2024/03/26 12:30:34
dpms
Porktown
We have done three trips to EI. For NC, it is my favorite. We have stayed in The Point area twice. I love it there. Only issue I have with the area is a major lack of backwater access. Pretty much need a kayak/boat to fish the backwaters. The point itself has some backwater access.

Did you ever fish for shark at the point in EI? I plan to try Fort Macon inlet for shark this trip. Bad thing about Macon is the limited hours that it is open. The two I caught last year were from the beach in front of the condo. 
2024/03/26 16:50:06
Porktown
I never really shark fish, besides some nights just casting a chunk and whatever takes it while draining beers. Usually tell when it is a shark by breaking me off within a minute. Mostly cast spoons for Spanish mackerel and blues. Occasionally fish for pompano and mullet, but I enjoy slinging metals and walking the beach. It gives more cover for working your way closer to the chicks in thongs too…. Not that I would do such a thing.

EI Point gets extremely shallow in the surf at low tide. Like a 2’ deep wading pool for about 50 yards out. Check your tide chart. I’d avoid shark night fishing there if low tide. In the inlet it is deep regardless, but in the ocean itself, that section is worthless at low. At high, there is a ton of baitfish and usually blues and Spanish, so imagine sharks too. If you can, take a look over there at daytime low tide to get an idea.

Great place if you have young kids to splash around in.

Back side of that area has some inlets that are filled with mullet. So take a cast net if you have. Inside the inlet will often have green backs too. Those aren’t very hearty though, but the blues love them, especially if you cut them. Imagine what I am targeting it your bait. Both dusk and dawn has a nice window of Spanish and blues hitting 3/4oz to 1.5oz metal spoons. The same times are good at the BI Pier too. They get some midday too.
2024/03/26 19:27:01
dpms
Thanks for the info!! I think I am gonna try the inlet at Macon. Deep water in there and I would imagine the sharks would be cruising the edges all day. 

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account