Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
Hookin Up
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 118
  • Reward points: 0
2007/08/02 17:03:24 (permalink)

What kind of boat to buy?

I am looking at buying a boat to replace the one I have. I was wanting some opinions from you guys. I was looking for something in the 21-25 foot range preferably with a hard top. Should I buy alum. or fiberglass? What size motor? I don't what something that is under powered. Also what brands, ie Bayliner, Sportcraft, Baha, Starcraft, etc. I will be mostly fishing Erie and maybe Ontario.

66 Replies Related Threads

bluntman
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 684
    RE: What kind of boat to buy? 2007/08/02 17:07:00 (permalink)
    A friend of mine has a 23 Penn Yan with all the goodies, ready to fish, if interested PM me, hes asking $8500 with all the equipment, but thats negotiable, dependant upon what you want
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: What kind of boat to buy? 2007/08/02 17:12:13 (permalink)
    Hooking,

One of the advantages of  hard top, is that you can run harder in heavier chop, without getting soaked. A glass boat will give you a more comortable ride in these conditions. Aluminum will give better fuel economy, both towing, and running. No one can really tell you which is better for YOU. Everyone has their own preference.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Hookin Up
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 118
    RE: What kind of boat to buy? 2007/08/02 17:28:34 (permalink)
    I would like fiberglass, just trying to see some of the benefits of aluminum. Also would like some input about different brands pros and cons. 
    post edited by Hookin Up - 2007/08/02 18:29:41
    bluntman
    Expert Angler
    RE: What kind of boat to buy? 2007/08/02 18:28:55 (permalink)
    Ive spent 30 years on Erie and Ontario, and the ONLY benefit of aluminum is they tow easier, I dont give a rats****what others say, unless you buy a commercial type welded plate hull, aluminum sucks on big water
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: What kind of boat to buy? 2007/08/02 20:00:33 (permalink)
    Luke 9:23
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 283
    RE: What kind of boat to buy? 2007/08/02 22:21:32 (permalink)
    Trophy is a good boat. 

Luke 9:23
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    RE: What kind of boat to buy? 2007/08/03 11:22:25 (permalink)
    Personally, I like heavy fiberglass for the ride compared to aluminum.  If you are going to dock it or keep it on a trailer in a lot close to the launch, then towing shouldn't be a major issue.  I also like hard tops for the protection from the elements.  Try to get a hard top that is high enough to stand under.  Make sure they have side windows and hopefully smaller windows under the main windshield than can open up for ventilation on those hot, still August days.  Get as wide a beam as you can find.  Even though not legal, you can most likely get away with towing a 9' or 9'-6" beam boat and not get hassled by the cops without a permit.  If you are looking for something in the 23'-25' range, a 5.0 liter engine would be on the low end but a good choice for low trolling speeds (without plates or bags) and fuel economy.  You won't break any speed records but how often can you run WOT on the lake anyway.  A 5.7 liter is a decent all around engine for an I/O on this size boat but you may not be able to troll down to slow speeds under 2.0 mph without the help of a plate or trolling bags.  That all depends on the specific boat.  A little cabin is nice for storage, a nap and a porta potty.

I'd like a 23' or 25' Baha Cruisers with an 8'-6" or 9'+ beam personally.  Our old boat was a 1972 25' Skiff Craft wooden hard top with a 307 Chevy.  We could cruise in the upper 20's, low 30's depending on the load, could troll two full days on one tank (tank was only 36 gallons) and it sliced through the Erie chop.  Only drawbacks are wood boat maintenance sucks and that is why the boat is currently in disrepair and the hard top was a low profile one but other than, I miss it a lot.  Another nice style would be a walkaround cuddy with a hard top and spray curtains.  If you really want some class, get a 26' Tiara but even for an old one, you will pay out the nose.
    Brad1
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 338
    RE: What kind of boat to buy? 2007/08/03 12:29:22 (permalink)
    You want a hull that rides soft in rough conditions. Typically, the sharper the deadrise angle, the better a hull rides in rough water. If I were shopping for another Erie boat, I would settle for nothing less than 20 degree deadrise. Wide beams are nice, but a wide beam can also negatively affect rough water ride too. Heavier hulls are supposed to help too.

In a nutshell, I would go with a heavy deep V glass boat.

If your considering buying new, be careful buying long distance. I bought a new boat a few years ago from a dealership 500 miles away. I got an incredible deal, but I ran into a major warranty issue. I can't talk about it due to confidentiality agreement, but suffice it to say, it can be a real pain buying long distance and I would never do it again.

Two boats ago, I owned a Proline. It was a '94 22 ft cabin model. It held up well, but it's ride was not too great. It would pound in the rough stuff. I believe Proline has made some steps in the right direction as far as ride is concerned though. I would definately consider another one. I have a 2003 Grady White 226 now. It's powered by a Yamaha F225. I love the boat. It rides significantly better than my Proline did. And the F225 is a troller's dream. What's odd about this boat is that even though it only has an 8 ft beam, it feels alot roomier than the Proline did with it's 8.5 ft beam. The Grady has alot smaller cuddy though. Don't expect to have a large cuddy and alot of fishing room in a boat under 25 ft. Just can't do it. Pick what matters most to you, and make that your priority. For me, it was fishing room. Gotta have a cuddy though for when the wife or kids want to take a nap.

I have heard good things about the Key West brand of boats. I believe Conneaut Lake Navigation sells them and so does another dealership in Erie. The Boston Whaler 23 ft Conquest is a very nice boat.

I would also recommend a closed bow on Erie. When the you know what hits the fan, you don't want waves breaking over your bow and entering the cockpit of your boat. Which brings up another important feature to get. Self bailing liner.

Basically, any boat that does well in the Saltwater offshore environment, makes for a good Erie boat.
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1834
    RE: What kind of boat to buy? 2007/08/03 12:57:04 (permalink)
    Penn Yan, Baha Cruisers, Trophy, Thompson, Sport-Craft....lots of em seen on the water...cause they are all basically a budget boat and pretty much Junk from production....In fact many of these companies (with the exception to Baha) have gone out of business multiple times....They may look nice, but once you get past the gel coat theres not much there....All chop gunned fiberglass, mass produced, with poorly encapsulated wood stringer grids.  Made as cheaply as possible to keep the price down...

If you look at any other quality boat in the 21-25' class you will notice a significant difference in price...This is the difference between a well engineered hull with hand laid fiberglass and quality components vs budget boat construction...

Now, I dont have much room to talk owning a trophy, and in fact the boat has served me well over the past 8 years, however its construction is satisfactory at best...Cheap construction with Cheap components...in my opinion it is far better to search for a used quality boat, than to look at a cheap new boat.....if you want new, bite the bullet and spend the extra cash and get a boat that is going to serve you well for many many years with no structural problems...Basically what i am saying is in marine construction the price of the vessel speaks for its quality...

The problem 90% of the time with a boat is the owner.  The guys who always say the best day is when you buy and sell a boat are the ones who do nothing....An oil filter wrench confuses them....and after running their boat for 10 years and finally blowing a water pump wonder why.

Maintaining a boat is fairly critical to the life you are going to get not only out of the engine, but the hull itsself.  Little things like changing water pump impellers, replacing oil in the motor and drive, spark plugs, or putting a quick coat of wax on your boat not only keep it looking and running good, but prolong its life.

Here is a list of my current Favorites (search em out on yahoo)
    Steiger Craft
    Parker Boats
    Judge Yachts
    Albemarle
    MayCraft

Steiger Craft is my number one at this moment...No frills, NO BS, built like a tank, lifetime hull warrenty, and you can call their company and talk to those who build their boats.  Friend of mine has an 2003 23 Miami with a green hull (you may have seen it at walnut) very very very impressive boat. 

ALSO:
    In response to martys post about bayliner/trophy (both built by Brunswick) the early 80s trophy boats were the ones who had the problems with bad stringers and transoms.  Since then Brunswick has bought bayliner (they also own such brands as albemarle, boston whaler, lund, ect)  Trophy is now a seperate boat company and is no way affiliated with Bayliner (aside from being owned by the same large corporation) Trophy boats have come a LONG LONG way since that time. They now build with quality and brass and stainless components.  MUCH MUCH different boat than the ones from the early 80s...I would own a Trophy over a Sport-Craft anyday of the week.
    post edited by Carpet Bagger - 2007/08/03 13:18:26

CB
    I never thought I'd say this, but I love my Sport-Craft!
    CUZZZZZZZZZZ
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 25
    RE: What kind of boat to buy? 2007/08/03 13:11:43 (permalink)
    what about Lunds? I love mine.
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    RE: What kind of boat to buy? 2007/08/03 14:09:05 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: CUZZZZZZZZZZ

what about Lunds? I love mine.

I think Hookin' up is looking for a semi-serious offshore boat, not a multi-purpose boat.  Not taking anything away from Lund, they are quality built boats, but for a serious offshore boat, you either want an enclosed bow or a C.C./Walk Around with a self bailing cockpit that has scuppers the size of bathtubs!  :-)  When you take a few waves over the bow and on Erie it is not a question of if, but when, you want the most protection you can get from swamping and no matter how big or how many bilge pumps you got, they aren't going to keep with 3 big sisters crashing over your bow.  It doesn't mean that you can't fish Erie in a 16' or bigger open bow boat, it just means you need to pick and choose your days more carefully (ice cream conditions).  Me, if I had a boat again for Erie and Ontario specifically, I would want one that can handle 2-4's and 3-5's, occassionally 4-6's no problem so I don't have to turn around when I get to the launch and see the weather is less than ideal.
    bluntman
    Expert Angler
    RE: What kind of boat to buy? 2007/08/03 16:55:35 (permalink)
    If you really want an aluminum boat and not a recycled riveted pop can, check these out

http://www.blacklabmarine.com/
    post edited by bluntman - 2007/08/03 16:56:29
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: What kind of boat to buy? 2007/08/03 18:15:09 (permalink)
    No mention of Boston Whaler or Grady Whites?  My favorite being a Grady...I'll own one some day.  But without question two among the best.

For now, I like my Trophy!

Brad1
    Expert Angler
    RE: What kind of boat to buy? 2007/08/06 07:47:58 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ShutUpNFish

No mention of Boston Whaler or Grady Whites? 

I mentioned both of those in my reply.

I'd consider either one, but understand that the newer Grady's ride has been improved over the pre-early 90's Gradys.  

Big Fathead
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: What kind of boat to buy? 2007/08/06 16:47:57 (permalink)
    Well I've owned and driven alot of boats and my choice would be a hardtop to start with. I like the Thompson 240's if your looking for an older boat. If you have the $$$$ to spend I would say a nice Baha 25' or Sportcraft would be a great choice for the great lakes! Watch the width of the beam your only allowed to tow 8'6" (102") beam in PA and most other states. If you could find a boat with twin screws that would be the cats *** of boats to buy. You cant beat the way twins handle the rough seas and top out on flat water. If you get a 25' boat I/O 200 H.P. or better is plenty for 6 men, tackle, equipment to plane easily and run around 30-33 mph top end. As for engine size it really doesn't make a difference on trolling RPM's are the same weather you have 100 HP or 600 HP. The difference would be what pitch prop and what type prop you run for trolling. I prefer to use a bag out each side while trolling it seems to work better and I can troll at 1.2 and up. You should just look at a good name boat I would stay away from the Bayliner line. Find the boat that fits you and check for rot if you buy glass. Doesn't matter how new the boat is if it has wood between the glass check it. There are 2 Aluminum boats that are excellent Lund Genmar 24 Hardtop and Crestliner Sabre 24 Hardtop or no hardtop. I prefer the all welded out of the two which would be the Crestliner. As far as glass being better than aluminum I DONT THINK SO! I have always owned glass boats and like the way they look BUT that Crestliner Sabre 240 G/L is a **** nice boat that rides smooth in rough water and with a 4.3 V-6 runs about 33 mph with 4 big guys in it with all equipment. No problem planing neither! I fished Saturday morning left Walnut at 5:30 am in my Thompson Hardtop and stayed dry with a fair ride 6 miles out in 4-6 foot waves YOU CANT BEAT A HARDTOP! Good luck hope you find a great deal on a great boat. Good Fishin!
    post edited by Big Fathead - 2007/08/06 16:50:23
    Storm Warning 2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 583
    RE: What kind of boat to buy? 2007/08/06 18:37:42 (permalink)
    We fish out of a Starcraft Holiday 23'er.  Its great for fuel economy and towing, but boy, it'll knock your teeth out running in anything over a two feet or so.  Its "loads" of fun to quarter into 2 to 4s when trolling too.  The bow goes all over the place. 
    bluntman
    Expert Angler
    RE: What kind of boat to buy? 2007/08/06 19:21:18 (permalink)
    Look at any aluminum boat that has spent a few years on Erie, the hull will definitely show a beating on the bow section, ever wonder why there a **** few aluminum charter boats, because they SUCK, That being said, if you need to tow,aluminum does offer a definite benefit, you just dont get the ride of a glass boat, but you dont need a 1 ton truck to tow it either, my boat weighs about 7000 lbs and weight definitely improves handling and ride quality, but on a typical day Ill burn $125- $175 in gas. The 1 thing you will find out is there is no such thing as a perfect boat, just get the one that fits most of your needs, and change the things you dont like over time
    post edited by bluntman - 2007/08/06 19:22:07
    Brad1
    Expert Angler
    RE: What kind of boat to buy? 2007/08/07 08:23:04 (permalink)
    Bluntman mention blacklabmarine (aka. Pacific Boats). They have a very strong reputation for customer satisfaction. I spend alot of time (too much time actually) on thehulltruth.com. The folks on that site that own boats purchased from blacklabmarine rave about their boats. The owner (Jay Perrotta) even offered to help me with a warranty issue I had with a boat of another brand. He knew somebody that worked at that company and made contact with that individual. I would've purchased a boat from blacklabmarine myself, they just didn't make the interior / cabin / cockpit config that I was interested in (I wanted a walkaround). One more thing, I believe black lab / Pacific boats have level upright floation. That is, if they swamp, they stay upright. That's one heck of a safety feature.

One more thing about Grady White's, if your looking at an older one, check the transom. The ones from the 80s are notorious for transom rot. As of '98, they switched to a wood product that has a lifetime warranty against rot. For Whalers, check for saturated foam and wiring issues. It's always a good idea to get a used boat surveyed.

I agree with a previous post that said it is better to buy a quality used boat, than a lower grade new boat. New boats can have issues too. New is not a guarantee that there won't be any problems. And some manufactorers are terrible when it comes to standing behind their warranties. Unfortunately, boat buyers don't have the same protections that automobile and RV purchasers do.

Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    RE: What kind of boat to buy? 2007/08/07 14:09:25 (permalink)
    grady is waaaaaaay over priced....you can get a boat of similar quality and fit and finish for 75% of the cost of grady...

CB
    Brad1
    Expert Angler
    RE: What kind of boat to buy? 2007/08/08 06:09:37 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Carpet Bagger

grady is waaaaaaay over priced....you can get a boat of similar quality and fit and finish for 75% of the cost of grady...

Expensive, yes, overpriced, well . . . maybe if you pay MSRP perhaps. But who pays MSRP on a boat? When I bought my Grady, I only paid several  grand more than the price I was given for a 22 ft Proline, and the Proline had a carb'd Merc 2 stroke, where as my Grady has a 4 stroke. Granted, my Grady was an '03 model year leftover where as the Proline was a current model year ('04 at the time).

Carpet Bagger, what brands do you consider to have similar quality and fit and finish as a Grady? Before my Grady, I owned Hydra Sports and before that, Proline. Let me tell you, the Hydra Sports and Proline weren't even in the same league as the Grady. I can name many characteristics / features where Grady spanks the other two. Over the past 4 to 5 years, I've been on a Boston Whaler 23 ft Conquest, my Proline, my Hydra Sports, a 31 ft Donzi, a 26 ft Pro Sports and a few others. The only one of those I just mentioned that is comparable to Grady was the Boston Whaler. But price a Boston Whaler. For that matter, the only boats that come to mind that are comparable in quality, fit and finish to a Grady White are Boston Whaler and supposedly Pursuit.

Another point, look at Grady's resale. Not too many other brands hold their resale value like a Grady. There's a reason for that.

Also keep in mind that the Grady is a three piece boat, not a two piece like Proline, Hydra Sports, and many others. That makes a big difference when it comes to layout and storage space.

When it comes to boats (just like anything else), you get what you pay for. After owning a Grady White for the past three seasons, I can say that it is no coincidence they took the JD Powers award for best offshore coastal fishing boats 6 yrs in a row.
    post edited by Brad1 - 2007/08/08 07:32:58
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    RE: What kind of boat to buy? 2007/08/08 09:33:01 (permalink)
    Brad1 Grady White is a very very very well made boat.  But they do cost a pretty penny.

As far as boats go...there are many out there with similar construction they do come close to grady...but dont exactly dot all the I's and cross all the T's like grady white does.

There are many smaller independant builders out there that build quality rides without that sticker like grady...

I listed above some of my favorites...

CB
    Brad1
    Expert Angler
    RE: What kind of boat to buy? 2007/08/08 10:47:23 (permalink)

Brad1 Grady White is a very very very well made boat.  But they do cost a pretty penny.

As far as boats go...there are many out there with similar construction they do come close to grady...but dont exactly dot all the I's and cross all the T's like grady white does.

There are many smaller independant builders out there that build quality rides without that sticker like grady...

I listed above some of my favorites...

Here is a list of my current Favorites (search em out on yahoo)
    Steiger Craft
    Parker Boats
    Judge Yachts
    Albemarle
    MayCraft

Steiger Craft is my number one at this moment...No frills, NO BS, built like a tank, lifetime hull warrenty, and you can call their company and talk to those who build their boats.  Friend of mine has an 2003 23 Miami with a green hull (you may have seen it at walnut) very very very impressive boat. 

Carpet Bagger, If I were to compile a list, mine would look alot like yours. I like what I've read about Steigers. I would also add Dusky to the list. Dusky is another no frills, solidly built fishing boat. They don't have a dealership network though. You have to drive to the factory in Dana, FL to pick up your boat. I believe MayCraft has a very shallow deadrise so it might be a rough rider. And don't forget Carolina Classic.

The only problem is, there are no dealerships close by for those brands and if you were to encounter a warranty issue, you would be faced with a long distance drive (each way) to get it addressed. I speak from experience as I have been involved with a major warranty issue with a long distance new boat purchase (500 mile one way distance) and it was a major PITA. I have learned my lesson from that and would never buy a new boat long distance again as a result. Used perhaps, but definately not new.

One brand I'd be wary of is Mako. They were involved in some pretty shady stuff in the late 90's / early 20's. The Coast Guard deemed some of their boats not structurally sound, and Mako refused to abide by an order to recall those hulls. From what I read in Boat U.S. on the subject, there were owners stuck with 284s that they couldn't use. Since then, I have read reports of Mako not standing behind their product.
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    RE: What kind of boat to buy? 2007/08/08 11:09:13 (permalink)
    The steiger 255dv is going to be my next boat (probaly in 2 years).....As far as warrenty goes...ive been on steigers boats...i cannot see what could go wrong that i could not tackle aside from a major motor issue.  Suzuk has a 6 year warrenty though and there are many dealers in a 100mile radius who service suzuki outboards.

Carolina classic is a heavy boat with a big deadrise...They rock and roll a little too much for me and have too much forward cabin...but man do they blast waves....if i were going to buy a Carolina boat it would be Albemarle.  The 265 is very very high on my list, but i dont need a dinette, microwave, stove, or fridge...pointless for a great lakes boat.

Never a fan of mako....I think i saw your grady on Sunday...did you launch a little later in the morning...i think i may have seen you when i was leaving.  Around 10am?  Do you have a 225 yam on it?  if so you were right next to me.

CB
    2cents
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 28
    RE: What kind of boat to buy? 2007/08/08 11:34:27 (permalink)
    im NOT telling u wat to buy but i have a starcraft, an it is a nice boat, handles nicely in the waves  travels well, but  they are very EXPENSIVE to keep up. its a 2003 an im the second owner.. just recently  my welds broke under the transom, i have oil cannoning promblems, an its a complete mess.  starcraft wont even look at the boat.  that tell's u sumthing about them. many people have said that they can fix it but it wont be the same, an that they wont b responsible if the boat sinks. soo really  i got a boat that is no good. buying a used boat is great but. i learned my lesson an that is to buy NEW. but its a shame that they wont even touch the boat. even if i pay for it. so i would buy a NEW boat as to what kind i like the trophies. but look around  an read the fine print lol
    Scaremypsu2
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: What kind of boat to buy? 2007/08/08 11:53:48 (permalink)
    a lot of people mentioned some pretty good boats.  The easiest way to give you some suggestions is determine what price range you are looking and go from there.  As you probably know a 21-24 foot boat can go from 5000 to over 150,000$. 
    Brad1
    Expert Angler
    RE: What kind of boat to buy? 2007/08/08 12:02:04 (permalink)

....I think i saw your grady on Sunday...did you launch a little later in the morning...i think i may have seen you when i was leaving.  Around 10am?  Do you have a 225 yam on it?  if so you were right next to me.

Wasn't me. It's been a month since the last time I was out. This has been a real rough year for me. Had a house built, moved into it, sold a house, two Son's playing in house baseball, then traveling tournament baseball, now football and fall baseball. And this darn job thing keeps interferring with what would be my Monday through Friday fishing.

I have a Yamaha F225 on my transom. I only launch at Lampe because I don't think I could handle the crowds at Walnut. When I fish West of Walnut, I make the run by water.

I agree that there's not much that looks like it could wrong with a Stieger. When I had a warranty issue, it was water intrusion in the transom. Brand new boat. There was a void in the transom and an improperly sealed splashwell scupper allowed the water to enter the void. Found the problem when I was drilling to install the transducer. Saw the same problem with a Scout a couple years ago. Unfortunately, Scout did not consider that a warranty issue since they have a wood free transom.

Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    RE: What kind of boat to buy? 2007/08/08 12:21:15 (permalink)
    Boys at steiger told me that in 32 years of production they have NEVER had a transom fail.  They encapsulate 3 layers so that even if water would get to one layer...it still would not effect the transom's integrity.  They build em right and are very proud of thier boats.....The look and the ride is even more impressive than the build.

Im fairly sold on them at this time....

CB
    Brad1
    Expert Angler
    RE: What kind of boat to buy? 2007/08/08 13:04:24 (permalink)

Boys at steiger told me that in 32 years of production they have NEVER had a transom fail.  They encapsulate 3 layers so that even if water would get to one layer...it still would not effect the transom's integrity.  They build em right and are very proud of thier boats.....The look and the ride is even more impressive than the build.

Im fairly sold on them at this time....

As I mentioned in a previous post, I spend a ton of time out on the boating forum of http://www.thehulltruth.com/

In the several years that I have spent monitoring and posting on that site, I have never heard of a single problem, or one negative thing mentioned about a Stieger Craft. And it seems to be the general concensious that Stiegers are exceptionally well built boats.
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    RE: What kind of boat to buy? 2007/08/08 15:00:41 (permalink)
    Brad...Im on there too...lol

CB
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to: