Strange things caught while fishing

Author
FisherChic
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 789
  • Reward points: 0
2007/10/26 07:55:51 (permalink)

Strange things caught while fishing

I don't know why they say "Two headed Pike" because it only has one head, but two bodies...

http://www.anglingmasters.com/10-strangest-things-caught-fishing.asp

16 Replies Related Threads

John 316
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 308
    RE: Strange things caught while fishing 2007/10/26 09:41:54 (permalink)
    Strange things caught while fishing.....

My brother in law who's in the marines recently went on a blue marlin excursion.  After fishing for most the day and not catching anything, he returned from the cabin to see his rod going crazy.  After fighting the "fish" for an hour, he got it to the boat.  One of his marine buddies had tied a five gallon bucket onto his line! 
    glen
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 920
    RE: Strange things caught while fishing 2007/10/26 16:43:39 (permalink)
    AT CHAU. CREEK YEARS AGO MY BUDDY JEFF HOOKED A BIG FISH AND AFTER A FEW SECONDS THE BEAVER SWAM TO THE TOP AND BROKE HIM OFF.
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2384
    RE: Strange things caught while fishing 2007/10/26 20:36:27 (permalink)
    Just for laughs ! I pulled this out of Oak Orchard Creek many years back. It came floating down the creek. That creek was a real dumping area years back. It was loaded with old car batteries and junk auto parts. Hopefully those days are gone.  http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/1127381090051395656RVZbdK
    FisherChic
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 789
    RE: Strange things caught while fishing 2007/10/27 11:03:22 (permalink)
    yes, hopefully they've cleaned that creek up some. 

I don't think I'd like to reel in a tire, or a 5 gallon bucket lol

or most of those other freaks of nature on that link. Esp. the "alien fish" that thing looks pretty creepy.
    dublvision
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 99
    RE: Strange things caught while fishing 2007/10/27 11:07:21 (permalink)
    LMAO.  That is funny, will try that next year for sure.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: Strange things caught while fishing 2007/10/27 11:53:38 (permalink)
    'bout 12 years ago, my dad and I were trolling some spinners for trout in a paddle boat at Twin Lakes in Westmoreland Co.  His rod about doubles in half and whatever it is is taking us all around the lake.  After about 10 minutes he hands me his rod, and then another 10 minutes later, I finally "land" an ultralight spinning rod.  Whatever it is is still on this ultralight.  The fight goes on about another 15 minutes, finally, I see some split shots and just before I get it to the surface, whatever it was is gone.  I'm guessing it was a big snapping turtle from the way it fought.  My dad still has that rod, and uses it once in awhile. 
    2dog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 468
    RE: Strange things caught while fishing 2007/10/27 18:13:39 (permalink)
    How about reeling in and snag a eight inch sturgeon out of the Allegheny river in Springdale back in the late 60's.
    Grendel
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1675
    RE: Strange things caught while fishing 2007/10/28 14:11:24 (permalink)
    Kevin snagged a dog a few years back - a feat yet to be duplicated.

Doc

The strength of a person isn't measured by the muscle in their arm or how tall they stand, but rather, by the amount of knowledge and area of versatility they can cover. CM ~ 1987

