2021/09/19 08:41:37
dpms
Post up your hunts or successes. 

I hit the woods yesterday for the very warm opener in the SRAs. It was a great day even though I never sent an arrow. Seen 11 does and passed up two shots at big mommas at 21 and 12 yards. One in the morning and one in the evening. Both had fawns in tow and I just couldn't bring myself to killing them at this point in the season.  I always hope to have a dry doe come past. Makes me wonder why I get up, drive to my spot, do all of he prep work to not shoot when the opportunity arises. That seems to happen more frequently as I get older. 

Another highlight was before it got light. I could hear a screech owl making its call, which is not a hoot like a typical owl. As more light came, I caught movement and the little bugger landed on a limb next to me. We studied each other for a few minutes then off he went. I have not seen one in some time even though I hear them occasionally. That was a cool encounter. Cool little buggers that not many people have ever seen.  
2021/09/20 09:00:01
woodnickle
Yes it's not about the kill it's the experience and nature. I too feel the same about getting old. I pass on alot of deer. Have seen a guy dragging out this small 8 point that I could have shot but not what I want. He was happy and I was happy for him. Just being out is my reward. But this year I am going after a really nice buck. He is well above 200 lbs. If I get him it will probably be my last hunt.. awesome getting old but not so with the aches that goes with it. Good luck to you
2021/09/20 17:14:11
snagr
woodnickle, that's a great perspective.  

I find myself as I get older that I get a lot more joy out of watching my boys (11 & 17) enjoy hunting and fishing more than I actually do from doing it myself.  I still hunt pheasants and ducks with enthusiasm with my older son and his lab.  If it wasn't for the 11 year old, I'd be in the deer woods a lot less than I am.  Probably still do it here and there, but birds are my first love when it comes to hunting and have been since I got my first lab 15 years ago.  

We'll hit a 2B spot later this week when the weather cools off a little.  No way I could drag myself into the woods when it's 80 degrees out like it was Saturday!  With how bad I sweat in the heat, a deer would have smelled me from a mile away.  
2021/09/24 09:32:11
dpms
Sat last night and seen 3 does that were too far. Thought this morning would be a good movement day with the cooler temps but only saw one deer and could not tell what it was.
2021/09/25 23:13:53
eyesandgillz
Tagged a 9 point tonight. 1/4 mile drag uphill to a gas well that i could get my truck back to. That was over 1/2 mile drive back. If my Garmin watch is right, my stand was .8 miles from where I parked my truck. Man, I need to get a deer cart. Shot him early, 545 pm. There was another with him about the same size.
2021/09/26 07:14:36
fishin coyote
Congratulations eyes, pictures??
2021/09/26 08:38:22
dpms
eyesandgillz
Tagged a 9 point tonight. 

Awesome. I was at my daughters Homecoming at college but it sure felt like a great time to be in the stand. 

Congrats. Looking forward to some pics hopefully. 
2021/09/26 10:59:44
Moses Guthrie
Congrats! I spent the day hanging stands on public land in 2D.

As far as a deer cart, check out the hawk crawler. Some of my drags are over 2 miles, I have owned a few carts and this is the best one I have found. Can handle two deer at once if properly loaded and does great going over down branches etc. I think Midway has them on sale now.
2021/09/26 16:18:04
DarDys
Congrats eyes!
2021/09/26 20:05:23
eyesandgillz
Lets see if this works. Couldn't get the pics to load from my phone yesterday.  
Was cutting firewood all day today...

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account