decide for themselves wether or not it is worth the trip. In a dozen, or more trips over the past three weeks, I have only made one that I would consider not worth making, and it STILL wasn't bad. Others may have had the exact same results, and considered it a wasted trip. The posts that say "It's not worth the trip, stay home" have no meaning, because it is only THAT individuals perspective.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    steelheadman28
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 393
    RE: tribs 10/13/07 2007/10/14 20:19:28 (permalink)
    plz we need rain and nice pic
    coho yokel 1
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 73
    RE: tribs 10/13/07 2007/10/14 20:47:35 (permalink)
    This is my view of the current sitiation,i believe a lot of steelheaders are new to this wonderful sport,and most caught this dreaded disease fishing erie tribs, got spoiled on lots of hookups fish landed etc, when i started my steelhead days they were on sandy creek grindstone creek salmon river etc,3 fish landed a day was fantastic then so the numbers even during less than ideal conditions on pa tribs are still way above average,when compared to other great lake states,just be patient it will be cool

No one of us
    knows more than all of us
    (Bill Herzog)
    fishrmn
    Expert Angler
    RE: tribs 10/13/07 2007/10/14 21:12:19 (permalink)
    Spoon hit the nail on the head...

Fished lower Elk once again today, all day.  Between four of us we probably brought to hand 3 dozen or so, with countless more lost due to running into the logs/breakoffs.  Not quite as well as friday, but still a good day.  Action was pretty steady all day, seems like everyone caught at least something.  Probably the most crowded I've ever seen lower Elk, but hey it is what it is.

This guy here made my day!

Seen one other HUGE brown caught by a guy fishing next to me, that one didn't go back though.

-Tim
    pxatim
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4786
    RE: tribs 10/13/07 2007/10/14 21:14:58 (permalink)
    fishrmn... pretty sure I saw you up above the log jam this morning.
    fishrmn
    Expert Angler
    RE: tribs 10/13/07 2007/10/14 22:27:58 (permalink)
    Yeah, that was probably me... introduce yourself next time!

-Tim
    brown trout
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 129
    RE: tribs 10/13/07 2007/10/15 14:41:59 (permalink)
    Nice brown man. Contrary to what many like to think, there is quite a few browns around anymore, we usually tangle with a few every year. They defintiley do make your day when you get when one up there.
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: tribs 10/13/07 2007/10/15 15:37:38 (permalink)
    I pulled a nice hen brown out last week.  She was 5 and a quarter lbs according to the scale at Poor Richards.  Lots of nice eggs for sacks later if we get some rain.  She did not taste too bad either, not quite as good as I expected, but definitely edible.
    post edited by Bughawk - 2007/10/15 15:38:15

pax vobiscum +
    *steelking*
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 71
    RE: tribs 10/13/07 2007/10/15 16:12:57 (permalink)
    Looks like you finally saw a brown in elk lol. nice fish.
    glen
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 920
    RE: tribs 10/13/07 2007/10/15 17:03:31 (permalink)
    I GUESS AS THEY SAY,"TO EACH HIS OWN'. PERSONALLY , I FISH WHEN THE STREAMS ARE FISHABLE. TO ME THAT MEANS NOT HIGH AND MUDDY AND NOT LOW AND CLEAR. THE CONDITIONS NOW ARE WAY BEYOND LOW AND CLEAR, SO MUCH SO THAT EVEN IF I  FAIR HOOKED 20 FISH, I WOULD SAY THE FISHING EXPERIENCE SUCKED BECAUSE I DON'T AND NEVER DID LIKE SIGHT FISHING. CASTING REPEATEDLY AT SPOOKED FISH IN SHALLOW WATER, I BELIEVE , LEADS TO TOO MANY FOUL HOOKUPS. GIVE ME WATER TURNING GREEN  WITH A FOOT OF VISIBILITY OR I'LL DRIVE TIL I FIND IT. FROM OHIO TO LAKE ONTARIO THERE IS USUALLY SOMETHING FISHABLE.     JUST MY OPINION,   GLEN
    Jump to: