Fishing a dropper

Author
pxatim
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4786
  • Reward points: 0
2007/10/11 11:31:52 (permalink)

Fishing a dropper

Say I want to fish a single egg... with a nymph dropper. Is it better to tie into the eye of the first fly. Or onto the bend in the hook?

Or is there an even better way to rig this?

22 Replies Related Threads

KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: Fishing a dropper 2007/10/11 11:39:44 (permalink)
    i tie the top fly on first (eyelet)

if you attach the droppper then you are tying a clintch with added potential mess
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: Fishing a dropper 2007/10/11 11:40:34 (permalink)
    fish it on the bend of a hook with a modified cinch knot, Alot of fish are lost from the first fly down so be sure the knot is secure.  Use a palomar knot for the tippet to eye connection.  Also, to prevent foul hooking, dont let alot of distance between your first fly and dropper, I prefer about 6-8" and no more. 
    pxatim
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fishing a dropper 2007/10/11 11:41:00 (permalink)
    so you attach them both on the same line
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1656
    RE: Fishing a dropper 2007/10/11 12:31:24 (permalink)
    You are going to get a variety of opinions here.  They'll all catch fish, and all will foul hook fish in the low water we have now. 

Use polarized shades, and watch YOUR flies (as opposed to trying to keep them out of other people's way).  If your rig moves through/over a pod of fish, gently slip the first fly (the one I concentrate on) over and through the group.  If you see the first one make it through and notice the flapping jaw of a fish behind, you've got a bite.  That's been working for me when I have used a dropper, which isn't much now.  Just don't start ripping the line through the pod, as you'll snag one for sure.  We were told last night that the f-c's have been nailing a bunch of fools for snagging, so don't let the temptation get the best of you.  Contrary to what some on here will have you believe, they are there, and they are watching.
    pxatim
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fishing a dropper 2007/10/11 12:37:23 (permalink)
    I was mainly just curious because I've never tried it before. I wouldn't in these conditions anyways. Not till the water comes up at least.

Last time I was up people were doing just as you said... casting into a pod... letting it sink and jerking it out. Foul hooking a fish everytime.
    Sculpin 14
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 429
    RE: Fishing a dropper 2007/10/11 12:47:00 (permalink)
    I reguard to T.T. coment about them watching........O there watching....even at night...a friend of mine go fined for accidently leaving a soda can behind along the creek. This was 1:00am, they had night vision and everything.......no lie.......
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fishing a dropper 2007/10/11 12:47:22 (permalink)
    http://www.midcurrent.com/articles/gear/monahan_tandem_combos.aspx

i normaly fish a dry dropper set-up for trout...
    indicators scare fish... and don't have a hook
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fishing a dropper 2007/10/11 13:00:29 (permalink)
    ...and range finders, too.  Watch those trib mouth boundaries.

What's with the soda?  I thought all the 'Nutters only drank beer after sun-down.
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: Fishing a dropper 2007/10/11 13:19:13 (permalink)
    One of my favorite set ups is a sucker spawn as the first fly and a nymph dropper about 12 to 16 or so inches behind.  Most of the hits are on the nymph, and I use the sucker spawn more as an indicator.  I can watch it in the drift and when it stops, I gently lift my rod and see if a fish reacts.  If a fish has the nymph, they will shake their head and try to spit is out.  I miss a few fish this way, but I have learned I don't snag as many. 

As an aside, I had a female swallow a nymph the other day.  When I landed her, the tippet was coming directly out of her mouth and the fly was way down her throat.  Needless to say, she went home with me.

Another effective combo is two sucker spawns or glo bugs, of different colors.  I sometimes will set up a tandem like this to see what they are taking.  Again you need to be careful when the fish are stacked up because you can snag a fish pretty easily.

One other consideration is if the fish hits the first fly, the second often times will swing around and snag the fish.  If this happens, you may have a more difficult time with the fish, especially if the first fly pops out of the mouth.  I had that happen before, get a hook up, the fly is in the mouth and then the fish spit the fly and end up having to try and land it with the dropper fly hooked in its side.

Something else to consider is the difference in weight between the first fly and the dropper.  If you are using a nymph, especially a beadhead, it will drift a bit lower than the first fly.  This being the case, and if you are watching the first fly, ie sucker spawn, when you go past a pod of fish, you need to remember the nymph may be lower than the fish and when you pull up to recast, you may lift the fly up along the belly of the fish, snagging it.  Likewise, if you are drifting high above the fish, the sucker spawn may be above or at the level of the fish, but the leader connecting the nymph to the sucker spawn may be riding over the backs of the fish, leaving the nymph running down their sides and making it more likely to snag the fish in the dorsal fin or tail.

The bottom line, if you are using a dropper and start snagging fish, take it off.

pax vobiscum +
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fishing a dropper 2007/10/11 13:21:19 (permalink)
    anadromous

I agree with the way you attach the fly, espeically if the first fly is something like a streamer or bugger.  I don't use that combo too often, but you are right, if you tie onto the bend of the hook, you will not get a natural movement of the first fly.

pax vobiscum +
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fishing a dropper 2007/10/11 13:42:11 (permalink)
    One of my favorite set ups is a sucker spawn as the first fly and a nymph dropper about 12 to 16 or so inches behind. Most of the hits are on the nymph, and I use the sucker spawn more as an indicator. I can watch it in the drift and when it stops, I gently lift my rod and see if a fish reacts. If a fish has the nymph, they will shake their head and try to spit is out. I miss a few fish this way, but I have learned I don't snag as many.

