2F = 34 deer

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
wayne c
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3473
  • Reward points: 0
RE: 2F = 34 deer 2010/05/12 23:18:09 (permalink)
link to annual report

When the page loads, click on the link titled: Deer Health, Forest Habitat Health, Deer Harvests, and Deer Population Trends by Wildlife Management Unit. Scroll down in the pdf file, i believe it is on around page 10.

post edited by wayne c - 2010/05/12 23:26:13
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: 2F = 34 deer 2010/05/12 23:23:55 (permalink)
To find any of the other annual reports you want, on the pgc home page, put your pointer on "RESOURCES" which is near the top right hand side of the page.

No need to click just put pointer over the button saying resources... A menu opens. Within that menu, hover your pointer over where it says "reports and minutes". another menu opens and you click on "wildlife management annual reports".
post edited by wayne c - 2010/05/12 23:25:29
MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3032
RE: 2F = 34 deer 2010/05/12 23:31:16 (permalink)
DOC we agree, new website is "poop". Here is the issue I have doc. In 1994 the Forest Investments tract was heavily cut. That area is now extremely thick with desirable species that are in the 12-16 year old class. How did it regeneerate if the population was too high.

Bottom line is the foresters need to stop complaining and start managing, but oooops that would cost money. Face it cutting 40 acres in the middle of a mature forest is basically like throwing out a pile of corn. Deer magnet. Make some significant cuts, burn them post cut and move on instead of the current pick and choose practices of timbering.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
RE: 2F = 34 deer 2010/05/12 23:45:20 (permalink)
Okay.. I see the problem now...

we were talking regeneration studies... amount of increase or decrease in re-generation....

then you threw in this ...
which I was not buying...

Over half the wmus were rated as "SATISFACTORY" in their amount of regeneration on the pgc 05/06 annual report.

On page 10 of that annual report it shows the ratings for FOREST HABITAT HEALTH....

that is NOT re-generation.... apples and oranges...

-------------------------------------------------
MM..

I agree 100% percent... better forestry practices in the past and especially now with larger cutting is one of the main things that could improve deer hunting within a few years all by itself.. ... the herd has been reduced ... it's time for some pressure on the forestry industry to do their thing properly now with less deer to harm the regeneration..

BUT now the housing industry is down the tubes and demand for woods is low.... so they can sit back and complain some more...
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
RE: 2F = 34 deer 2010/05/12 23:49:17 (permalink)
MM..

In 1994 the Forest Investments tract was heavily cut. That area is now extremely thick with desirable species that are in the 12-16 year old class. How did it regeneerate if the population was too high.

where is the Forest Investments tract

I can talk to one of the PGC land managers in the area and ask his opinion...
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: 2F = 34 deer 2010/05/13 01:19:28 (permalink)
"percentage of plots with adequate regeneration" is listed in the chart right along with the rating. And at the beginning portion of the annual report its explained what the ratings are based on. Kinda hard to miss it Doc. Learn to read better or quit telling tales, whichever the case may be. No matter how you slice it, if the forest was deemed healthy and advanced regen. was listed as satisfactory...what more do you need???

Blatant proof absolutely NOTHING was wrong with the majority of our forests.
post edited by wayne c - 2010/05/13 01:24:46
deerfly
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1271
RE: 2F = 34 deer 2010/05/13 07:40:08 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Dr. Trout

since deerfly took the time to get the info he was referring to, I think it only fair I make one more reply to this topic based on what he posted..

...I do not see where too many WMUs (only 2) moved "down" from one rating (i.e.) good to fair to poor etc... while 4 moved up.. poor to fair and fair to good

IN FACT ....
I deal strictly in factual data

Please explain how you can have a decline in regeneration of -2% but go from poor UP to fair ??????

That's factual ????

2G 259 42 Poor----40----Fair---- -2%

plus the way I see it the decline is/was less than 10% state wide, and I figure it is because the deer herd as a whole state wide is not as low as many think it is ... and with lower and lower harvests each year the chance of the herd increasing is greater and as the herd grows the regeneration will decline, just like in years past..

I'm done now

Here is a quote from the 2007 AWR ,regarding the ratings of,good,fair and poor.
Decision Rules Used to Determine Forest Habitat Health.--We developed a set of criteria to
assign a value of “Good”, “Fair”, or “Poor” for forest habitat health. A WMU’s forest habitat health was
considered “good” if the observed percentage of plots with adequate regeneration was greater than,
equal to, or not significantly different than 70%. If a WMU’s forest habitat health was not significantly
different from 70% and not significantly different from 50%, then forest habitat health was considered
“fair”. A WMU’s forest habitat health also was considered “fair” if: 1. the observed percentage of plots
with adequate regeneration was equal to 50%; or 2. between 50% and 70% and significantly less than
70%; or 3. not significantly different than 50%. A WMU’s forest habitat health was considered “poor” if
the observed percentage of plots with adequate regeneration was significantly less than 50%.

Note that the data from 2010 shows that 12 WMUs would still be rated as poor based on that criteria, but the PGC chose to rate them as fair and didn't bother to explain how or why they did so. Even 5C which has always been rated as poor was raised to fair with only 26% regeneration.

So, it appears that the forest health assessments are irrelevant, which means one has to rely on the actual % regeneration in order to compare decreases or increases in regeneration and regeneration decreased in 16 out of 21 WMUs from 2007 to 2010.
DanesDad
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3087
RE: 2F = 34 deer 2010/05/13 15:39:14 (permalink)
With the reduction in allocations, any regeneration that is going on should be reduced. At least if they keep the tag numbers where they are now.
deerfly
Pro Angler
RE: 2F = 34 deer 2010/05/13 16:37:06 (permalink)
Why would you say that when regeneration decreased in 2G as the herd was reduced while it increased in 2F with much higher deer densities than in 2G? Can you explain why regeneration in 2G decreased as the herd was reduced by over 50%?
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: 2F = 34 deer 2010/05/13 21:14:31 (permalink)
Good question. Same question could be asked of alot of the other wmus as well.
MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3032
RE: 2F = 34 deer 2010/05/14 11:13:10 (permalink)
Doc, it surrounds chappel fork between 321 and 59.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
DanesDad
Pro Angler
RE: 2F = 34 deer 2010/05/14 15:31:40 (permalink)
The reduction in allocations for 2G should allow for more deer, thus more browsing, thus less regeneration. The fact that regeneration may have been poor even with a high tag allotment and a lot of deer being killed would seem to indicate (as I've suspected all along) there are other factors at work besides deer in the supression of forest regeneration. Surely, I'm not the only one who thinks that. How does acid rain and the low PH of the soils common to the north and central part of the state figure in?
deerfly
Pro Angler
RE: 2F = 34 deer 2010/05/14 17:39:12 (permalink)
Well, it looks like I may have misjudged you since it is obvious from your answer that you have given the subject considerable thought and came up with a reasonable and logical explanation for why regeneration didn't increase in 2G as the herd was reduced. While I agree that there are factors other than browsing that are limiting regeneration, I don't think acid rain is a major factor. The successful regeneration observed in exclosures pretty much eliminates acid rain as the major limiting factor. But, the DCNR DMAP Enrollment Reports, the report from ANF and the Audit all point to competing vegetation and invasive species as a major limiting factor preventing regeneration
DanesDad
Pro Angler
RE: 2F = 34 deer 2010/05/15 11:27:39 (permalink)
What exactly is growing in the exclosures? Every one I've seen has a large amount of growth in it. Much much more than what is on the outside. But, is the lush growth inside the exclosure of any future value? Are we regenerating the types of plants that will provide a lot of food for deer in the future? Is there a lot of oak and soft mast trees along with things like trillium and other ground plants that deer prefer or is it a bunch of Hemlock and Striped maple and other things of low nutritional value? Does acid rain and soils of low PH supress acorn growth? Because if there was a direct correlation between deer populations and browse available, then what has happened to the deer in 2F and 2G would HAVE to create an increase in regeneration.
S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
RE: 2F = 34 deer 2010/05/15 12:26:39 (permalink)
You want to remember that in many cases they herbicide spray and even lime/fertlize the ground inside the enclosures plus the sunlight gets to the ground so the growth gets a good start. A Penn State Hydrogolist(sp) Dr William Sharp has done studies and co-authored a paper which basicly says our ground sucks as a result of acid rain from all the coal fired generating stations in Ohio and the midwestern states. He states you could kill every deer in the state and still not have good regeneration. He says a bit of lime would take the place of killing the deer. Penn State even designed and built a machine to spread the lime on some test sites. They have since sold it to a Pa. company that does it for the timber folks. Of course he doesn't offer to pay for the lime needed to do 17 million acres. It's easier and cheaper to kill the deer than lime the forests or shut down the generating stations so that's what we are doing.
DanesDad
Pro Angler
RE: 2F = 34 deer 2010/05/15 14:06:16 (permalink)
But killing the deer doesn't solve the problem.
deerfly
Pro Angler
RE: 2F = 34 deer 2010/05/15 17:17:16 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: DanesDad

What exactly is growing in the exclosures? Every one I've seen has a large amount of growth in it. Much much more than what is on the outside. But, is the lush growth inside the exclosure of any future value? Are we regenerating the types of plants that will provide a lot of food for deer in the future? Is there a lot of oak and soft mast trees along with things like trillium and other ground plants that deer prefer or is it a bunch of Hemlock and Striped maple and other things of low nutritional value? Does acid rain and soils of low PH supress acorn growth? Because if there was a direct correlation between deer populations and browse available, then what has happened to the deer in 2F and 2G would HAVE to create an increase in regeneration.

The vast majority of exclosures are constructed to insure the regeneration of oaks and from what I have read they accomplish that goal. But, what I am looking for is a report that documents the long term beneficial effects of the exclosures on oak regeneration along with the effects on the understory during the 60 years of the pole timber stage. In my opinion the dense stocking of the exclosures will result in intense shading and virtually no understory or ground cover after 15-20 years.

One thing that shouldn't be overlooked is that the PGC does not base it's determination of forest health on the total regeneration of all species. Instead it is based on the regeneration of the trees in the existing canopy even though the natural progression of a forest is from shade intolerant species to shade tolerant species.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: