2019/05/04 16:06:58
dpms
Man it was quiet out there today for me. I never heard a bird gobble all morning, even from the roost. 

I set my blind near where I killed number one earlier but was greeted with silence this morning. Even the birds were chirping less. From my pre season scouting, I knew there was another few gobblers hanging so I sat tight, calling every half an hour or so. At 9am, I was seriously contemplating packing it up and headed out, but experience has taught me that late morning can sometimes be the ticket and patience while hunting is something I am fortunate to have. 

I hadn't called in probably 40 minutes when I caught movement out of the side window of the blind. I just leave it cracked for air flow more than anything. Here he came, on a slow march, without uttering so much as a peep. It was sort of a scramble to get everything ready, but when he popped into my front window, he was only 15 yards and the arrow flew true. The Ravin R26 took out the wing butt and it was over with a few flops. 

Very happy with bird #2. Sometimes the ones that take the most patience seem to be more rewarding. He appears to be a two year old with a 9.5 inch beard and 7/8 inch sharp spurs. Pretty cool feature is the black back feathers on this bird. Solid black. 

Thats a wrap for the 2018/19 seasons!

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
2019/05/04 19:54:20
DarDys
Two for two. Fabulous!
2019/05/08 08:27:30
dpms
DarDys
Two for two. Fabulous!

It was a great first week for sure. I had this past Monday off. The weather was perfect for turkey hunting. Part of me wished I was out there running the call. 
2019/05/09 19:43:50
Panfisher
Nothing for me.   Heard one gobble all season.  Either they are quiet or not many birds in my neck of the woods.
2019/05/09 20:11:08
Big Tuna
My son got a great bird on Tuesday,18.5 lbs 10.5 inch beard,1"1/8 spurs.... I don't have time to hunt but worked till 8:15 in our greenhouses and roosted some birds at 8:40 pm last night.... I couldn't resist this easy set up....in was in the woods at 4:30 AM.....Sat at my tree by 5:15 AM. Several birds started getting it at 5:45 Am.... birds by me where tight lipped do to a snorting deer under the roost tree.... they pitched out at 6:15....at 6:36 I had 3 Jakes getting jiggy...I seriously let them come.....to 7 yards.....bang.... a fat juicy Jake with a 5 1/2" beard....15 lbs....I sat there and use my natural voice and called to other 2 back to 25 yards....lol.  I know it just a Jake but still fun, I hate to have a full season in the turkey woods..... I've killed a pile of long beards but it always fun calling them in tight.....love to kill them close.....killed many under 15 yards....my new thing is next year a single shot 410.....challenge...put more fun in the hunt....
2019/05/10 07:31:11
DarDys
I haven’t hunted spring gobblers in a very long time, just seems I have too many other things going on that time of year to put in the work and extra early hours needed to be successful.

For about two weeks now, while running the dogs, they run, I don’t, I have heard a gobbler on the ridge above our old house (about 800 yards from where we live now). At first it was interesting, then it got to be, hey, this is an opportunity, you should go kill that bird.

Each time I would hear it, the urge to camo up and go got stronger. Until last week.

My wife and I were in the yard and the gobbler went off. Before I could explain my desire to go the next morning and shut him up permanently, my wife says, β€œCan you believe our old neighbor bought a white turkey and is keeping it in a pen right next to there house? What a racket. Somebody ought to shoot that bird.”
2019/05/10 08:16:09
dpms
Big Tuna
 I've killed a pile of long beards but it always fun calling them in tight.....love to kill them close.....killed many under 15 yards....my new thing is next year a single shot 410.....challenge...put more fun in the hunt....

Congrats on the jake. If you archery hunt, you should try killing a few with the bow if you are looking for a different challenge. For the ultimate challenge try doing it without a blind. 
2019/05/10 14:41:59
CAPTAIN HOOK
Congrats Big T , no guarantee on birds even the roosted ones....glad it worked out . I gave it up a few years ago just enjoy the fishing too much . Don't need anymore tick problems !  I've popped most close too, but that's just the way it should be...guys telling me about 50-60 yard shots doesn't impress me at all. And high powered rifles allowed in fall for turkey ....now that's a joke ! 

Big T try a sling shot next ! ....lol
2019/05/10 16:35:53
BeenThereDoneThat.
Yeah buddy that turkey, blind hunting, is for the birds.... much easier to see em with your eyes open.

😏😏😏😏😏😏😏

awWww C'MON that was funny.... yinz know it was. πŸ˜³πŸ˜’πŸ˜
2019/05/10 23:15:05
CAPTAIN HOOK
That was a good one....whens Snipe season start I got the white bag ready ! 

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account