2019/09/16 07:49:33
dpms
Not much activity on the boards over the past few years but thought I would start a new thread for the upcoming archery seasons to hopefully generate some discussion. Here in the SRA's, the season opens up this Saturday.

I did a camera check over the weekend at some of my early season spots. One stand under a couple of oak trees has a pretty decent buck coming in during daylight pretty consistently. He is an 8 point, about 15 inches wide, but thin horned. Probably a 2.5 y/o. Part of me hopes he doesn't show up. He is one of the those bucks that is tough to pass up. I will only be able to hunt in the morning on the opener but plan to be in the stand well before daylight. 

Anyone else headed out in the SRA's or have some deer lined up for the general opener on the 5th? 
2019/09/16 08:05:49
DarDys
Typically, no bucks show up on my property until +/-5 days of Halloween. They wonder in for the rut and leave.

This year, for the last month or more, I’ve had 4 different spikes, 2 different 4-points, a 6-point, and a 7-point like the one described above, except he is high too, on camera and some in person.

Physically, I saw a real good 8-point 60 days ago and my wife saw what she described as a monster 45 days ago, but I have no photos of either.

Not sure if I’m going out early in the season or wait for the rut. I have two puppies to polish up for the state pheasant championship and I’m really after the size of buck that wonders in at Halloween.

However, I might venture out early and put a doe in the freezer so that I can pass on a buck like the 7-point and not regret it later when I don’t have any deer bologna, like last season.
2019/09/16 08:12:05
fishin coyote
No SRA's for me, I'll have to wait for October. Local deer here are starting to move out of the beans and into the oaks. Acorns are everywhere.
Good luck everyone with your season
2019/09/19 18:20:47
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
I'm out until the 5th, but can't wait. Been working on the new (to me) house most of the year and missed most of the fishing season. Just about done and once hunting season gets here I hope to be doing not much else in my spare time. Got a decent 8 with about a 6" brow on one side I'd like to have a run in with, but I'm not real picky when it comes to horns. Honestly, I just want to get some meat in the freezer. Good luck out there everyone and hopefully its not 80+ degrees this year for the early part of the season
2019/09/19 19:22:58
mopars0
I hear ya crappie slayer on the 80+ weather . Was out checking my stands and camera yesterday have to say not seeing much on my camera . Hopefully still early but last year had several nice bucks on camera by now all at night. Seeing my Cuz and her 2 dogs and few Doe ... lol oh well we will see ... good luck everyone !
2019/09/20 10:24:15
Dirty McCurdy
Gonna miss the WV opener, I will be out of town chasing redfish.  We were hoping to put some doe meat in the freezer early this fall, but unfortunately EHD is triangulating itself around me, and seems to be closing in.  I might wait and see what it ends up doing, I would hate to put three doe in the freezer if it hits us hard locally.  WV trail camera has proven promising, I have 2 decent 2.5 year olds out at my inlaws farm, along with one very nice heavier/wider/taller 8 that I saw in person thrice now(thinking he is probably a 3.5), but can not seem to get him on camera.  I have a feeling that his bedding/food corridor is all in about a 300 yard area right now, and I don't want to push in on him just to get a few trail cam pics.  If I catch the wind right, and he screws up just right, I think I have a chance.  Tons of doe behind the house, but no bucks to speak of other than the worlds smallest spike. If the disease slows down, and the doe stick around and survive the EHD, it might be a good place to be for a morning in early November.

Pa trail camera work has produced a few little bucks, but nothing to get shaken up over.  I will probably hold off and hit a couple of my old stand-by Halloween - Nov 14th GreeneCo stands and do some run and gun when the time comes, instead of tromping around the jungle up there spreading my scent around sweating it up in October.

Side note, anyone ever hunt any of these tree saddles that are all the scuttlebutt nowadays?  I have always been a climber guy when it comes to run and gun, but I have also had about a 1000 trees I thought would be awesome to get in over the years that weren't suitable for the climber.  I would be interested in hearing what peoples thoughts are on them.  
2019/09/21 20:29:56
dpms
First hunt of the year this morning. All I managed to see was a young red fox. Haven't seen a fox in a few years so that was cool. Acorns were dropping pretty consistently. Could hunt this evening. That particular stand is better in the evenings. 
2019/09/22 11:30:23
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Took a walk on one of the properties I hunt today. What a difference a few weeks makes. Was up there a few weeks ago and didn't see many tracks. Come back today and the oaks are raining acorns. Deer sign everywhere! Spotted 3 does and a flock of 13 turkeys
2019/09/25 23:54:19
mopars0
Checked my camera today and my 2 stands ... only 2 small bucks and a few doe in a week., sure a lot different then last year at this time. Neither bucks were shooters either , oh well guess we will have to wait and see ! Good luck out there this year ...
2019/09/26 08:18:00
dpms
Did my first afternoon sit yesterday. One lonely spike. It was pretty warm out there. 

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account