The idea of the first being the "indicator" is half the plan for me.  The other half , epecially in these current conditions when I do use a tandem rig, is to use the first fly (usually something larger) as not only an indicator, but as an instigator.  Most of the fish in now aren't interested in biting, but I've been able to "bop" a few on the nose with the bigger fly and have them snap at the dropper.  Fish on!
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fishing a dropper 2007/10/11 13:53:19 (permalink)
    they seems to spook away from the first fly then light up on the second and sometimes they don't move for either one LOL

Exactly. 

Good luck this weekend.  Anymore donut boys heading up with you?  Wish 'em luck too.  You should check out the new project hole on the 'Nut.  You've never seen so many stacked up in one place.  There's some fish in there, too.
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fishing a dropper 2007/10/11 14:00:32 (permalink)
    I thouight of one other thing, the drift.  You really don't want the first fly dragging the second fly behind it.  You want a more natural drift for both.  If you see the first fly out ahead of the second, you need to slow the first fly down a little and try to keep the dropper floating or bouncing along the bottom at about the same speed as the first fly.  This can be a little tough sometimes, but with a little practice in line control you can get the swing of it.

pax vobiscum +
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Fishing a dropper 2007/10/11 14:17:29 (permalink)
    All depends on water conditions and knowledge of the bottom.  For Erie fishing, I go with the bend of the hook, about 15 inches.  For bigger or log water, I'll use a tag end of the the last blood knot towards the fly (about 8 inches of excessive line) for shot.  This works great for unfamiliar water (less hangups) and/or winter fishing (low metabolism fish).  Ticking the bottom and slowing the fly down a bunch is ideal for these situations.  I always fish the nymph as the bottom fly although one could argue it does not matter for steelhead.
    beerman
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1314
    RE: Fishing a dropper 2007/10/11 14:55:51 (permalink)
    I recently purchased a book written by Charles Meck called "Fishing Tandem Flies".  A short , concise book about everything you need to know about fishing a dropper.  Check it out.

changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes....nothing remains quite the same

The Beerman ~ Greg
    pxatim
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fishing a dropper 2007/10/11 15:02:21 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: beerman

I recently purchased a book written by Charles Meck called "Fishing Tandem Flies".  A short , concise book about everything you need to know about fishing a dropper.  Check it out.

He's doing a book signing at my local fly shop this saturday.

Jims Sports Center in Clearfield PA.
    pxatim
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fishing a dropper 2007/10/11 15:05:20 (permalink)
    Author and Fly Fisherman
    Charles  R. Meck

Do you want to spend a day fishing with Charlie Meck? The Old Town Sportsman’s Club and Charlie Meck have joined together to help stock more fingerling brown trout in the West Branch of the Susquehanna River from Curwensville to Clearfield in north central Pennsylvania. Charlie has donated to the Club a guided fly fishing trip for 2 (1 winning bidder with guest) on
    private waters. Fishing next May or June from
    loam to 6pm on a day selected between Charlie and the highest bidder.

Bidding (write in) will take place at Jim’s Sports Center on this Saturday October 13th 10 to 11:30a.m. (Penn State game is at 3:30p.m.). Charlie Meck will be there signing books and to answer you’re fly fishing questions during the silent auction bidding times. Plus, during this program Charlie will donate his royalty proceeds from each book sold at Jim’s to go to fingerling stocking program!
    100% of your silent (write in) auction bid goes to this year’s fingerlingtrout stockings to take place Sunday, October 14th (Curwensville) and Sunday, October 21st (Clearfield).

If you are unable to make the October 13th auction, Jim’s is now accepting
    write in bids (phone in bids up to October 13th at 10am). Bidding over
    $250, increase in increments of at least $25, serious bidders are encouraged
    to be there in person at the time of the bid closing at 11:30am on October 13th.

Silent Auction sign up (write in) sheet is now at the fishing counter in Jim’s Sports Center 26 N. 2nd St. Downtown Clearfield.Call 814-765-3582
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8508
    RE: Fishing a dropper 2007/10/12 08:03:22 (permalink)
    I,ve tried the tandum rig only to have a tree bandit steal both flies.lol I have a hard time casting without getting tangled. Do you usually only use 6-8 inches of leader? I beleive this was my problem.

pxatim
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fishing a dropper 2007/10/12 10:34:05 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: anadromous

Pxatim,
    I am in your neck of the woods...fish Clearfierld, Curwensville, Mahaffey Etc. Give me shout on my E-mail. dennisgoodlin@hotmail.com. I am on the River rescue and have written articles on the Susky. I got some questions for you.

Good deal... sent you an e-mail.
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fishing a dropper 2007/10/12 22:48:28 (permalink)
    mika- fishing with more than 1 fly (i think) requires a new style of casting...

not sure if this makes sense...
    you can't verticaly stack you loop... this WILL cause a mess

imagine a birds-eye view..
    don't keep your front in line with your backcast... work a counter-clockwise loop

OR roll cast
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8508
    RE: Fishing a dropper 2007/10/12 23:05:28 (permalink)
    I can roll cast fine, Its the back cast that I have problomes wiith. It seems to catch the 2 flies together. Comes back in a mess.

indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: Fishing a dropper 2007/10/14 10:14:32 (permalink)
    Gentlemen,
         Something that I have used is a very small three way swivel and just attach each fly to a different arm of the swivel.  It's GREAT for fishing a weighted bug under a floating or drifting bug. Plus it makes fly changes much easier.  And the swivel acts as a small weight to get things down.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    Jump to: