2024/04/03 10:22:32
bigfoot
With all this rain i was I was wondering if the creeks and streams will be high and cloudy. Been raining almost non stop here abouts for the last two days.
2024/04/03 10:31:49
fisherofmen376
Some will and some won’t. Depends on many factors-region, size of creek, etc.
2024/04/03 11:20:20
Porktown
Kind of funny that trout fishing is in the off topic...  Probably since this gets most of the remaining traffic here.

I agree with fisherofmen.  I think most are going to be pretty bad on Saturday.  If things calm down and stop the major downpours, the smaller creeks will likely be fishable for Sunday.  Those able to fish the weekdays, should likely have a blast next week.

Larger streams and rivers likely be a bit before they settle.  I imagine the local lakes are going to be chocolate milk until mid next week too.  They will likely be getting a bunch of food flushed into them from the feeder creeks, so I imagine if you are able to match what is flowing in, you could probably do well.  Probably will be rough for those that rely on their "go to" baits that perform well under other conditions.  I imagine many will be throwing their entire tackle bag and still end up skunked.  Imagine that I'd probably fall into that category, so likely staying home doing taxes and other stuff this weekend...  It will likely be just as frustrating.
2024/04/03 11:58:37
DarDys
Right now, in our area, one would need downrigger balls. Most of the bigger waters are over the official flood stage and will be higher by the end of the day. As an example, the Little J, although not an opening day type of water (it is open year round) typically fishes well at less than 3 feet gage height and under 300 cfs. It is currently at 10.55 feet and 9,750 cfs.

It might take most of a dry April to become fishable again.

The small stream on our property is typically 2-3 feet deep in one of the primary pools. I can now actually see the water rushing by from my kitchen window, 250 yards away. This means it climbed out of the 5 foot high bank on top of the normal flow.

For those going, even if not extreme water conditions, please be careful. The water is cold (it was 49 on our creek on Sunday) and one slip could be trouble.
2024/04/03 12:14:44
MyWar
Man, everything is extremely blown out already and they are calling for rain every day through Saturday. I don’t think most of the waterways have even crested yet.

Yea maybe the smaller creeks will be fishable early next week. That’s probably a best case scenario. The stuff I like to hit in the spring is probably off the table for the next 10 days.

This is shaping up to be a substantial rain event. Hopefully it’s the only one this season and the rest of the spring and summer aren’t one washout after another.
2024/04/03 13:19:29
pensfan1
Ya same here in Lawrence Co. The Neshannock is almost touching the North St Bridge. Upper Big Run has yards and feilds flooded on FrewMill Rd. I haven't been out 422 but I suspect the Sliipery Rock looks like the Mighty Missisip.
2024/04/03 14:19:54
Mitchell
LOL! My son took the back way south from Ford City on Monday, following a route along the Buffalo Creek down through Boggsville. For those who've already staked their claims to the creek banks and had their tents set up, most of the tents were already in water. After the past two days, we'll probably see a few tents making it down here to Freeport! And it's gonna rain for two more days. Forget the Buffalo from Nicola downstream for at least two weeks.
2024/04/03 14:42:23
Porktown
There was an extra stocking of brown trout and crappie from this flooding.
2024/04/03 15:02:52
crappiefisher

2024/04/03 15:58:15
MyWar
The point is under water. Looks like the forecast is for the three rivers to crest at around 27 ft. Just two ft shy of flooding river ave and the bike trail on the north side.

At least the rain has been slow enough that millvale and etna didn’t flood. Yet.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account