2020/01/09 18:08:01
mr.crappie
Seems to be squirrels everywhere with this crazy weather in the South West Pa. area is anyone getting any?  sam
2020/01/09 21:54:18
thunderpole
Went rabbit hunting today shot 4 between the 3 of us dogs ran great, Saturday looking like a wash so not sure if we will go out or not
2020/01/10 06:59:16
holly107
3 last Saturday very nice day to hunt. the dogs did well.
2020/01/19 13:33:02
thunderpole
Got 1 bunny yesterday before we got rained out and quit missed 2 others lol
2020/01/19 13:33:02
thunderpole
Got 1 bunny yesterday before we got rained out and quit missed 2 others lol
2020/01/19 15:52:53
BeenThereDoneThat.
Good going Thunderpole 👍 Is that 🐇Hasenpfeffer 🐰I smell cooking. 🍺
2020/03/26 06:08:42
mr.crappie
I just watched a show on you tube ( Southern Style, I think ) about hunting rabbits in So. Carolina. They showed 2 recipes for cooking them that I never saw before.One was after cooking the rabbit, they shredded the meat like pulled pork. The other was to dice the meat & make rabbit salad , like chicken salad. Both looked very good. Of course they had some "moonshine" with their ginger-ale. The host of the show warned people that when in the south & you see a jar with clear liquid in it,it's not water. lol  sam
2020/03/31 18:52:03
treesparrow
     This last year I didn't harvest a Rabbit or a Squirrel. I miss my Squirrel hunting with a .22. I even went out and found lots of Hickory nuts in one of my haunts, then never got back. Would have gone but the two days I tried it was too windy. As for Rabbits I never saw one all season. Guess I never targeted them either. I had a lot going on in the early season and just didn't have much time.
    Never thought of shredding Rabbit for a salad or pulled Rabbit. I sure do like fried Rabbit. I have had Rabbit parboiled, fried then slow cooked until fall off bone in a creamy sauce yum- hard to beat.
    This should be the season for Walleye, Crappy, and Perch feeds. I am laying low though and we wont be enjoying those treats.
2020/03/31 20:27:32
crappiefisher
mr.crappie
I just watched a show on you tube ( Southern Style, I think ) about hunting rabbits in So. Carolina. They showed 2 recipes for cooking them that I never saw before.One was after cooking the rabbit, they shredded the meat like pulled pork. The other was to dice the meat & make rabbit salad , like chicken salad. Both looked very good. Of course they had some "moonshine" with their ginger-ale. The host of the show warned people that when in the south & you see a jar with clear liquid in it,it's not water. lol  sam

Saw that last week, looks like a fun house to hang out. Think they had a dozen Beagles or so. 

crappy
2020/04/02 08:24:43
treesparrow
   I live in Venango Co. and do most of my stomping their and in Clarion Co. There just are not that many rabbits around anymore. I blame it on many reasons. One is that the gene pool was altered long ago by the stocking of non indigenous  Rabbits. Also the predation is high. However one of the emerging problems is the invasive species that are taking over habitat. Rubus Species  such as Black berries and all Rasberries are getting hard to find as are Elderberries. We now have Honneysuckle Varieties and Multiflora Rose taking up traditional habitat, and while providing cover is not a winter staple. I have never seen either being barked in the winter as the native plants were. How Rabbis love to bark Apple much to the horror of orchard owners.
   I spend many days each summer trying to eradicate the invasives. This might be a good year for us all to wage war on them as we hunker down in our home turf. The Rubus Sp. are still around they are just pushed out. Look for the first greening  of spring, most greening bushes will be invasives. Learn to identify and eradicate. It is one thing we can do to better our outdoor world.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account