Stranded Smolts

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3352
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Stranded Smolts 2007/04/07 19:31:41 (permalink)
Toots,

how many fish do you need? I don't think there is enough of a challenge now.
  No accomplishment of any kind to catch 30" plus fish in them there cricks.

"the scientific & graceful art of throwing the artificial fly is a beautiful
         accomplishment, but not so difficult as is generally imagined"
                                    John Brown
boolywugger
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 45
RE: Stranded Smolts 2007/04/07 19:52:01 (permalink)
Why not barbless required,one fish limit? Put one on the stringer and go home! If you want to eat them have at it! I'd rather catch them twice then eat them once!
Grendel
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1675
RE: Stranded Smolts 2007/04/07 19:59:29 (permalink)
booly,

How does that proposed idea protect the smolts? 

Doc

The strength of a person isn't measured by the muscle in their arm or how tall they stand, but rather, by the amount of knowledge and area of versatility they can cover. CM ~ 1987

Not a fan of Burgh teams. Get over it...
boolywugger
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 45
RE: Stranded Smolts 2007/04/07 20:04:42 (permalink)
Makes them easier to get off the hook! If I hook into smolts, I move!  I have not had much trouble with them.
I have seen people "release" them after using a hook disgorger and a lot of pulling. I think they should have to eat them if they kill them- sushi!
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8561
RE: Stranded Smolts 2007/04/07 21:12:24 (permalink)
That MIGHT be, but I see far more dead adults in the fall, than dead smolt in the spring. Nothing wrong with disagreeing. It is obvious that the Steelhead fishery is important to you. The other fisheries, ( Smallies, stockies ) are equally important to those who enjoy them. As long as neither interferes with, or threatens the other, there is no reason that both can't co-exist.
ORIGINAL: tippy-toe

ORIGINAL: spoonchucker

I would bet, that there is a much higher mortality rate due to folks over playing fish in September. Than there is from deep hooked fish.

Spoon, we seem to be disagreeing allot lately

I disagree with that statement also, I would imagine that fewer fish die from overplaying in Sept. then do from abuse in their youth or getting the rope.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
mr.fisherman
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 169
RE: Stranded Smolts 2007/04/07 22:50:21 (permalink)
Special regs is all good with me. Last year bughawk and I hit a trib for anything that might be there. We ended up coming across a school of browns in the range of 9 - 12 inches. Seemed to be 75 - 100+. We passed on those tiny fish looking for other, larger  catches. Good thing it was us that found those fish and not greedy anglers.
kyler16
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2396
RE: Stranded Smolts 2007/04/08 02:26:34 (permalink)
dang I dont say anything for a while and yet Im brought up and bashed about how I give some tips for places for people to catch fish.  Went back to the dobermin hole today and fished with big flies and those billions apon billions of smolts found a way on the hook. I released them of course but I ended up hooking 4 or 5 25+ steelhead today in holes where there are smolts....Trout wizard caught a real nice chromer in the hole below the dobermins house....yet there was clouds of smolts....Im gonna put out a number 10 million smolts are in the creeks ATLEAST that many. I saw 2 dead fish today one steelhead in the bottom of a deep hole and one sucker that wasbout  8 inches long. those smolts wont all make it because as soon as they move down into the lake......guess what hungry waleye and muskee and pike and bass and so on....so expect larger fish...maybe not steelhead but others who benifit from the smolts. The thing about the smolts this year compaired to lastyear is there isnt many legal ones so if you see anyone keepin them Im sure the fish commishioners will be there to throw some tickets around(i hope)  I to saved about 15 smolts at  the dob hole.....they were swimmming under the slab  but the only bad thing about smolts being in the river now is give people who dont have anything better to do then complain about something
mrkeith
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 69
RE: Stranded Smolts 2007/04/08 23:56:24 (permalink)
What's with the "doberman" hole? Is there something I should be aware of if I fish this part of the creek? Anybody?????
jlh42581
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1885
RE: Stranded Smolts 2007/04/09 16:51:36 (permalink)
Doberman Hole - Dogs that will eat your face off, for the killing of smolts
kyler16
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2396
RE: Stranded Smolts 2007/04/10 01:59:59 (permalink)
just in that hole strech of his property there has to be 1million smolts plus! its crazy last year at this time the smolts were 12 inches atleast .... right now they are 6inches max!
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
RE: Stranded Smolts 2007/04/10 06:41:51 (permalink)
How long do the smolts stay in the stream before entering the lake ? Do the fish imprint on the stream water or geographic location ? So they know where to return to.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

spoonchucker
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8561
RE: Stranded Smolts 2007/04/10 10:52:50 (permalink)
Bing,

I believe it is dependant largely on water temperature, as well as their stage of developement. Most tend to be out by the end of April-mid May. I fished lower 20 mile yesterday, and didn't see sign of a single smolt.

As for imprinting. From what I have read, and heard, they are not CERTAIN how they imprint. It is suspected that each stream's unique scent plays a big part. However, given that some fish stocked in N.Y. or Ohio run our streams, and vica versa. And that streams that are not stocked at all get noticable to substantial runs, imprinting is far from 100 percent.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
RE: Stranded Smolts 2007/04/10 18:52:32 (permalink)
I wonder if there has ever been any research done on trying to raise smolts in water taken from the stream they will be released into. They could be preprogramed so you could just dump them in the lake and reduce any stream mortality.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to: