What kind of boat to buy?

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
Storm Warning 2
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 583
  • Reward points: 0
RE: What kind of boat to buy? 2007/08/08 16:37:07 (permalink)
I like and have heard good things about the Cherokees, Sportcrafts (now in production again), and obviously Tiaras.  Dream boat is a 3000 Tiara Open. 
STEALYS4ME
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1443
RE: What kind of boat to buy? 2007/08/08 16:47:24 (permalink)
Crestliner 22 or bigger if i hit the lottery tonight i be up there with a big boy..   Ya right dream onnnnnnn
Carpet Bagger
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1834
RE: What kind of boat to buy? 2007/08/08 16:56:27 (permalink)
Sport-CRAP (aka Craft) are about the worst built boats running on the great lakes....they used to sport that 25 year warrenty but that went down the toilet when they went out of business 3 times screwing everyone...

If you ever go look at one storm warning take an ice pick with you so you can hit the stringers....im sure you will find rot...

Out of your list cherokee is probaly the better of the three.  Tiarra has a wide beam and HEAVY sticker price...Simplicity and quality rules in my book...

www.SteigerCraft.com check em out im sure you will fall in love too.

CB
I never thought I'd say this, but I love my Sport-Craft!
bluntman
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 684
RE: What kind of boat to buy? 2007/08/08 17:11:32 (permalink)
Cherokee has also been bankrupt and got a friend of mine for 20 k plus when the listed him as a creditor for money he  paid them on a future deal, they also have balsa cored bottoms, NEVER buy a boat with a cored bottom, if it gets wet, about all you can do is scuttle it and collect the insurance, Ive been in the boat repair business for 25 years, and if I ever buy new, it would be Carolina Classic hands down, One of if not the best built boat in the 25-28 foot range, and  Mac Privot, the owner takes care of customers like no other owner in the boat building business 
 Cherokees are also not cheap, a new 28 on a trailer goes for over 135 grand
post edited by bluntman - 2007/08/08 17:12:51
Hookin Up
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 118
RE: What kind of boat to buy? 2007/08/08 17:58:24 (permalink)
I am wanting to buy a boat that will treat me right and be decent but not break the bank. I don't want to buy something that is going to be a POS. My "budget boats" would be Baha, Thompson, Penn Yan, and Sportcraft, I guess these would be good choices? If money weren't an issue then I would buy my dream boat, but we all know how that goes. More importantly I need something with a cuddy and room for the wife and kids. I appreciate all your responses so far and everybody's knowledge. It has definitely opened my eyes to some issues that might have been over looked.  
bluntman
Expert Angler
RE: What kind of boat to buy? 2007/08/08 19:04:45 (permalink)
CB listed Penn Yan in with all the chopper gun boats, just wanted to say, all the Penn Yans Ive ever worked on were hand laid and **** thick too. They  did have wood in stringers, bulkheads and transoms, But all the stringers were douglas fir which is pretty rot resistant, but they still rot if limber holes arent properly sealed and transoms go bad if penetrations arent properly sealed, A bad stringer isnt the end of the world if the rest of the boat is nice. Ive put more stringers in Sportcrafts than any other boat due to the stringers being  cheap white wood, A Sportcraft is still a good boat for the money if the wood is sound.When replacing all the stringers and the transom in a single IB boat I get around 7-8 grand. As for finish work and quality components, many of the older Penn Yans were way above the other " affordable boats ". Mine still has the original seats and teak trim and its flawless, definitely not Bayliner or Trophy garbage components. All the underwater hardware is bronze, every fastener is stainless or bronze, go look at a well kept one and make your own decision, A recent insurance survey on my 23 year old 26 Penn Yan put its market value at $34800 and its replacement value at over 100 k, This is based on construction, work and component quality, Id never expet to get 34 grand for my boat, but all the surveyors Ive talked to seem to think they were a better than average boat, but they were priced a bit higher too. The best advice you can get is to get a survey if you not familiar with boat construction and propulsion, it will be the best money you will spend
post edited by bluntman - 2007/08/08 19:46:22
bluntman
Expert Angler
RE: What kind of boat to buy? 2007/08/08 19:32:06 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Hookin Up

I am wanting to buy a boat that will treat me right and be decent but not break the bank. I don't want to buy something that is going to be a POS. My "budget boats" would be Baha, Thompson, Penn Yan, and Sportcraft, I guess these would be good choices? If money weren't an issue then I would buy my dream boat, but we all know how that goes. More importantly I need something with a cuddy and room for the wife and kids. I appreciate all your responses so far and everybody's knowledge. It has definitely opened my eyes to some issues that might have been over looked.  

Just wanted to add a straight inboard is more reliable and FAR less expensive to repair, its a bit more challenging to dock and trailer , but its easy once you learn the traits of a particular boat, also a conventional IB is the best riding and handling boat design, no big ugly outdrive hanging off the back, and when you go to get on plane it doesnt dig a hole in the water, the whole thing just rises to plane without pointing the bow to the sky
Big Fathead
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 915
RE: What kind of boat to buy? 2007/08/08 21:28:34 (permalink)
Twin Inboards= Best boat money can buy! Just my opinion!
post edited by Big Fathead - 2007/08/08 21:51:22
bluntman
Expert Angler
RE: What kind of boat to buy? 2007/08/08 21:42:07 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Big Fathead

Twin Inboards= Best baot money can buy! Just my opinion!

I totally agree, I just cant afford to feed twins, an average day now costs me about $150 for fuel
Big Fathead
Expert Angler
RE: What kind of boat to buy? 2007/08/08 22:01:12 (permalink)
Don'tkid yourseld on not being able to feed twins. I owned a 26' hardtop with twin 4.3 mercruisers. I only used 15-18 gallons a day running and trolling all day. You don't push the rpms you have to with a single engine. You can prop theem higher because you have 2 engines, you can run faster at lower rpm's. My buddy Charters in Port Clinton he has a 34 King Cat twin 454 EFI engines and burns less than his old 20 Baja with twin 5.0 engines. If you can find a boat with twin engines whether it's I/O or Inboard you would never want a single engine again. If you look hard enough and are not in a hurry you will be amazed at the deals out there. Buy a boat in January or February off a private owner you won't believe how fast people forget the true value of a boat in dead winter. It's a little rough tracking through snow looking at them but it pays off BIGTIME. I won't disclose what I've bought and sold and for what prices but I will say if you are wise when you shop you can double or triple your money on a boat if you resale. I'm not in the boat business I paint for a living but have bought boats used them for 1 year up to 3 years and profited everytime I've sold them! BUY SMART and you don't have to spend alot of money to get a nice great lakes boat.
Carpet Bagger
Pro Angler
RE: What kind of boat to buy? 2007/08/08 23:21:49 (permalink)
yea you would be suprised that running twins is in most cases very similar to your single screw.  You dont have to be as heavy on the throttles with twins...

Outboards still have the market beat as far as fuel economy goes....

CB
Brad1
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 338
RE: What kind of boat to buy? 2007/08/09 12:32:32 (permalink)
Carpet Bagger,

What dealership are you talking with about Stiegers ?

Brad
Carpet Bagger
Pro Angler
RE: What kind of boat to buy? 2007/08/09 12:36:55 (permalink)
Their headuarters in NY i went directly to the source....

post edited by Carpet Bagger - 2007/08/09 12:56:25

CB
Brad1
Expert Angler
RE: What kind of boat to buy? 2007/08/09 14:19:49 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Carpet Bagger

Sport-CRAP (aka Craft) are about the worst built boats running on the great lakes....they used to sport that 25 year warrenty but that went down the toilet when they went out of business 3 times screwing everyone...

If you ever go look at one storm warning take an ice pick with you so you can hit the stringers....im sure you will find rot...

Out of your list cherokee is probaly the better of the three.  Tiarra has a wide beam and HEAVY sticker price...Simplicity and quality rules in my book...

www.SteigerCraft.com check em out im sure you will fall in love too.

Carpet Bagger, your not the only one I've heard say that about Sport Craft. Chris Brockway (retired owner of Erie Angler) has told me the same thing.

I have found that with boats, it's not about how long (duration) the warranty is, but more importantly, how well the boat is made and how well the company stands behind their warranty.

And darn you Carpet Bagger, now you've got me looking at the Steiger website and drooling. They are a beautiful boat. Have you ever seen the Department of Conservation Parker pilot house patrolling the PA Erie waters? That's a gorgeous boat too. But I have heard that Parker has a step (can't remember if it's step up, or step down) from the drivers area, the open fishing area of the cockpit. I know I'd find myself tripping / falling if I had that configuration.

Pursuit is a brand that has a good reputation and makes a nice looking boat (at least IMO). I've never been on one though.

And be careful of getting caught up in the "woodfree" thing. I allowed that to happen to me. One of the reasons I sold my 1994 Proline was because I wanted to get rid of it before the stringers and transom rotted. Then I bought a woodfree boat. Turned out there was a defect in the transom of the woodfree boat and it had water in it. My brother experienced the same thing with his woodfree Scout. Between he and I, we have owned close to 20 boats. Only two of which were woodfree. And both of those had voids in the transom with water trapped in them. I suspect that some manufactorers that switched to woodfree have allowed themselves to get a little sloppy with the thought that there's no wood to rot should they not thoroughly encapsulate the coring. Problem is, when you live in the North, the water freezes and can lead to delamination. Some of the highest quality boats on the market today are still using wood in their construction.
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4012
RE: What kind of boat to buy? 2007/08/09 14:45:11 (permalink)

Don'tkid yourseld on not being able to feed twins. I owned a 26' hardtop with twin 4.3 mercruisers. I only used 15-18 gallons a day running and trolling all day. You don't push the rpms you have to with a single engine. You can prop theem higher because you have 2 engines, you can run faster at lower rpm's. My buddy Charters in Port Clinton he has a 34 King Cat twin 454 EFI engines and burns less than his old 20 Baja with twin 5.0 engines. If you can find a boat with twin engines whether it's I/O or Inboard you would never want a single engine again. If you look hard enough and are not in a hurry you will be amazed at the deals out there. Buy a boat in January or February off a private owner you won't believe how fast people forget the true value of a boat in dead winter. It's a little rough tracking through snow looking at them but it pays off BIGTIME. I won't disclose what I've bought and sold and for what prices but I will say if you are wise when you shop you can double or triple your money on a boat if you resale. I'm not in the boat business I paint for a living but have bought boats used them for 1 year up to 3 years and profited everytime I've sold them! BUY SMART and you don't have to spend alot of money to get a nice great lakes boat.

Yeah, you probably got $1500 to $2000 on the last deal you did, maybe even a little more. 
Storm Warning 2
Expert Angler
RE: What kind of boat to buy? 2007/08/09 14:53:55 (permalink)
Pursuits are nice boats, made by TIARA.  Get on the VisionQuest IV, its an outstanding boat!  Huge cockpit.  As for the Sportcraft issues, have no knowledge of them.  I just know I see a LOT of them swimming around Lake Erie and I like the layout.  Steigers just look a little too boxy for me, I like smooth lines.

Hookin Up
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 118
RE: What kind of boat to buy? 2007/08/09 16:16:03 (permalink)
 I can't say that I have heard anything bad about Sportcraft either. Go to the Western Basin, they are very popular over there. It also seems like I have been seeing more of them on the east side. Not saying that they don't have problems but like I said in an early post I am sure all boats have problems if you look hard enough. I do like the way Vision Quest IV looks but I bet it has one H#ll of a price tag.
Luke 9:23
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 283
RE: What kind of boat to buy? 2007/08/09 16:33:07 (permalink)
The best boat is the deal that keep you and your wife happy and smiling-she doesn't appreciate the price of our toys like I do-especially when she think she should be able to spend the same amount you spent on something she wants like diamonds.  Every time she found a new gun she figured I owed her that much. I would be broke if she ever followed through!

Luke 9:23
Carpet Bagger
Pro Angler
RE: What kind of boat to buy? 2007/08/10 09:38:17 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Hookin Up

I can't say that I have heard anything bad about Sportcraft either. Go to the Western Basin, they are very popular over there. It also seems like I have been seeing more of them on the east side. Not saying that they don't have problems but like I said in an early post I am sure all boats have problems if you look hard enough. I do like the way Vision Quest IV looks but I bet it has one H#ll of a price tag.

Only reason is they have a dealership in the westen basin. Happy days boating is the largest sportcraft and baha dealer in the US and is in Port Clinton, OH.  That is why you see so many...

Brad1.  Arent the steigers nice (take a look at the 26 WOW).  As far as the NO WOOD thing goes.  Steiger uses no wood in the floor (1.75" thick like standing on concrete), stringers, and construction...HOWEVER the transom is still wood encapsulated.  The no wood in the transom is ok if you are south of the mason dixon...You get any water in a no wood transom and face a nasty winter like we see on occasion and you are going to see some problems.  They build em right.

CB
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
RE: What kind of boat to buy? 2007/08/13 11:09:43 (permalink)
Here is what you want...at least this is what I would buy if I had the $ right now.
1988 Tiara 2700 Open

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/4/4/82781544.htm
Big Fathead
Expert Angler
RE: What kind of boat to buy? 2007/08/13 23:40:30 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: eyesandgillz

Yeah, you probably got $1500 to $2000 on the last deal you did, maybe even a little more. 

Wouldn't you love to know what I made! You wanted my boat for nothing. Sold to the 2nd. person that looked at it for $9500.00 and the first guy was pee'd off I didnt hold it for him without a deposit. Imagine that you offered me $5000.00 BECAUSE IT HAD NO VALUE AS YOU STATED! Unbelievable I should have ask 11000 or 12000. Later dude!
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
RE: What kind of boat to buy? 2007/08/14 14:05:20 (permalink)
I don't think I stated it "had no value."  I think I said you had it priced high.  Sorry you seemed so offended by my offer.  I know the ballpark of what you made and good for you.  I guess you are the master of the lowball!  I shall bow down to you and show my reverence and offer you sacrifices on the fifth of each month of the blue moon to show my appreciation....  just kidding. 
Trap Jaw
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 233
RE: What kind of boat to buy? 2007/08/14 20:24:04 (permalink)
Does everyone on this site have multiple money trees growing in their back yard?  Or is this just the thread for the well to do mup-ers.

I bought a 16' fiberglass 8 years ago and it was the best move I ever made.  And before you jump on my back, I downgraded from a 20' Four Winds.  Now that was a well made piece of crap.  The boat was just fine, well built and rode nice, but the thing was underpowered with just a 4 cylider motor.  The thing, literaly, couldn't get out of it's own way with more then 2 people in it.  Someone else said it earlier, you just have to look for the boat that fits your standards.  Think about it, it's only been in the last 20-30 years that boats have been lasting "forever".  I bought my boat knowing that the floor was iffy and found out later so was the transom.  Transom's done the floor will be in the next few years.  If you look at a boat over 10 years old you need to look for problems.  For my two cents.  As far as used, which is all I'll ever be able to afford, Chris Crafts are a great lake boat.  I have heard people say they rot like crazy.  I know two people that have mid 80's Chris' and niether have any problems.  They are a tank on the water and the hulls are made to take a beating.  The only problem is that any Chris you find is going to be like 20 years old.  Ok, now you can go ahead and lambaste me.
Big Fathead
Expert Angler
RE: What kind of boat to buy? 2007/08/14 22:29:10 (permalink)
NOPE THIS YINZER HAS NEVER SPENT A PILE OF MONEY ON A BOAT! MY NEW BOAT ON A TRAILER WAS $2500.00 24' HARDTOP THOMPSON AND DID I FORGET TO MENTION IT'S ON A 2000 TENDEM TRAILER WITH ELECTRIC BRAKES!

YOU DONT HAVE TO BOW TO ME EYES BUT IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO THATS OKAY.

I DIDN'T GET OFFENDED BY YOUR OFFER IT DIDN'T MATTER I KNEW THE BOAT WOULD SELL REALLY FAST. I DIDN'T EXPECT TO SELL IT IN 3 DAYS THOUGH. I WOULD HAVE SOLD IT IN 1 DAY IF IT WAS CLEAN AND IN ERIE WHEN THE GUY WHO BOUGHT IT CALLED ME ON THE DAY IT WAS LISTED. CHECK OUT THE PICTURES ON WALLEYE.COM THE BOAT WAS BEAUTIFUL CLEANED UP. I REALLY DIDN'T BUY THE BOAT TO RESELL IT BUT RAN ACROSS THIS HARD TOP FOR NEXT TO NOTHING. I HAVE 5 BOATS TOTAL AND DIDN'T NEED 6. IN ALL SERIOUSNESS MAYBE WE COULD FISH SOMETIME OUT OF WALNUT TOGETHER. I'M NOT SURE IF YOU REALIZED I CAN BE A LITTLE SARCASTIC AT TIMES BUT IT'S ALL FOR FUN. I'M FREINDS WITH CHAD THAT I BOUGHT THE INVADER BACK FROM AND ACTUALLY TOLD HIM I WAS RESELLING THE BOAT CAUSE I DIDN'T WANT NO HARD FEELINGS.

ABOUT WHAT BOAT TO BUY AGAIN: WHATEVER YOU LOOK AT TAP AROUNG THE HULL WITH A SOLID OBJECT AND LISTEN FOR ANY HOLLOW AREAS INCLUDE THE HULL, TRANSOM, STRINGERS, FLOOR(ESPECIALLY IN THE REAR), AND ANY OTHER AREAS THAT MAY OR COULD BE ROTTEN. CHECK THE OIL BEFORE YOU RUN THE BOAT AND AFTER YOU RUN THE BOAT TO SEE IF THE OIL IS MILKY OR HAS CHANGED OIL LEVELS (MORE IS BAD), MOVE THE OUTDRIVE LEFT TO RIGHT TO CHECK FOR EXCESSIVE PLAY(WATCH THE STEERING WHEEL AS YOU DO THIS), MOVE THE PROP IN AND OUT TO CHECK FOR EXCESSIVE PLAY(YOU SHOULD HAVE SOME IN AND OUT MOVEMENT MAYBE AN 1/8" OR SO), WATCH THE OIL PRESSURE GAUGE AND TEMPETURE GAUGE ( OIL SHOULD NOT LOSE PRESSURE UNDER MORE POWER). IF ANYTHING SEEMS OUT OF PLACE OR QUESTIONABLE GET A PROFESSIONAL TO LOOK AT IT THEY CAN GET EXPENSIVE REAL QUICK TO REPAIR. I WOULD NOT BUY A BOAT USED IN SALTWATER PERIOD!!!!!!!!
post edited by Big Fathead - 2007/08/14 22:31:13
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
RE: What kind of boat to buy? 2007/08/15 11:24:44 (permalink)

NOPE THIS YINZER HAS NEVER SPENT A PILE OF MONEY ON A BOAT! MY NEW BOAT ON A TRAILER WAS $2500.00 24' HARDTOP THOMPSON AND DID I FORGET TO MENTION IT'S ON A 2000 TENDEM TRAILER WITH ELECTRIC BRAKES!

YOU DONT HAVE TO BOW TO ME EYES BUT IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO THATS OKAY.

I DIDN'T GET OFFENDED BY YOUR OFFER IT DIDN'T MATTER I KNEW THE BOAT WOULD SELL REALLY FAST. I DIDN'T EXPECT TO SELL IT IN 3 DAYS THOUGH. I WOULD HAVE SOLD IT IN 1 DAY IF IT WAS CLEAN AND IN ERIE WHEN THE GUY WHO BOUGHT IT CALLED ME ON THE DAY IT WAS LISTED. CHECK OUT THE PICTURES ON WALLEYE.COM THE BOAT WAS BEAUTIFUL CLEANED UP. I REALLY DIDN'T BUY THE BOAT TO RESELL IT BUT RAN ACROSS THIS HARD TOP FOR NEXT TO NOTHING. I HAVE 5 BOATS TOTAL AND DIDN'T NEED 6. IN ALL SERIOUSNESS MAYBE WE COULD FISH SOMETIME OUT OF WALNUT TOGETHER. I'M NOT SURE IF YOU REALIZED I CAN BE A LITTLE SARCASTIC AT TIMES BUT IT'S ALL FOR FUN. I'M FREINDS WITH CHAD THAT I BOUGHT THE INVADER BACK FROM AND ACTUALLY TOLD HIM I WAS RESELLING THE BOAT CAUSE I DIDN'T WANT NO HARD FEELINGS.

ABOUT WHAT BOAT TO BUY AGAIN: WHATEVER YOU LOOK AT TAP AROUNG THE HULL WITH A SOLID OBJECT AND LISTEN FOR ANY HOLLOW AREAS INCLUDE THE HULL, TRANSOM, STRINGERS, FLOOR(ESPECIALLY IN THE REAR), AND ANY OTHER AREAS THAT MAY OR COULD BE ROTTEN. CHECK THE OIL BEFORE YOU RUN THE BOAT AND AFTER YOU RUN THE BOAT TO SEE IF THE OIL IS MILKY OR HAS CHANGED OIL LEVELS (MORE IS BAD), MOVE THE OUTDRIVE LEFT TO RIGHT TO CHECK FOR EXCESSIVE PLAY(WATCH THE STEERING WHEEL AS YOU DO THIS), MOVE THE PROP IN AND OUT TO CHECK FOR EXCESSIVE PLAY(YOU SHOULD HAVE SOME IN AND OUT MOVEMENT MAYBE AN 1/8" OR SO), WATCH THE OIL PRESSURE GAUGE AND TEMPETURE GAUGE ( OIL SHOULD NOT LOSE PRESSURE UNDER MORE POWER). IF ANYTHING SEEMS OUT OF PLACE OR QUESTIONABLE GET A PROFESSIONAL TO LOOK AT IT THEY CAN GET EXPENSIVE REAL QUICK TO REPAIR. I WOULD NOT BUY A BOAT USED IN SALTWATER PERIOD!!!!!!!!

From the other thread I posted on, I do this for fun too.  I don't try to cause hard feelings or ruffle feathers purposely, just having fun (and sarcastic and smart arze at times too). 

Anyways, to stay on topic, can the moisture meters that home inspectors use on wood framing in houses read through fiberglass to measure moisture levels in the the wrapped wood?  Always wondered that.  Would be a good, non destructive way to tell if the wood is soaked or rotten (well, I guess it could be rotten and dried out if under cover).  Also, get the cylinders compression tested.  If they aren't you can avoid a lot of major motor work by not buying that boat/motor combo.

Storm Warning 2
Expert Angler
RE: What kind of boat to buy? 2007/08/15 13:42:07 (permalink)

Here is what you want...at least this is what I would buy if I had the $ right now.
1988 Tiara 2700 Open

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/4/4/82781544.htm

OOOH LA LA!!!!!!
pghmarty
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5951
RE: What kind of boat to buy? 2007/08/15 13:54:26 (permalink)

Anyways, to stay on topic, can the moisture meters that home inspectors use on wood framing in houses read through fiberglass to measure moisture levels in the the wrapped wood?  Always wondered that.  Would be a good, non destructive way to tell if the wood is soaked or rotten (well, I guess it could be rotten and dried out if under cover).  Also, get the cylinders compression tested.  If they aren't you can avoid a lot of major motor work by not buying that boat/motor combo.

How Does A Moisture Meter Work? There are two types of moisture meters typically used by the home inspector:

Wont Work through fiberglass
Pin-type meters, which utilize the principle of electrical resistance, use wood or other hygroscopic materials as an element in a circuit by driving two pins or electrodes into it.

Should work-More expensive
Pinless meters use radio frequency signals to penetrate the material being tested. There is no pin intrusion into the surface of the material you are checking.
post edited by pghmarty - 2007/08/15 13:56:24
Big Fathead
Expert Angler
RE: What kind of boat to buy? 2007/08/16 02:15:08 (permalink)
You could always get the rig weighed if you were suspicious of moisture. It would have to have a real high moisture conent. If you are spending alot of money get a Marine Survey of the boat. If you buy it cheap enough you could have some repairs done
Brad1
Expert Angler
RE: What kind of boat to buy? 2007/08/16 08:00:23 (permalink)
Marine surveyors use moisture meters to check for water intrusion. They also use a small metal hammer to lightly tap on cored structures to check for solid or hollow sound. A hollow sound indicates one of two things. There is either no coring, or, there is a void between the core and the layer of laminate. Either situation in a cored structure is not a good thing.

On an I/O powered boat, look at the outside of the transom below the outdrive, and above the drain plug. If you see small crescent shaped stress cracks, that's an indicator that the transom core is rotted away. On an outboard powered boat, stand on the cavitation plate of the motor and lightly bounce on it. If the transom flexes, that's an indication of a rotted transom core.
Carpet Bagger
Pro Angler
RE: What kind of boat to buy? 2007/08/16 09:04:16 (permalink)
Marine survey's from what i have seen are a joke.  Friend of mine bought a boat in NY and the dealer recomended a surveyor to him...Lets just say he missed a few things...including size of the gas tank, missing bow cleats, a cut gps wire, and never water tested the boat as he specified....The boat was an 03 so rott wasnt excatly an issue.....

He did all that for $350....

CB
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to: