2021/09/26 20:28:20
fishin coyote
Very nice, I like the big ole crab claw 
2021/09/27 00:09:09
r3g3
great buck
2021/09/27 07:08:52
eyesandgillz
Not my biggest but a decent 3.5 yr old (my est.).  Spread lacking a little but he had decent mass and beam length and I liked the way his mains almost touch in front.  Said to myself, if I'd shoot him on the last day, I probably shouldn't pass him today.  Earliest I have ever shot a buck.

Hunted near here Thursday evening and only saw a guy, walking his black lab, twice, in the last hr. (coming and going on the ATV trail).  Took my bow for a scouting walk on Friday, mid-day and wouldn't you know it, way down in, walked up on this buck or maybe the one he was with, about 45 yds away through some thick stuff.  No shot but did snap a pic with my phone.  He finally hopped off when he couldn't stand it anymore (5-6 min. staring at each other).  I slowly worked my way over to where he was at on an overgrown atv trail and right at an intersection, there was a huge 8' diameter community scrape already opened up and well used, several old, last year scrapes leading into this area on the trails, some crabapple trees...I back out and head up over the hill and about 200 yds above this area, an oak flat with tons of white oaks and tons of acorns dropping.  Knew where I was going on Saturday night. 
Set-up in a big triple trunk maple and thought I was golden.  Between the leaves and the triple trunks, lots of concealment.  Well, I guess not enough.  The brother of this one pops out at 520pm below me on the hill about 50 yds away eating acorns.  I watch, try to get a pic or two and then I notice a deer closer, about 35 yds on the hill.  It is this guy.  I did not budge at all, just watching, bow in hand..and this guy picks me out.  He gets nervous and they both prance out the hillside and out of site.  Have no idea how he saw me as half my body was covered by a tree trunk and tons of leaf cover behind me.  Now, I was only 15'-18' high due to the leaves but still.  
Anyways, curiosity got the best of him and he circled around getting downwind of me but must have misjudged as when he came in, he was a little less then 20 yds away and I think the steady breeze was blowing my scent over him.  He did check me out again, doing the head bob and fake look away and look back real quick.  I must have stayed still enough to have him relax, start eating, get his head behind a tree, I draw and made a good shot.  Anchored him high on left and out low on right.  Must have nicked the spine then deflected downward.  No tracking...just a hellish drag.  Hopefully I can get both my kids on bucks this year.  Last year for my daughter as a Jr. hunter.
2021/09/27 07:58:58
dpms
eyesandgillz
Not my biggest but a decent 3.5 yr old (my est.).  Spread lacking a little but he had decent mass and beam length and I liked the way his mains almost touch in front.  Said to myself, if I'd shoot him on the last day, I probably shouldn't pass him today.  Earliest I have ever shot a buck.

Great buck!! Congrats again. 
2021/09/27 10:39:11
r3g3
Only ever found one true community scrape-it was HUGE with trees all around rubbed all over-
My sons and I took 3 nice bucks in close proximity to that scrape in 2 weeks and saw numbers of lesser bucks and numerous doe come to it and hang around and bed during the day.
Scrape was as big as a table top and really torn up.
2021/09/27 12:06:02
eyesandgillz
r3, exact description of this one.  I will be checking it again later this year, video camera in hand.  Need to see if there is a way to hunt it with a ground blind with the kids.  Looks like a primo. spot to file away for the future.....
2021/09/27 16:39:37
r3g3
The general area where I found this one had scrapes of different deer from season to season -
however we had the only permits to hunt there and there was no competition to ruin things.
Make my ground blinds thick with a roof overhead from Oak limbs holding leaves

2021/10/02 21:40:48
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Beautiful buck eyes! Like how the beams almost touch.

My opening day started out this afternoon. Had 3 doe and 4 fawns covering me off and on from 4-7. Passed numerous shots on the does anywhere from 5-20yds. One of the fawns was a button buck that was feeling pretty frisky running all around and trying to mount the does here and there. Was highly entertaining. Overall a great first sit.
2021/10/03 14:22:54
dpms
I only hunted in the am on the general opener. Seen zero deer. Buddy of mine shot a P&Y in the morning. 
2021/10/04 12:19:03
thunderpole
Started the opener with a grumpy stomach so I went back to sleep. Headed out in the evening to smack a doe. I seen 4 bucks zero doe. A spike and 3 other bucks 1 big 6 a basket 8 and the big 7. All pranced the edge of the corn right at the end about 40-50 yards. No shot but I figured it was my best chance at that 7. Hes the biggest buck on that property this year. I got 2 ideas this evening for him. Either im right or wrong lol. Or hopefully a big nanny comes by and is getting the ironwill treatment. Either way it feels great to be in a tree again, early goose is behind us and ducks begin this Saturday. 👍🍻 here's to hopefully another kick****season. Gonna be hard to top last year, early goose was the best I ever had..... good luck out there

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account