Steelhead location advice

Author
Steelhead281
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 8
  • Reward points: 0
2024/02/03 17:50:23 (permalink)

Steelhead location advice

Hi, I don't want your secrets but would appreciate knowing where I can not go any longer.  It has been a few years since I have fished in Erie. 
Place I am familiar with are"
Foleys, Downstream
Steretannia, Downstream past the dropoff ledge and around the corner toward the Flats
Pet Cemetary
Upstream from the VFW in Girard
20Mile
Walnut...are there any fish in there, seemed sparse for years
Any other help is appreciated, I just want to avoid wasting too much time looking for spots to fish  Thanks

2 Replies Related Threads

Irisheyeball
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 466
    Re: Steelhead location advice 2024/02/03 18:51:29 (permalink)
    There were changes to 20 mi access in 2023.  
    snagr
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 503
    Re: Steelhead location advice 2024/02/03 20:26:53 (permalink)
    Pet Cemetery is still open except for the two week deer gun season. It is also now fly fishing only per the owner’s signs. Can fish all the way between there and Rick Road.

I believe you probably mean the Legion in Girard. If so lots of room to walk up and down stream of there.

Since about 2009 fish on Walnut above the big falls at the top of the Chutes are few and far between. There was massive flooding on most of the tribs that summer and my take is is that something changed at the falls that inhibited the ability of fish to get over. I have found a few here and there after very high water flows but nothing consistent. The PFBC does stock some adult steelhead on parts of Walnut after they are done milking them at the hatchery but to my knowledge, they do not announce when and where publicly.

Once in awhile my sons and I will join the circus on lower Walnut and there are plenty of fish and fishermen there.
    Jump to: