2020/02/22 17:37:06
mr.crappie
All year, people question the finances of the PGC,last month's issue of the pa.game news had their budget in it.Yet I have seen no remarks on this site. Hard to believe that there were no questions.  sam
2020/02/24 08:22:52
dpms
Getting any remarks on the hunting boards on this site is like pulling teeth these days. I try to keep the hunting boards active but participation sucks. 
2020/02/24 08:28:08
psu_fish
I am indifferent when it comes to the PGC. I barely hunt anymore. Fishing takes up most of my free time.
2020/02/24 09:57:36
DarDys
dpms
Getting any remarks on the hunting boards on this site is like pulling teeth these days. I try to keep the hunting boards active but participation sucks. 

I’m not sure that actually applies in this case. I don’t get the Game News, so I would not see the budget there. And I don’t have enough interest in the PGC budget to seek it out from other sources (unless our local outdoor writer puts something in their column about it and I happen to read the column that week).

IMHO, the PGC stopped caring about their customers a long time ago, so they are going to do with their budget what the current leadership wants to do with it regardless of what those who pay for it think or want.

An example is the regional land managers deciding the best way to spend their labor. Locally, the land workers were told to stop mowing any paths in the pheasant stocking areas, even though some of it is head high and not conducive to even walking through, let alone effectively hunting. When the worker cut some paths, even though they did it on their own time and used their own fuel (but did use PGC equipment), they were threatened with termination, not because of not following orders, but because cutting those paths cut down on the seeds available for the song bird population.

Another example would be another regional land manager ignoring the recommendation of the local WCO and biologist, along with the request of hunters to remove some of the autumn olive trees (which provide no food) from a pheasant hunting area because they had grown to a height that was impeding hunting. The requests were made year after year, but were turned down, even if the interested hunters were willing to volunteer to do the work. The rationale was that the trees provided safe nesting areas for song birds and would not be touched as long as they ran the area. About 2/3 of the reasonable hunting area has been lost due to the impenetrable olive trees. But the song birds are doing just fine.

So looking at the budget would do no good except to raise my blood pressure unnecessarily.
2020/02/24 10:52:18
bubbaman
I agree they are always crying about lack of funds, cutting back on this or that , with all the sportsman groups in the sate , it's an untapped resource , im sure they would get a lot of volunteers to help with projects if they would just get off their high horse and accept the help, but maybe keeping the agency in the red is their idea of a way to get control of license fee increases , but with so much corruption in our state agencies and bad performance, you can't just give a blank check and say do what you think is best, when it shows they cant handle money , like the recent audit that found numerous money accounts they said they where unaware of . Who has money in accounts they don't know about or forgot, especially when it really is not yours. do  they need a raise in license fees, yes  I feel they do , but not a blank check like they want by being able to set increases themselves 
2020/02/24 13:22:28
dpms
Like most state agencies, crushing pension and benefit obligations are their biggest expense. This is why I oppose any license increase. I am done supporting any tax and/or fee increase in this state until there is a massive pension overhaul. In the private sector, when a company struggles to meet pension obligations, several things often happen. The company files for bankruptcy, sells, or the retirees lose part or all of their pensions. In the public sector, there is special protection and the taxpayers are the ones getting screwed. 

For the record, I understand that the PGC has no control over pension obligations, but as a state agency, they are tied to the state's policies. 
2020/02/24 14:26:48
BeenThereDoneThat.
I didn't respond because I thought, I would mind my own business (😏), but since you asked.

Let em eat [crow] cake or as the ole hunter once said.... they made their [crow feather] bed, let em lie in it.

Perhaps Mr. Gary Alt should be consulted..... for a small stipend, of course.
2020/02/24 15:21:03
dpms
The PGC is also one of the best funded game agencies in the country, currently. 
2020/02/24 20:02:59
r3g3
Most insolvent Govt Pensions that I encountered in my political elected days are now overburdensome because the 
govt itself  failed to comply within the guidelines of its own long haul contractual contributions.
One I know of went so far as to take employee contributions for years and incorporate them into the 'general fund' resulting in nice appearing end of year budgets but little to no balances in the 'pension fund"-- those were good fiscal years and they got away with it.
Nowadays those empty funds are an annual drag on contractual Govt  responsibilities, and all too often kinda blamed on the employees rather than the Govt agencies causing the near default in underfunded obligations.
The present elected or appointed managers all too often say 'welll weee didn't do that it was done decades ago'.
Not good enough for ineptitude over decades. 
Also a real big drag on the funds was the Govt itself' borrowing' from the funds thus never allowing for the actuarial predicted  interest to build and make them solvent- All the while with employees having their rightful contributions deducted weekly over their whole careers.
As one whos pension is VERY close to  solvency I must say it was only allowed to happen by virtue of an employee Lawsuit against the Govt agency responsible and clear mismanagement readily proven wherein the Court mandated huge annual contributions by said Agency-
Also blamed each and every year on the employees by most casual observers.

2020/03/05 16:01:28
CAPTAIN HOOK
Seems they have money to hire professional snipers to wipe out herds of deer . Wonder what that entails as far as total costs ? Imagine paying to get rid of 1500 deer carcasses plus pay to have them shot by pros. Bad thing is the problem will still exists even after all that !  

I'd like to see the estimated budget costs for this ......just for curiosity.  

It's a mess and I'm not criticizing ....yet ....just curious . 

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account