2024/08/23 17:47:07
MyWar
psu_fish
MyWar
psu_fish
Unlike all of yinz, I actually work in Franklin and live close to Franklin....can assure you, this is not a new well or something an evil Republican did. But carry on. 

I really cant understand if people say stuff like this because they really dont get it, or if they are being deliberately obtuse. 

Why does it matter whether this one is new? And why does it matter if I live in Franklin?

When you have gas drilling, and oil wells, and mines everywhere, this is what happens. we are still having accidents and leaks from the stuff that has been sitting here for the last 100+ years, and republicans just want to keep building more and more. Do you not see the connection between "more oil wells" -> "more oil well leaks"? Or do you think the stuff they make now will just somehow last forever and never leak?   

Like seriously, how do you not look at this think "hmm, maybe we should stop using oil", or look at the thousands of miles of dead, orange creeks in PA and think "hmm, maybe we should stop using coal". 

You really are an ****clown. The very kayak you float down the river in, is made possible due to "big oil"

Ever look at a lithium mine or cobalt mine and think gee this is great for the environment? I m not even going to waste the bandwidth with you anymore. You wanna make EV's remotely possible, start allowing new nuclear reactors to be built...but its a scary word to the libs. Nuclear energy is cleaner and the only feasible solution. 

On one hand this response just boils down to whataboutism. You never actually addressed what I posted.

On the other hand you’re not wrong about the environmental costs of rare earth element mining. In addition, there are substantial human rights violations as well, for example the artisanal cobalt mining in the Congo is essentially modern day slavery, with child labor and extremely dangerous working conditions.

Much of that supply ends up in China, but alot of western industries have undertaken serious effort in trying to source materials ethically (even if it’s not always easy to do). The problem is that some of largest deposits of these rare earth elements are in third world countries, and therefore much easier to exploit.

Many of these materials can also be recycled as well. You can’t recycle oil, or natural gas, or coal. And if we are talking about things like lithium for EV batteries, then there is still no carbon footprint.

This is a complicated topic (as is nuclear energy), and it’s totally worth talking about. But simple fact that mining is dirty doesn’t mean we should just go back to coal. I’d say this is a chance for the US to demonstrate leadership and push for clean, ethical sourcing of these materials instead of just racing to the bottom, which the Republican Party has zero interest in doing.
2024/08/23 18:11:50
crappiefisher
ICE NUT
No more oil and coal well i guess we will all freeze to death.Don't worry Comrade Kamoola and Tampon Timmy will solve the problem

https://www.reuters.com/g...BIDEN/OIL/lgpdngrgkpo/

2024/08/23 18:16:58
crappiefisher

2024/08/23 18:33:26
MyWar
Porktown
The overwhelming majority of whale strikes are from large vessels either commercial or military size with vessels that don’t have the cockpits as close to the water to see whales. I didn’t notice any of that noted in the links you provided. I.e. it is pretty hard to not see a surfacing whale in a 35’ boat, which obviously don’t want to run into one. Which also happen to be much more maneuverable to avoid. The proposed bans are on vessels well under the size that would ever hit a whale. Which are the sizes primarily used by sportsmen in the area.

The proposals give some sort of nonenforceable clause to the windmill construction ships, well big enough with lower maneuverability to avoid whales.

Check out stripers online. There are hundreds of boat captains on there that would be able to speak a bit more firsthand, sportsmen wise about it.

Do you have alot of first hand experience with operating ocean vessels in the 35’-65’ ft range, specifically in regards to seeing and avoiding obstacles that might suddenly appear while under cruising speed?

I’m sure a bunch of fishermen on an online forum have things to say about the government. Whether those things are informed by facts or factual data is another question.

I’d be happy to look at any well sourced info you would like to provide.
2024/08/23 21:55:24
DeadGator401
crappiefisher

This was mind blowingly dumb, even for him. 

Taylor Swift is not a person to make your enemy. She has incredible power. She endorsed Biden in 2020, but there's a difference between endorsing your opponent, and her being your enemy. She has a history with AI stuff and she does not take kindly to it. 

They're scrambling. 
2024/08/28 20:45:51
Porktown
Anyone that follows the market knows cycles. Somehow old man, I mean OLD man Joe avoided a recession. With how OLD man Trump printed money during his presidency, then Covid, Trump throwing money at Covid (much higher stimulus than Biden), promising more if people voted for him, which Biden’s ancient mind thought would be a good idea to follow through with (and then blamed for inflation for doing). Regardless, the next President is about 95% chance of going to be leading during a recession. Why would you even want to. I swear half of what each party is doing positioning wise is, “oh well, you win this time and deal with that crap”. I mean, some of this stuff is almost obvious “don’t vote for me”. Or just how I am interrupting.

Trailing stop loss if you haven’t set one…
2024/08/29 01:20:57
DeadGator401
Porktown
Anyone that follows the market knows cycles. Somehow old man, I mean OLD man Joe avoided a recession. With how OLD man Trump printed money during his presidency, then Covid, Trump throwing money at Covid (much higher stimulus than Biden), promising more if people voted for him, which Biden’s ancient mind thought would be a good idea to follow through with (and then blamed for inflation for doing). Regardless, the next President is about 95% chance of going to be leading during a recession. Why would you even want to. I swear half of what each party is doing positioning wise is, “oh well, you win this time and deal with that crap”. I mean, some of this stuff is almost obvious “don’t vote for me”. Or just how I am interrupting.

Trailing stop loss if you haven’t set one…

That's easy for both - it's about stopping Trump and Project 2025, or simply power. 
2024/08/29 09:49:39
MyWar
Pretty sure there have been economists who have been predicting a recession since we recovered from the last one.

I don’t think a major recession occurs unless a major event triggers it, like COVID, or the housing market crash in 2008. A smaller recession might be more likely, like the one from the early 2000s or early 90s.

I think a recession can be avoided with careful fiscal management, or at least it’s impact can be blunted. And I sure don’t anticipate “careful fiscal management” from Trump or anybody that might serve in his cabinet. If there is a recession, we saw how good his crisis management skills were during his first term, didn’t we?
2024/08/29 12:10:10
r3g3
12 out of the last 16 years we have had democrats in charge--yea- its all Trumps fault - TDS 

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account