2022/03/01 12:21:34
dpms
DarDys
I’ve always had the urge for a single shot rifle. Back when, the Browning was the jewel.

I bought a TC Encore frame some years ago. Since then I added a 22/250 and 7mm magnum rifle barrels to my collection and a 454 Casull pistol barrel. I carried the 454 and the 22/250 a bit this past deer season. 
2022/03/01 15:29:52
DarDys
What is the recoil like with the 454?
2022/03/01 16:23:52
psu_fish
Perhaps a 350 Legend is in order for shots of 125 yards and in. 
2022/03/01 16:30:12
DarDys
I’m looking for the suppressor to reduce the recoil to zero. That’s probably not happening in that caliber, even if I could find a rifle chambered for it, which may be impossible if I cannot find a more popular.308
2022/03/30 09:53:53
bigfoot
Have you made up your mind yet?
2022/03/30 11:16:25
DarDys
Yeah, no, sort of, maybe — lol.

I’m leaning toward the 6.5 simply because more stores have those in stock, so I could make a decision on a rifle and get one almost instantly, which would provide me with the thread pattern information I need to get the suppressor process rolling.

Under the conditions I intend to use this rifle, I think this decision on caliber might be one of “dead is dead and one doesn’t kill a deer any deader than the other.”

At this point, though, I am in the process of divesting myself of three guns — I don’t use them anymore; haven’t shot them in 10 years; have no one to pass them on to upon death — that I will use to finance this new rifle/scope/suppressor set-up.

I’ve put some feelers out, but no takers yet. There is a gun show a buddy does in April that I can take them to that may have a wider audience. But I also got offers to sell them to guns.com. The offer on one is slightly more than what I had as a target price. The offer on a second one is 8% less than what I had in mind (although I pulled my value out of my butt with no real data, do they might be correct). Still waiting for an offer on the third (expect that today),

Does anyone have any experience with guns.com, particularly selling yo them?

The last thing I want to do is ship guns to them, they do and inspection (that is the process), and come back with a lower value based on some degree of cosmetics (I was completely honest about the one having “hunting scratches and marks, they other two are pristine), and they are holding my gun hostage unless I agree to the new value.
2022/04/01 12:06:38
DarDys
Well, pulled the trigger on a rifle yesterday (pun definitely intended).

I made the mistake of taking my wife to look at rifles and she just fell in love with the Christensen Mesa in the green stock with the bronze cerakote barrel and action. It didn’t hurt that I actually liked the feel of the rifle.

They had the Zeiss Conquest V 4-14X50mm scope with the illuminated reticle that I wanted, so putting a package together, minus the suppressor, was available. The only question was on trade value for the guns I wanted to divest myself of. I set a limit on taking a hit of no more than $300 in total (didn’t care how it broke down gun to gun)below what I was offered by guns.com because it would save me shipping them and dealing with a company I, nor anyone I know, has dealt with.

On gun 1, they came in less than $50 shy of what I was offered.

On gun 2, they were off by $185, but this was the gun I was concerned about having hunting blemishes that might have been an issue (it is rated at about 90%, but that is so subjective) once I shipped it.

On gun 3, they weren’t even in the ballpark — coming in at about 50% of value and of what I was offered. That one went back home with me to be shipped if the one lead I have falls through. I might try to trade it at the gun shop where I’ll get the suppressor.

The rifle is a 6.5 Creedmore because that is what they had and because my wife liked it (they had one in stock).

Now off to do the 50 shot barrel break-in. If anyone has ammo suggestions, I’m all ears.
2022/08/02 10:43:39
Jtanner
DarDys

They had the Zeiss Conquest V 4-14X50mm scope with the illuminated reticle that I wanted, so putting a package together, minus the suppressor, was available. The only question was on trade value for the guns I wanted to divest myself of. I set a limit on taking a hit of no more than $300 in total (didn’t care how it broke down gun to gun)below what I was offered by guns.com because it would save me shipping them and dealing with a company I, nor anyone I know, has dealt with.

Really nice choice, Zeiss is a banger scope manufacturer. Regarging 6.5 Creedmore - it's fine. Pretty much just that. Got very popular and now every ammo maker company has those in stock which is nice. Overall, it's pretty good round, but severely overhyped imo. Personally, I'm mostly running .308. I have a bunch of good quality 9mm ammo in my disposal since most of my carries like https://gritrsports.com/springfield-armory/ or Emissary, and even Hellcat - are all in 9mm. It's somewhat convinient to shop for same caliber for both you everyday carry and hunting.
2022/08/08 18:51:00
DarDys
I put 24 rounds through it using the Christensen break-in method. First group was 3/4, last one was 3/8, sand bad rest only. It was cool to see the groups tighten up as the process was followed.

I plan on finishing the break-in as stipulated, but want to wait until my suppressor is released to me to see if that makes any difference. Yesterday was 4 months since e-form application. It was promised by the ATF that the wait time using the electronic system would be no more than 3 months. The quickest I personally know of is 5 months.

As for the 6.5, no idea what it will do on a deer, but I did find it interesting that the point of impact for the 129 grain and 143 grain that I tested was identical at 100 yards. That may, probably, will change at longer distances, but I’m not to that point in testing yet.
2022/08/09 07:44:37
Jtanner
DarDys
As for the 6.5, no idea what it will do on a deer, but I did find it interesting that the point of impact for the 129 grain and 143 grain that I tested was identical at 100 yards. That may, probably, will change at longer distances, but I’m not to that point in testing yet.

That sounds a bit odd, but yeah, I'd assume 143 grain should perform better at longer distance. Let me know if you try it out at higher range, since my 6.5 is at another state currently: my dad took it for his hunting trip(he wanted to try it out for a long time, just couldn't stop by before hunting season before)

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account