2022/09/01 08:56:08
eyesandgillz
Kind of slow around here....

Have two cameras out, only checked once after a 2 week set and only a couple small 8's, 6's and 4's, lots of doe/fawns and unfortunately, several coyotes and a guy walking his golden, twice.  lol

Need to check them again but lack of time making it tough and this having to go back into the office several days a week, dahntahn, is the big old stinko.  Did see a slammer, wallhanger 12 pt or so on the border of the property I hunt when I was leaving, after checking my cams.  Had a limp in his back leg but not too bad.  Had split G2's....tall, wide....not super heavy, and small brows but, I'd put him on the wall if I got lucky enough to harvest him.  Nice to know there is a nice one in the area.  

Hopefully my cameras will have more on them with the next pull.  Still need to set out a couple more cameras at my spot in West Deer and my spot in Jefferson Hills.  Where the heck did the summer go?
2022/09/01 09:46:10
fishin coyote
My cameras have been slow all summer on buck pics. I've seen only a couple small ones, so hopefully the bean field up the road dries out and the bucks will disperse to their fall pattern in the next couple of weeks
2022/09/01 13:34:48
Moses Guthrie
Did my first camera check last night. Have two 11 points, 3 8 pts, a 7 pt and few smaller bucks on video with a good bit of does. Camera was out for about a month. Things are looking promising.
2022/09/06 12:27:31
dpms
Nice to see someone around here interested in talking about hunting. I got one camera out which I probably won't check until after my hunt on the opener in the SRA, which is just 2 weeks away. The post office lost my first two doe tag applications so I have to run to the courthouse next week to get a few tags for 2B. Gonna get my clothes washed this upcoming weekend and set up my Ozone chamber. Probably shoot the crossbow a bit to make sure everything is still good to go. 

My honey hole in 2A where I have killed a bunch of bucks and does over the past 18 years was sold over the summer. The property was recently closed on so I have to try to make a run down and meet with the new landowner. I am not holding my breath as access is tough to come by these days. If I am denied access and hunting I hope they allow me to go in and get all of my stands. If not, I may be doing some stealth stand retrieval. It sucks to lose good spots but I have some back up areas. 
2022/09/06 12:35:10
eyesandgillz
Really would stink if the new landowner won't let you retrieve your stuff.  If you had advance notice of the pending sale though.....well....lol.

Second camera pull was highly disappointing.  Had 3x as many coyotes as bucks, and those bucks were small 1.5 yr olds.  Plenty of does/fawns though, esp. in the one spot, so I should be good to go come pre-rut.

Did see the same guy walking his dog in this same "good" spot so that may be why the bucks are staying away this year.  He did spot my camera this time so I guess it is a bonus that it was still there.   I'll be relocating it next check, if it is still there.  

Saw 2 yotes hot on the tail of a doe, mid-day, on my one camera.  Hopefully I see some of those bastages in range this season and I can get a shot off.  a couple of the yotes looked really big too.....

Probably need to start scouting out some of my older spots just in case.  Just hate to have to default to them with gas prices so high still.
2022/09/06 16:36:08
Moses Guthrie
I lost a lease I had till 3 years ago. My friends, family and I killed a ton of deer every year until I was told we were not welcome anymore. Was a blessing in disguise. There were landowner family changes the last hunting season I had access, so I could see it coming. Went researching and scouting hard that fall. Found quite a few places open to public hunting with great deer populations and minimal pressure. Wish I would have been looking earlier. Biggest bummer was losing 3 ladder stands.

As for this season prep. Need to wash clothes this weekend and hang some public land stands the weekend after. Then it is time to sit up in a tree for way too many hours.
2022/09/06 17:30:42
dpms
eyesandgillz
 If you had advance notice of the pending sale though.....well....lol.

I know. I am rolling the dice for sure. The good news is the fellow that bought it lives right down the road and knows the other property owners I have permission to hunt in the area. As far as I know, he lets people hunt his place but they are extended family. 
2022/09/10 12:12:11
thunderpole
These past weeks rain has had me scouting hard. As a roofer obviously I'm not working in the rain. So about mid August I got a fire under my****and started scouting hard. Iv put over 50 miles on my boots searching for deer. Countless hrs on maps escouting then walking the woods. All new areas to me Most being public and I firmly believe the hard work is gonna pull through. Few areas where busts but surprisingly most where gold mines. Low to zero hunter sign. And most importantly big bucks! And iv learned a ton. Back in July I deployed the cameras I had on the 2 farms I hunt. Well after a month I discovered 6 had finally broke. I ended up buying a few replacements and deployed them the past few weeks on oaks and scrapes. What iv learned.... look for producing oaks there's gonna be mid October deer activity. Be willing to work harder then the other guys. Some areas are kayak access. Waders or 3 mile hikes. To my surprise I'm not the only one paying attention. Iv found multiple cameras in very hard access areas I was shocked to see one. Iv also found what I believe is a giant living 100 yards off the rd. I found his bed, a shredded tree with blood and velvet on it. And a textbook scrape. Wich luckily I had a camera left to hang over. I got plans to acquire another 6-8 cams and deploy them into some of these areas until after rifle season to get a better idea about these new spots. To say the least I'm freaking jacked about this bow season. Iv never put in so much work in my life.
2022/09/13 17:40:38
CTKsnowman
I have two cameras I check regularly in my woods, nothing worth chasing has come by yet. However, this summer we had very large coyotes back there. Haven't seen them since July. I set 4 cameras up at another property I hunt, unfortunately I forgot the exact spot of two of them and the brush is doing a great job of hiding them from me. The other two had some decent bucks (6-8 point), and turkey wandering near my main stand. I'm going to ride back there Sunday and do a final inspection of my stands and hopefully locate and extract my missing trail cameras SD cards. 
2022/09/15 08:28:07
thunderpole
I always drop points on my cameras. Because iv lost them before well couldn't effectively relocate them lol .... best of luck to everyone may your quivers be full of bloody arrows. And long drags with big racks!

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account