2020/03/07 07:23:11
dpms
I figured I would start the traditional spring gobbler hunting thread to post up what you are hearing, seeing, and hopefully killing. 

Spring is springing earlier and earlier in this corner of the state. Forthysia has the yellow tinge of budding out already. Daffodil greens are up 4 inches. The turkeys are in their breeding groups. Been watching a flock for about a month now. They have moved into their traditional breeding and nesting area as of 3 weeks ago. Currently there are 4 longbeards strutting their stuff with about 12 hens. 

Only 2 more months to go before Pennsylvanians get to start basically the latest spring gobbler season in the nation. 
2020/03/07 08:48:39
BeenThereDoneThat.
Sorry Gene..... House rules, NO spot burning.😁 But, good luck this season.

For comparison purposes, (or reading upon the throne) some younz might find the following info of interest.

https://www.outdooralabama.com/turkey-season.

For inquiring minds needing to know.

ALABAMA NON-RESIDENT.

2019-2020 ANNUAL LICENSES - Valid Sept. 1 - Aug. 31

Hunting

All Game (All species - including deer and/or turkey)
Annual - $320.30
10-Day Trip - $197.85
3-Day Trip- $139.60
Small Game (All species - excluding deer and/or turkey)
Annual - $104.60
10-Day Trip - $63.85
3-Day Trip- $46.30
Baiting Privilege - $51.00 ⬅⬅😳 (catch any all yall attention.) Coming soon..... to a state near you. 🙉
2020/03/07 10:26:20
DarDys
Ha three gobblers, all with their beards dragging on the ground, last week.

I don’t hunt them, but they are cool to see.
2020/03/08 18:53:55
dpms
Took a walk this morning scouting for deer and trimming stands. Heard a gobbler go off about 10am. Also saw that the maples are budding out already in this corner of the state. Gonna be an early spring for sure. 
2020/03/08 20:14:11
fishin coyote
A couple of the longbeards in the local group of gobblers that visit my backyard every day are starting to beat up on the jakes. 
2020/03/09 09:57:33
eyesandgillz
Heck with the daffodils, the tulips out in front of my house are already 4-5" tall....
Hoping to find some time to take the youngins' out for their early season but time is at a premium with all their sports.  Besides, my turkey calling is el stinko.....but can't shoot one sitting on the couch!
2020/03/09 10:19:06
BeenThereDoneThat.
eyes I find it hard to believe your "calling" is elstinko???

Heck neighbor get one them push button squawk box. Tape it to the fore arm of your gun and go have yourself some fun.

Just don't do like me and overtalk 😖errrrrr....... over call.😆

I ain't never shot a single bird but I've had me some real chyts & giggles from stupid stuff I've done over the years. ahhhhh the memories..... stupid turkey's.🙉

Heck, get yourself an Owl hooter, load the kids in the car and stop along some country roads after sunset and hit the Owl hooter. Ya don't have to talk like an owl.... just sound like one.

A crow call will get results in the morning, before flydown.

If there's turkey in the area, younz will know it.
2020/03/10 09:46:09
dpms
Forsythia just popped here yesterday. Might be over before it starts around here. 
2020/03/10 12:57:01
BloodyHand
found a new spot with a bazillion turkeys. I'm sure they will all be gone come May. Stupit myth bird.

BH
2020/03/12 09:23:35
DarDys
A friend texted me yesterday that as he was driving by on the highway, which is elevated, there were 20+ turkeys in the field across the creek from my treehouse.

It will be interesting to see how many of them make it. Every May/June, the Bald Eagles move in for a few weeks and everything starts to disappear — young turkeys, baby groundhogs, fawns (?), baby geese and ducks on the neighbor’s pond, etc.

Last time there were a number of turkeys here — 11 poults, 4 hens, 2 gobblers (seen regularly) — the eagles moved in and by the time they left, there were the gobblers, 1 hen, and 1 poult.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account