2008/05/22 11:33:06
smb467
What is everyones favorite spinning reels?  Im looking for a good quality spinning reel somewhere around a hundred bucks and am just looking for others opinions.
2008/05/22 11:56:14
fishenfool46
pfluger makes a nice one in the president series okuma makes good stuff as does shimanio just go and try them out i myself like something with at least ten bearings in it they seem the smoothest to me look for reverseable handle and that the reel stops dead when you flip the anti reverse on.i have no idea what your target species will be so i can't help you out in the size dept or if it will be used for salt  water  or fresh only?
2008/05/22 12:10:09
pghmarty
I have a few Okuma Integra reels that are very smooth with a great drag.
Some of there lower priced reels are not too great but mid priced and above are a good choice.

My next reel might be an Okuma Vsystem
- I think they are $125-$150
2008/05/22 12:58:13
Carpet Bagger
Pfluger president reels are great i just bought 4 of them and already cranked in a bunch of walleyes on them..Awesome drags and smooth action. 
2008/05/22 14:09:03
smb467
ya i have tried some of the pfluger president reels and i do like that series.  I will be using the reel mostly for freshwater game fish.
2008/05/22 18:51:46
davef
Previously i liked shimano reels best but i do have one pflueger preident reel that i use for steelhead and i am impressed with it.
2008/05/22 19:16:24
plnoldrick
im a daiwa guy so i would say anything from and excelor up is a good choice in my book. the 100$ area is unfortunately loaded with choices so it's tuff for most. best bet would b to go handle some of them and pick what you like. i will say one thing on behalf of daiwas though. if your a stream fisherman or get your reels wet all the time they have sealed drags that cant be beat. if your more into fluidity you might be better served with a shimano, daiwas are kinda raw in thier feeling.

edit. btw if you should choose a quantum like an energy pti or catalyst pti do not get them wet. i had them before and had massive problems with them after i got them wet. i ended up going through a couple before i said the hell with it and just stuck with the daiwas.

and edit again....dont worry about bearing numbers in your decision either. there are only so many places bearings can be used in a reel before they start using them in places they dont need them just to increase the count. most of the time when you see high bearing counts touted by a manufacturer a couple of those bearings are actually handle supports and added bearings to the line roller. you do obviously need bearings in each but do you really need 4 of those 10 bearings in the handle?
2008/05/22 20:20:20
elephanthead
Shimano Stradic & Quantum Catalyst are my favorites in that price range. The Shimano sustain is by far the one I like most although pricier. Didn't care for the Okuma V-System (sold it very quickly) Not a big Okuma fan - had several line counters go south on me before I bought all Depthmaster Golds. Have some Diawa excelors I use for saugeye & sauger (they're ok I guess)
2008/05/23 08:23:27
rapala11
my choices, shimano symetre or quantum catalyst or even kinetics.  the shimanos have a great reputation but i think the quantums are a little smoother. 
2008/05/24 17:31:59
vinestbrew
I have the quantum catalyst and so far like it a lot!!! However I just got a pflueger and now I'm torn between the 2

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account