2021/12/01 16:28:04
dpms
Well you folks are a chatty bunch, lol. Not one post about their rifle deer adventures or successes. I was at camp for 4 days. While I had doe tags, I was not interested in filling any of them yet. We had 5 guns and went 0/5 on bucks despite the guys seeing 5 legal bucks. They all hunt just a few days of the year and still want to hunt the same stands they did 20 years ago when the deer were pressured and running through the wide open woods. Now, in our area, there is little pressure and the deer are naturally moving and feeding in the thicker areas where they were not able to get shots or they were too far. Meanwhile I am sitting in my archery stands and all of the deer I see were within 30 yards. I try to tell the guys they need to hunt tighter but they want the visibility. 

Anyways, we got one coyote for our efforts. Very little shooting and very little pressure. 

Anybody see success on opening weekend? 
2021/12/01 17:02:53
Mountian Man
Saw a tree rat.
2021/12/01 17:16:21
DarDys
A harvested (killed, whatever) an 8-point. It was following 3 does, but not dogging them. I talked to 6 other hunters in the immediate area and the only deer they saw was the one on my carrier.

There was some degree of shooting in that 1/2 mile away or more zone, but less than a dozen shots within 800 or so yards.
2021/12/01 18:33:51
r3g3
congrats DD
2021/12/01 20:48:20
fishin coyote
I saw 28 doe and 5 bucks(3 legal)on the opener couldn’t get any shots on them. Sunday I saw 19 doe and a 4pt. Gave a big doe a free ride in the back of my SxS. My wife also got a big doe.
2021/12/02 09:48:00
dpms
Congrats Dar!!
2021/12/03 06:54:38
thunderpole
First morning I hunted till 10 seen 5 bucks 1 was legal and a giant doe I couldn't shoot because of a house. The band got back together on Tuesday to push. We got an 8pt and 7 does. I shot 2 does passed on a few tiny deer and had a red fox come to 15 feet before spooking. Had that 8pt come to 7 yards stop and look at me. (That would never happen if I had a buck tag) really wish my gf would come hunt. She was sick that day ,and Saturday she was few hundred yards to my right. If she wasn't afraid of heights she could of shot that buck Saturday. Heard probably close to 200 shots by 10 on first day so if ammo wasn't in short supply it is now lol
2021/12/03 08:33:39
eyesandgillz
I have been nice and warm at my desk working away and sipping coffee all these hunting mornings!  Congrats to those that got deer.  

After the thundersticks get put away, I may try some late season small game or just do some late season scouting to see what's left around a couple of my areas.  May put a cam or two back out too.  Miss the hiking in the woods and my Holiday belly is saying I need to get back out there and put some miles on my boots!
2021/12/04 09:30:58
hot tuna
Passed on a lot of nice good bucks with the crossbow due to poor shot selections.
Opening gun it was game over as I'll take that easy 50 yard shot with a rifle.
3 guys hunting high mountain private property. Never heard another shot all season except from us.
Took a 9pt opening day, an 8pt 6 days later and passed on a 10pt the following day due to tag was filled the day before.
We seen a LOT of young and mature bucks.
Very few doe. If you seen a doe, there was surely a buck on her heals.
I know EHD has taken a huge toll on the lower more southern areas but we found no indications of it where we hunt.
The future looks very good next year with the crop of deer we passed on .

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
2021/12/04 16:32:59
r3g3
Great trip Rich congrats ---
Been out 4 times for a total of about 12 hours -seen nothing
Barely able to walk in and out- in late leave early- Might be all done this year -
Hoping for a good surgical result for next years fishing and hunting

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account