2023/09/07 12:37:48
eyesandgillz
Well, finally went to wally world and bought my license, and even a doe tag (first time in several years) last week.  Got to say, I don't miss the pink envelopes.

Think I may take tomorrow off and do a bit of scouting, clear a few trails and put out a camera or three.  Mushrooms may even take off/sprout after this rain today....
2023/09/07 14:05:43
snagr
Got a 2D and 2B stand set up for my 13 year old son, who makes the jump from crossbow to compound this year.  He's been working hard at shooting every day and is doing just fine and is really pumped about it.  

I'm having hip replacement surgery Sept. 21, so he's got 5 days to get it done in 2B before I go on the shelf till the first week of November.  That 2D stand should be hot then though, like it was last year when he shot his 5 point with the crossbow.

Got 2 good looking 2.5 year old bucks on the 2D trail cam last week.  Haven't checked the 2B one yet.  

2023/09/08 08:21:22
eyesandgillz
Whoa dude, a little young for that!  But, my knee is so bad, that's the next step for me on that.  The lubrication injections finally lost their effectiveness.   
Doubt you'll be down as long as you think though....if u got a good ortho and do your therapy and push it, you'll be able to at least sit in a ground blind in a comfy chair in a couple weeks....won't be climbing no trees!

My neighbor, who has you by 25 years, was out golfing 2 weeks after his first hip replacement.   
Good luck with everything.
2023/09/08 10:20:51
snagr
It is early, but I had a rough time with the cortisone shot I had in December.  Made my hip feel great, but caused some cardiac problems for me for about 8 weeks, so I couldn't continue with those.  

I'm mentally preparing myself for the full 6 weeks so that if I'm getting out in the woods or on the water before then, it'll be a nice surprise.  But I have talked to several people who said it's amazing how much better they felt in even just a week after surgery.  
2023/09/18 09:18:23
eyesandgillz
Slept in sat morning and too hot in the afternoon.   Hoping to make it out an evening or two this week.
2023/09/19 11:26:02
eyesandgillz
First sit in the stand last night.   Was a little later than I wanted since I had to grab food for everyone.  Was at the base of my tree a little after 5pm (3/4 mile hike in) and before I could get the bottom section of my climber on the tree, had a doe and fawn coming in.  They got within 25 yds and started staring me down so I just stood up and took a couple steps toward them.  They boogered off down the hill and didn't snort (I saw 2 tails on the walk in too but I think they were bedded).  Get situated an 20 min. later, look down the hill through some thick stuff and see a deer, binocs up, decent buck...mabe 15" wide 8 pt., probably a 2 year old.  See a few more deer there (does/fawns) and the doe/fawns all work there way up under me while the buck works his way down the hill munching on acorns.  They milled around me for a solid half hour, worked their way downwind but I think I was high enough my wind was going over them and then they melted away.  About 30 min. before it was too dark to see my pins, another doe and 2 fawns come out below me and work their way from right to left about 30 yds away.  Decent first sit.  Had a trail cam. up about 50 yds from here that I set Friday and had 3 dozen vids, mostly doe/fawns but one flash of a nice buck that looked bigger/more mass than the one I saw.  Tons of acorns in this area and they were falling like crazy in the breeze.  One tree is a chinkapin oak....deer were loving those.  On the drive home, saw 8 doe/fawns and 4 bucks (all 1/5 yr olds) along the road.
2023/09/21 14:16:40
eyesandgillz
Buck tagged filled last night.  Still "recovering" from the recovery (way back in and he went down a steep hill so made it worse).  
10 pt., 6:45pm, he was with 2 other bucks, one a 9 pt. just about as big, def. wider but the 9's tones weren't as long and an 8 pt. that was smaller, but still a decent buck.

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
2023/09/21 15:42:05
snagr
Awesome job man! Is this the earliest you ever punched your buck tag?
2023/09/21 17:37:40
DarDys
Congrats! Super buck.
2023/09/21 17:39:45
eyesandgillz
Yep, 2 years ago got one on the second Saturday (I think) but this is def. The earliest.  My trail cam at this spot had a spike still in velvet on it from Tuesday.  Lots of activity in this area this year.  It was dead, dead, dead last year.  No acorns to speak of last year and TONS this year, with a decent oak flat and oak knob with several chestnut oaks....def. Their preference right now.  You have your surgery yet?

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account