2022/04/04 10:46:47
FishinGuy
spoonminnow
Thanks
Nice thing is being able to make most of the lu res shown - rigged on light jigs.

This one I designed after watching a video:
https://imgur.com/653KwKy

The shape and action should get at least a few strikes.

Can you elaborate a bit on those jig heads? Specifically what looks like the bait keeper? That a home made, or commercial design? I assume you're a fan of it.
2022/04/04 11:42:04
spoonminnow
Like many anglers that use soft plastics and jigs, after a while they slide down - especially with no-collar jigs which do the least damage. (I get mine from Ebay and Amazon). I discovered the grub grip over 10 years ago and also use it on my skirted bass jigs with trailers (more on that later.) What you need:
Coated wire - the kind used for artificial flower arrangements) - can be bought anywhere.
24g is the best for most jig weights.

Pliers and wire cutters to tighten the wire under the eye tie.

1. Cut the wire as shown so that one end is near the curve of the hook but of equal length on both sides of the line tie:

2. Wrap the wire once around tightly with the pliers:

3. Clip one part of the wire close:

4. Bend the remaining wire as shown. This will swing in and out of the plastic but holds no matter how many fish you catch:

5. ...and the wire never affects the bite:

I use it for all soft plastics rigged on jig heads.

2022/04/04 11:47:46
spoonminnow
I use the same wire for skirted jig trailer that are nose-hooked:
1. put the trailer on the hook
2. wrap the wire once around
3. stick the wire ends into the plastic.

It allows the best trailer action and keeps it on the hook.
No one to my knowledge has ever tried the above methods no matter how many times I've posted it. You might be the first.
2022/04/04 13:45:18
pensfan1
That is genius!! Tyvm👍💪
2022/04/04 16:07:40
spoonminnow
If I'm forced to buy jigs of a certain wt./hook size that has collar, I flatten it with pliers and cut it off with wire cutters. Then I install the grub grip wire.
Hope you give it a try. U won't be sorry. 
Frank
2022/04/04 17:55:07
pensfan1
I'm definitely going to give it a try. They slide down , especially when chewed to shreds.
2022/04/04 18:39:13
spoonminnow

2022/04/04 18:43:08
spoonminnow

Just make sure of the wire guage. Too thin and it might not hold as well; too thick and it's harder to wrap tight around the eye tye base. Plus, better that the wire is too long than too short. I make it long enough so the L inserts half way down the lure's body.
2022/04/05 12:12:37
FishinGuy
Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a go. My favorite jig heads don't have keepers on them and adjusting constantly is a pain. I appreciate the detailed response.
2022/04/05 12:31:11
spoonminnow

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account