2021/10/14 12:17:18
Porktown
I want to fish this weekend, but I have a feeling I'd be posting a similar report to Rippinlip.  If that one cat was a guarantee, it might be enough...  Next week forecast is saying 70s after the weekend cool down.  I have a feeling we may skip fall this year.  If I am shoveling snow before I have a fish fry, I am not going to be happy.
2021/10/14 15:34:45
rippinlip
I couldn't locate fish in the usual spots. My guess they are in transition or the lake is fixing to turnover. The only place I didnt try was shallow bays. Seen a lot of baitfish in those areas but they were super small ....like fathead size. Just born? I dunno but there were a lot.
2021/10/14 16:55:55
Porktown
Was the water still pea green when you were out?
2021/10/14 19:55:26
rippinlip
Not really. In fact I haven
't seen it that clean looking in a while. The clarity was such that I could see a a Rapala while retreiving it. I'm not giving up on the lake for the year yet. If you are there when they put the feedbag on for Winter it is great fishing.

2021/10/15 07:20:27
pensfan1
With temps FINALLY taking a little slid, I'd say she should square away within the end of next week. Guess it'll be time for me to get that boat rigged for local fishing. Enjoy and stay safe out there.
2021/10/15 12:32:00
TheBlueLagoon
KJN
What's you guys go to set up for perch.  Live bait?  Minnow or crawlers?
or is it soft plastic?
 I seem to get best action on crawlers / worms.

As Porktown said it's good to have all. I have great success on a quarter pinched crawler on a trout magnet jig head under a float. As said, sometimes they just want minnows. Problem is I usually start my day long before the bait shops open, it's a pain in the****to pack up and leave to go get bait, but I will do it if everything else isn't working. I also use the 1" gulp alive minnow on a trout magnet jig head with good success. I keep 3 colors, the emerald, chartruese and smelt. The 2" gulp is also fantastic but I have trouble finding them. It should start soon, I can't wait to get out and wade around. 
2021/10/15 13:30:29
Porktown
I buy 5-6 doz minnows and keep them in my garage in a larger tupperware bin.  They stay pretty well when the temps get cooler.  I run an aquarium filter and aerator and feed them goldfish food.  My kids get a kick out of feeding them and have had years where they'll want to put a few in an aquarium.  I had a stickleback in one of my minnow orders.  Pulled him out and put in the aquarium.  Lasted over a year!  RIP Spike.
2021/10/15 14:03:15
MyWar
TheBlueLagoon
KJN
What's you guys go to set up for perch.  Live bait?  Minnow or crawlers?
or is it soft plastic?
 I seem to get best action on crawlers / worms.

As Porktown said it's good to have all. I have great success on a quarter pinched crawler on a trout magnet jig head under a float. As said, sometimes they just want minnows. Problem is I usually start my day long before the bait shops open, it's a pain in the****to pack up and leave to go get bait, but I will do it if everything else isn't working. I also use the 1" gulp alive minnow on a trout magnet jig head with good success. I keep 3 colors, the emerald, chartruese and smelt. The 2" gulp is also fantastic but I have trouble finding them. It should start soon, I can't wait to get out and wade around. 

Do you have trouble with small bluegill constantly smacking those 1/2 crawlers? I always have problem when I use night crawlers at Arthur.
2021/10/15 15:53:50
Porktown
If there is a gill within 20 yards of a chunk of nightcrawler hitting the water, they will find it...  I have had some really good (limited bluegill) days with crawler chunks.  My largest largemouth out of Arthur was on that chunk of crawler threaded on a 1/32 jighead combo, sort of like a trout magnet head.  It isn't consistent for me, but if they are just sucking on the minnows and not eating them and taking your bobber under, a crawler chunk is usually a good option.  They seem to not mess around like that with the crawler.  Either eat it or don't pay attention to it.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account