Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
that guy
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 25
  • Reward points: 0
2007/09/01 02:15:12 (permalink)

ATT. Fish Commision

I have been putting my jet skis in at Walnut. I have noticed the channel south of the marina is filled in with sand. the small boat launch is basically useless. The channel is about a foot deep where it used to be 4-5 ft deep.
I noticed the dredge boat is parked at walnut, why not dredge that area out?
Now, would be a good time before any steelhead make thier runs as this area use to hold fish also. It is to shallow to launch from or to fish.

Thanks for any replies and I'm not being critical, just making a suggestion.

37 Replies Related Threads

Jive Turkey
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 46
    RE: ATT. Fish Commision 2007/09/01 14:27:29 (permalink)
    thats all silt that builds up since they put that "splash dam" in a few years ago. I see they build another one below it this year which caused even more silt to build up down there.
    Now before all the pittsburgh know it alls come on here defending the dams, explain why the channel never had that problem before the splash dams. the silt has to go somewhere and it not going upstream. as far as them digging it out, dont count on it. they are too busy chasing dog walkers and harrassing boaters who dont have there lights on, even though its still daylight.

and another thing, what is that useless blue string light along the channel? It causes more of a hazard then not having it. I came in the other night and my eyes were adjusted to the dark. when I came into the channel it almost blinded me.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: ATT. Fish Commision 2007/09/01 14:45:35 (permalink)
    First of all, silt builds ABOVE dams not below them. Second, there has ALWAYS been a build up there. And third, while there was a  bar formed about mid-stream, the water coming out of the launch was at least 3-4 feet deep on thursday.

Do you two ever do anything other than cry, and complain?

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    that guy
    New Angler
    RE: ATT. Fish Commision 2007/09/01 23:14:50 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: spoonchucker

First of all, silt builds ABOVE dams not below them. Second, there has ALWAYS been a build up there. And third, while there was a  bar formed about mid-stream, the water coming out of the launch was at least 3-4 feet deep on thursday.

Do you two ever do anything other than cry, and complain?

I never complained. Jive may have but I was just giving a suggestion.

Secondly, I have no idea why you feel you need to respond. The title of the thread was Att. fish commision.
    If I wanted YOU to respond, it would have been titled ATT. Lonely old man without a life except on Fisherie. com.
    I realize this site is more important to you than life itself. Its actually sad and pathetic reading your hourly posts, watching as you reach out for any human contact. I really hate to express my feelings on a public forum.
    In closing, I apoligize to anyone reading this, even you spoon, as you suffer daily just being you.
    kyler16
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2396
    RE: ATT. Fish Commision 2007/09/01 23:23:50 (permalink)
    spoon makes that guy and roasted turkey realize they just inserted there foot in each others pie holes and the only logical response is that guy pulling the "youve got no life" line.

when actually your topic of ATT. fish commission is very funny. because well Im willing besides the few outsiders that have to deal with fish commission have nothing to do with Erie.

If you wanted the fish commisSion to find out about it, try contacting your local office or write THEM an email not a topic on a message board that will get people to correct you.

"If you kill it, eat it. If you eat it, cook it right."
    -Steve Rinella
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: ATT. Fish Commision 2007/09/01 23:27:36 (permalink)
    Please don't waste a moment worrying about my lonely existence. Granted there are times that circumstances leave me stuck at home, and an occasional look at the boards provide me some entertainment. But for the most part, I get plenty of human contact ( more than I would prefer at times ) outside the realm of WWWs. As for your original post, I admit my response was better directed at Jive, rather than you. I apologize, it has been a week of breakdowns, mishaps, and dropped fish.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    that guy
    New Angler
    RE: ATT. Fish Commision 2007/09/01 23:33:57 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: kyler16

spoon makes that guy and roasted turkey realize they just inserted there foot in each others pie holes and the only logical response is that guy pulling the "youve got no life" line.

when actually your topic of ATT. fish commission is very funny. because well Im willing besides the few outsiders that have to deal with fish commission have nothing to do with Erie.

If you wanted the fish commisSion to find out about it, try contacting your local office or write THEM an email not a topic on a message board that will get people to correct you.

Just great, all the morons are responding to this thread.

Kyler, where did I insert my foot?

Jive may be right in the fact that when these dams were dug, silt would be deposited down stream. I noticed them digging a few weeks ago. After that the problem was much worse.
    Kyler stick to the baby and little boy threads on this site.
    You know nothing about Erie or life for that matter.
    I sure hope you never breed because theres enough dumb people already.
    that guy
    New Angler
    RE: ATT. Fish Commision 2007/09/01 23:37:00 (permalink)
    "I apologize"

apology accepted.

I really didn't mean what I said but your comment seemed out of line.
    kyler16
    Pro Angler
    RE: ATT. Fish Commision 2007/09/01 23:40:28 (permalink)
    Well for 1 Im sorry to break the news to ya but Ive got one on the way
    for 2 a "child or baby" or anyone for the matter who doesnt know anything bout erie knows silt happends ABOVE dams and 3rd morons responding to this topic are trying to point out the facts about what you get when you post on a public board. and if you want you fish commisSion to know about a problem you contact them not forums.fishusa.com

and yet again youve inserted your foot into your PIE HOLE or for morons that dont know MOUTH!

-Steve Rinella
    kyler16
    Pro Angler
    RE: ATT. Fish Commision 2007/09/01 23:42:21 (permalink)
    oh and about life... this is what I do while Im tying flies and tryin to get tired. cuz my life is already busy enough which I so called dont have. Moving into a new place, working 3 jobs now thank you very much and yes pointing out the obvious to ingrates like you. 

-Steve Rinella
    that guy
    New Angler
    RE: ATT. Fish Commision 2007/09/01 23:50:52 (permalink)

for 2 a "child or baby" or anyone for the matter who doesnt know anything bout erie knows silt happends ABOVE dams and 3rd morons responding to this topic are trying to point out the facts about what you get when you post on a public board. and if you want you fish commisSion to know about a problem you contact them not forums.fishusa.com

and yet again youve inserted your foot into your PIE HOLE or for morons that dont know MOUTH!

You my boy, are dense as a rock. LOL

I  Will Speak sslooooower for you.
    When   You     Dig     Holes      In    Moving   water,      Where      Would       The      Silt       Go        ?

In kylers world of stupidity, it would go upstream.
    In the real world, it goes downstream.

spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: ATT. Fish Commision 2007/09/02 00:03:38 (permalink)
    That,

I won't say it is impossible that digging for the dams created some silt, but it is highly unlikely. There really would not have been THAT much volumn. A more likely explaination is the low flows, accomponied by some strong north blows. On thursday the upward flow from the waves crashing ended just above that area, as it commonly does. Those upward flows, meeting the natural downstream flow would cause silt to drop at that point. I do know that these build ups have always occured, and even more so during dry summers as most of this one has been.

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
    youngguru
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 681
    RE: ATT. Fish Commision 2007/09/02 00:12:11 (permalink)

duud yu reely forr reel ar dum  ha ha

sPoonsuker tell themm to digg it owt becawse i will bee ther thiss week

lett mee no

ar stel heds ther yett/
    lett mee no

youngguru
    Expert Angler
    RE: ATT. Fish Commision 2007/09/02 00:18:22 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: that guy

I have been putting my jet skis in at Walnut. I have noticed the channel south of the marina is filled in with sand. the small boat launch is basically useless. The channel is about a foot deep where it used to be 4-5 ft deep.
    I noticed the dredge boat is parked at walnut, why not dredge that area out?
    Now, would be a good time before any steelhead make thier runs as this area use to hold fish also. It is to shallow to launch from or to fish.

Thanks for any replies and I'm not being critical, just making a suggestion.

That ****

mee an saBreena wil bee inn ery onn wensdey
    cann wee ryde yur jett skees/

spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: ATT. Fish Commision 2007/09/02 00:23:33 (permalink)
    Guru,

The splash dam has cleaned out the stop sign hole very effectively. You gonna like it. There were Steelies along the wall on thursday, not many and mostly jacks.
    post edited by spoonchucker - 2007/09/02 00:26:04

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
    youngguru
    Expert Angler
    RE: ATT. Fish Commision 2007/09/02 00:27:13 (permalink)
    Ok sownds good duud

i wil haMar the stel ther

wen ar yu goinng bak too ery /
    *commander*
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2647
    RE: ATT. Fish Commision 2007/09/02 23:11:42 (permalink)
    what did they say in the walnut creek PFBC office when you mentioned the problem to them?
    Grendel
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1675
    RE: ATT. Fish Commision 2007/09/02 23:39:27 (permalink)
    CanMan and i stopped to look at that today, and indeed it does look beautiful - should be many happy anglers!