Not a fan of Burgh teams. Get over it...
    STEALYS4ME
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1443
    RE: Strange things caught while fishing 2007/10/28 16:17:33 (permalink)
    Those lampreys are nasty do they have a real purpose????
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: Strange things caught while fishing 2007/10/28 19:13:18 (permalink)
    Fisherchic,
          I just had to add this.  This year while I was trying (in vain) to teach my son-in-law to fly fish he managed to hook a minature doberman that some people fishing about 100 feet from us had brought to the creek with them.  Thank goodness for barbless hooks.  Then to make matters worse he managed to tangle his line and after clearing the tangle managed to hook a beagle/something-cross in the paw on his first backcast.  It seems the dogs were snapping at the woolybugger he was using and his  back casts were slapping the ground.  He is now restricted to #10 hooks and powerbait on a zebco rod/reel.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    nightowl207
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 567
    RE: Strange things caught while fishing 2007/10/28 19:42:18 (permalink)
    indsquiz, you need to nickname him "the dogcatcher".
    steelheadman28
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 393
    RE: Strange things caught while fishing 2007/10/28 20:11:49 (permalink)
    A smallmouth bass in the shutes nothing amazing but when i figured its a jack or something but it wasnt but hige fight let me tell u jk but catching one in a fast stream, saw him go back under a rock
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8508
    RE: Strange things caught while fishing 2007/10/28 20:55:32 (permalink)
    I would have to say the craziest thing for me was a duck. I was 7 , when myself and two of my friends , decided to sneak into this farm pond that was off limits. The old farmer was always throwing us off. Using bread for bait, and catching bluegills, I cast and a duck grabs my hook. This bird is making more noise than a jack hammer. The other two hightail it out of there, with me pulling this duck in, wings flapping and quacking up a storm. I try to break the line but get cut instead. Finally get him in and  wrestle it to the ground, next the nieghbers screaming at me to get out of there, its private property. I was never so glad to get that hook out , I ran like satan was after me.

Presquisleanglr
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 185
    RE: Strange things caught while fishing 2007/10/28 21:58:25 (permalink)
    A couple of winters back my brother and I hit east ave for some steel through the ice, I was jigging a pimple and hooked into a small jack, as i was only fishing in three feet of water and close to the rocks I was looking in the hole to see the trout flashing back and forth, then there was something else down there! I mentioned this fact to my brother and at that moment the small jack took on a dark furry look and battled fiercely for a bout three seconds,  out of my ice hole popped a mink with my pimple stuck in his right paw. the mink jumped out of the hole and ran across the ice my reel was screaming my brothers dog took chase, the mink was spaying musk all over, the place stunk to high heaven, the dog caught up to the mink, In the course of s brief battle the mink hooked the dog in the nose and then was gone in to the rocks As I pulled the Swedish pimple out of by brothers dogs nose, HE questioned What the hell was all that about?

best I could figure ,as I was fighting the jack the mink must have ben fishing along the rocks under the ice seen my steel head jack and wonted it for his own. but got a Swedish pimple in the paw .
    youngguru
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 681
    RE: Strange things caught while fishing 2007/10/29 00:34:47 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Presquisleanglr

A couple of winters back my brother and I hit east ave for some steel through the ice, I was jigging a pimple and hooked into a small jack, as i was only fishing in three feet of water and close to the rocks I was looking in the hole to see the trout flashing back and forth, then there was something else down there! I mentioned this fact to my brother and at that moment the small jack took on a dark furry look and battled fiercely for a bout three seconds,  out of my ice hole popped a mink with my pimple stuck in his right paw. the mink jumped out of the hole and ran across the ice my reel was screaming my brothers dog took chase, the mink was spaying musk all over, the place stunk to high heaven, the dog caught up to the mink, In the course of s brief battle the mink hooked the dog in the nose and then was gone in to the rocks As I pulled the Swedish pimple out of by brothers dogs nose, HE questioned What the hell was all that about?

best I could figure ,as I was fighting the jack the mink must have ben fishing along the rocks under the ice seen my steel head jack and wonted it for his own. but got a Swedish pimple in the paw .

nVr hapenD

lyAr

i cawt a fRogg att waLnut onn a liTlL cleeO

ayt hiss leggs duud
    thay wer gooD
    steelheaders#1
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 231
    RE: Strange things caught while fishing 2007/10/29 03:05:29 (permalink)
     I was fishing the Yough River and got a hit> thought I hookes a monster trout! The fight was on for 5-10 minutes and it was taking me down stream when I finally landed that car tire I was really tired. I must have had on some strong line back then to land that monster.....................
    Jump to: