2021/10/06 14:05:09
TheBlueLagoon
Anyone having any luck on the perch up Arthur? haven't had a chance to get out yet, but October has been great in the past. Can't wait to wade the weed lines for some jumbos!
2021/10/06 14:46:19
Porktown
I have not.  I usually do better when things cool off a bit more.  When the weeds start to die and holes in the weed lines start.  The past few weeks have been an extension of summer, but the nights have been chilly.  Not sure if that will throw things off or not?  It looks like next week is doing the same, then finally turning to fall.  It might just go to winter though...  

Last year was rough for me.  4-5 trips and none of them were more than 4-5 fish.  Usually, I have at least one banner day of fish on every other cast with a few okay days of 20 or so fish (half being smaller).  I didn't even get one of those last year.  Not sure if it is from the pressure the lake got last year or what it was?  My crappie season this spring was similar.  Although I did have a few okay days, but no banner days.  The night bite during late spring was the worst that I have had in close to 20 years of doing it.  Hopefully things improve!
2021/10/07 12:52:28
TheBlueLagoon
I agree, this spring was awful. It could of been the extreme temp changes or even the lack of rain/water probably being more likely. Last fall I did extremely well around the bear run launch and some 528 areas of the lake for perch. Lot's of dink's but if you stuck around long enough there was some big em's to be had. Hopefully I can get out and see what's happening. I appreciate the reply.
2021/10/08 21:01:46
Porktown
I was there today, no perch for me. It is still pea soup. My temp gauge wasn’t working, but would guess the highs near 80 are likely keeping the temp in the mid 60s. I think we need more in the 50s. 14 day forecast should have things in better shape.

I think you are right about the spring, but the lake got hammered during the Covid restrictions. Outdoors and able to stay away from crowds. There were literally boat loads of people fishing ever time I was out, especially last year and into this spring. Today seemed like a typical fall Friday for boats, except it felt much more like early September than October weather wise.
2021/10/12 08:20:55
CTKsnowman
TheBlueLagoon
Anyone having any luck on the perch up Arthur? haven't had a chance to get out yet, but October has been great in the past. Can't wait to wade the weed lines for some jumbos!

We caught four last Sunday to the left of the McDanels Boat Launch in about 8 FOW. 
2021/10/12 12:08:29
TheBlueLagoon
yikes guys, sounds like the bite is not quite on yet. I have younger kids, seems like always something, haven't been able to make it up there yet. Guess its for the better. I think Porktown is right, need some cooler weather to get things moving. 
2021/10/13 12:36:30
KJN
What's you guys go to set up for perch.  Live bait?  Minnow or crawlers?
or is it soft plastic?
 I seem to get best action on crawlers / worms.
2021/10/13 13:40:27
Porktown
It is good to have all.  If biting on plastics, I prefer.  Mainly because I am lazy and don't want to keep putting on new bait.  If they are interested in worms instead, I am just fine.  Unfortunately, when the water gets colder and the temps follow, they seem to want minnows 75% of the time in my experience.  You can dress nice and toasty, then put your hands in cold water and it all goes away...  I have done well with some baby bluegill flies that I have tied up as well.  It seems they are in the weeds chasing them around along with I'm sure other baitfish.  I have read there are invertebrates and other organisms that they eat in there too. 
2021/10/14 10:05:36
CTKsnowman
We were using fatheads on 1/16th jig heads, that's pretty much the only thing I have luck with on that lake. 
2021/10/14 11:23:57
rippinlip
I spent the whole day at Moraine yesterday on the toon. One bluegill and one catfish. I fished plastis and threw lures. I didn't mark much on the fishfinder in the spots I fished. I saw 2 eagles eating a fish on a downed tree and a flock of turkeys. Weather was windy and overcast till about an hour before dark.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account