Doc

ORIGINAL: spoonchucker

Guru,

The splash dam has cleaned out the stop sign hole very effectively. You gonna like it. There were Steelies along the wall on thursday, not many and mostly jacks.
    post edited by Grendel - 2007/09/03 17:24:27

The strength of a person isn't measured by the muscle in their arm or how tall they stand, but rather, by the amount of knowledge and area of versatility they can cover. CM ~ 1987

Not a fan of Burgh teams. Get over it...
    Cr Critter
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 69
    RE: ATT. Fish Commision 2007/09/03 08:48:41 (permalink)
    Is Spoon the only one here that knows a perfect steelhead stream project when he sees one??

You guys don't know how lucky ya got it. Not many places that hords of adults can stand in ankle deep water & surround a pod of trapped / spooked fish in  little artifical holes.  It would be nice to see a section of that area desinated for the elderly ,in-experienced kids, & the handicap.  Wishful think-n.

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/anglerboater/2000/janfeb2000/streamds.htm
    walcat01
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 391
    RE: ATT. Fish Commision 2007/09/03 11:17:18 (permalink)
    Here we go! It's another year of putting up with the crybabies,idiots, trolls and just plain stupid bullcrap. No wonder I hate steelhead season. Grow up people.
    mr.fisherman
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 169
    RE: ATT. Fish Commision 2007/09/03 17:05:24 (permalink)
    Not sure what some are looking at. The stop sign hole is completly filled in along with many other holes. I was there over the weekend looking. And for your question that guy, the PFBC should be dredging soon. They always do it in September. Some people complain but if a hurricane hits everything gets filled back in. The stop sign hole is usually taken care of as well as the channel.
    Grendel
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1675
    RE: ATT. Fish Commision 2007/09/03 17:15:50 (permalink)
    The project holes are not being dredged this year.  Nor will they be dredged in the future.  That announcement was made at the August PSA meeting, and it will be placed in the September Newsletter.

Doc
    post edited by Grendel - 2007/09/03 17:16:36

The strength of a person isn't measured by the muscle in their arm or how tall they stand, but rather, by the amount of knowledge and area of versatility they can cover. CM ~ 1987

Not a fan of Burgh teams. Get over it...
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: ATT. Fish Commision 2007/09/03 21:05:48 (permalink)
    Brad,

I am not sure what you are looking at, or if yoy are confusing dam types. The stop sign hole was washed out quite weel on thursday, especially considering the low flow. Splash dams do not create an upstream pool by "daming" the water. They create a downstream pool by directing the flow creating a wash out.

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
    mr.fisherman
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 169
    RE: ATT. Fish Commision 2007/09/03 21:17:52 (permalink)
    I looked at it all. Hiking from the wall to the tressel, only the manchester hole, rt.5 hole ,and conrail tube hole are open. All others are filled in for the most part. Seems like I wasted my time but I know where the steelies won't hold this fall unless severe condition changes happen. You should get out of that boat Mike and hike from time to time. You might spend a few more years with us with exercise.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: ATT. Fish Commision 2007/09/03 21:21:41 (permalink)
    Don't worry Brad. My sneakers, and boots see plenty of miles.

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
    Presquisleanglr
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 185
    RE: ATTN. Fish Commission 2007/09/03 21:30:39 (permalink)
    well now that makes allot of sense don't dredge project waters that anglers money's just paid for ? But every spring there are two track-hoes a couple of tri axle dumps complete with operators moving sand 100 yards from west to east at the north east marina for a month straight. I'm sure the anglers don't mind paying for that? the steel head sure do run that beach. 

Oh let me check walnut creek zoo posting a couple of pages back by now I my self and a couple other east side anglers offered to throw in to address the walnut creek access all that was needed was an angler from that side of town or south of 80 to step up to the pump!  chink chink chink chink  got what you worked for ( silt)
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: ATTN. Fish Commission 2007/09/03 21:33:48 (permalink)
    PIA,

The DCNR will no longer issue the required permits to dredge upstream of the marina.

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
    Presquisleanglr
    Avid Angler
    RE: ATTN. Fish Commission 2007/09/03 21:33:57 (permalink)
    HI spoons haven't chatted with you in a while.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: ATTN. Fish Commission 2007/09/03 21:37:02 (permalink)
    Also, there is a good chance of additional splash dams there, and on other streams. These are proving to be far more consistent, and cost effective than dredging.

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
    Presquisleanglr
    Avid Angler
    RE: ATTN. Fish Commission 2007/09/03 21:39:24 (permalink)
    well now let me check, the dcnr just cut a dredge permit for the new bridge on elk park rd. does that count?
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: