?what wood, fiber or aluminum would you use?

Author
Brother Angel
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 35
  • Reward points: 0
2007/04/06 09:33:29 (permalink)

?what wood, fiber or aluminum would you use?

I would like to lighten up my boat by changing my factory 3/4 ply wood with something light and strong, and then add new carpet.  What would you use and where can you by these things.  I live in beaver county.  Any advise would help.

14 Replies Related Threads

ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: ?what wood, fiber or aluminum would you use? 2007/04/06 09:43:54 (permalink)
    My brother's boat has aluminum floors in it.  His boat is an Alumicraft, but I thought about the lightning storm factor....I'd probably go with aluminum or maybe that white plastic stuff they make cutting boars out of.  What are the odds of getting hit by lightning anyway? But, I guess you never know! 

It could get real expensive though.  I once re-did an 86 14 footer and used treated 3/4" plywood...was heavy, but it lasted for years for me and as still in use since I sold the boat.

Overall, if weight is a big factor for you, and you're a fair weather fisherman....I'd go with aluminum..Good Luck.

indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: ?what wood, fiber or aluminum would you use? 2007/04/06 10:02:27 (permalink)
    Brother Angel,
           I would be veeerrryy careful before I would replace existing wood with any other substance except the same type of wood.  The wood in your boat is probably a structural member and was chosen, not only for it's strength but also for its' flex and shock dampening characteristics.  Also, does the wood need replacing?  If so check the structural members that the wood screws in to.  They may be bad also.  I'd use marine grade ply and find some other way to loose weight.  Like a smaller outboard.  Or just carry fewer people.  Don't forget whatever you put in will have to be compatable with everything else that will go on it.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    Brother Angel
    New Angler
    RE: ?what wood, fiber or aluminum would you use? 2007/04/07 00:12:50 (permalink)
    Thanks for the advise.  I have an older 17' tracker with a newer 25 evinrude that isn't planing but is plowing with two people at 18 to 19 mph.  I am thinking about upping the carb or changing the prop to ss.  I put a se 200 fin on the motor and can't see any help with planing, just turning.  The floor is warped but not rotted.  I am also thinking of replacing small sections of deck with half inch wood for some weight reduction.  Do you think half inch is to small for the floor it I could easily replace it?
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: ?what wood, fiber or aluminum would you use? 2007/04/07 00:33:32 (permalink)
    Try changing the prop to SS.
    If you have a tach make sure the RPM at wide open throttle is where it should be.
    A different make in the same size and pitch will change performance.
    Solid trim tabs on the transom might also help a little.

saltflyfisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 565
    RE: ?what wood, fiber or aluminum would you use? 2007/04/07 09:42:23 (permalink)
    Your going to have to consider adding more lower support to get rid of the flex from the smaller dimension lumber. The starboard materials are not designed for structural support and will flex, plus be very expensive. I would contact the boat manu. and find out what they recommend.
    Tom
    ORIGINAL: Brother Angel

Thanks for the advise.  I have an older 17' tracker with a newer 25 evinrude that isn't planing but is plowing with two people at 18 to 19 mph.  I am thinking about upping the carb or changing the prop to ss.  I put a se 200 fin on the motor and can't see any help with planing, just turning.  The floor is warped but not rotted.  I am also thinking of replacing small sections of deck with half inch wood for some weight reduction.  Do you think half inch is to small for the floor it I could easily replace it?
    traveler
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 66
    RE: ?what wood, fiber or aluminum would you use? 2007/04/07 10:57:15 (permalink)
    I have rebuilt a few boats myself & after sitting down & calculating the weights of wood verses aluminum the weight advantage of using aluminum was not worth the weight loss or the cost. One thing I did not check into was the marine grade plastics or what ever they are. After some experimenting I found 3/4" exterior plywood sealed on both sides & all edges worked the best & lasted for many many years. Hope this helps in your decision. Personally I would look at other areas to lighten your load, as stated earlier I would look at the prop, the RPM, how the motor is trimmed, & the weight distribution. Good luck      By the way I found 1/2" is not really strong enough depending on the distance between supports & the weight savings is not significant 
    post edited by traveler - 2007/04/07 11:00:49
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: ?what wood, fiber or aluminum would you use? 2007/04/07 12:39:05 (permalink)
    Brother Angel,
         You mentioned the floor boards are warped.  You may have something else going on there.  I is not unheard of for a boat to develop water soaked structural members within the framework of the boat.  Water soaked wood add a lot of weight.  Better check it out.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    Brad1
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 338
    RE: ?what wood, fiber or aluminum would you use? 2007/04/07 20:49:12 (permalink)
    I wouldn't consider marine starboard an option for your floor. 1) It's heavy, 2) It's expensive, 3) It flexes alot, and 4) It's very smooth and slippery.

If having problems with your floor, I suggest you replace with plywood. If your current floor is waterlogged, it will be heavier.

But if your floor isn't water logged, I disagree with your approach to your boat not planing issue. I would not try to modify the OEM construction of the boat to lighten it. I would run a more powerful motor.
    trade winds
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 30
    RE: ?what wood, fiber or aluminum would you use? 2007/04/07 21:20:26 (permalink)
    mods, I noticed you are moving threads around.
    this thread should be moved to off-topic as well.

thank you
    Brother Angel
    New Angler
    RE: ?what wood, fiber or aluminum would you use? 2007/04/08 09:24:20 (permalink)
    I had a 35 merc on it and it seemed to plane well.  Do you think upping the carb to 30 hp will be worth the expense?  Or would a ss prop help me more?  I don't have to change the floor I just thought it would be easy but I see from your(everyone's) advise that it may not be the issue. 
    thanks guy's
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: ?what wood, fiber or aluminum would you use? 2007/04/08 11:08:39 (permalink)
    Brother,

I have a tracker pro 17, and have no trouble planing with an 18hp Tohatsu. A SS prop, might help, but it is more likely the pitch that is the issue. I believe Mercury's website offers prop recommendations. Any dealer should be able to point you in the right direction. Weight distribution, rather than overall weight could be a factor also.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Brad1
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 338
    RE: ?what wood, fiber or aluminum would you use? 2007/04/08 15:59:26 (permalink)
    I'd go with spoonchucker's advice. That being first try a different pitch prop and weight distribution. See what effect that has, then if your still not happy, try the bump up in hp and stainless.
    saltflyfisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 565
    RE: ?what wood, fiber or aluminum would you use? 2007/04/08 17:28:56 (permalink)
    Weight everything in the boat that you would carry and add the persons weight to that. Call the motor manuf. and give them all the spec's from your findings. They would be able to recommend a correct prop for you. It will cost you no more than time spent to do the numbers and the time on the phone. Going out to purchase props first off will get expensive quick. You need to have the prop sized for the overall boat and motor set up. You can sit there all day guessing yourself and the props pitch and dia forever. Each time you change the prop you'll need to run it and see what the outcome is. If your not well informed as to what your looking for out of each prop then your never have a quality outcome for any one of the props.
    Tom
    Brother Angel
    New Angler
    RE: ?what wood, fiber or aluminum would you use? 2007/04/09 09:20:58 (permalink)
    I'm going to call evinrude and tracker to get there advise.  I'm also going to look into a rpm meter to help with prop selection.
    post edited by Brother Angel - 2007/04/12 08:22:02
    Jump to: