2018/02/12 14:23:50
dpms
Sunday Hunting Fight to take new form

The fight to legalize Sunday hunting in Pennsylvania is taking on a new form.

It’s not one everyone supports.

The grassroots group Hunters United for Sunday Hunting initially formed more than a year ago. Its goal was to convince lawmakers to remove the “blue law” prohibiting hunting on Sundays.

That would not mandate hunting on any Sundays. It would only give the Pennsylvania Game Commission the authority to decide which ones, if any, to add to the hunting calendar.

Supporters say Sunday hunting would increase opportunities for working people, families and youths otherwise tied up with work, school and sports to get outdoors.

The idea has gotten no traction, however.

State Rep. Bob Godshall of Montgomery County actually introduced House Bill 71 on Jan. 23 of 2017. It would eliminate the Sunday hunting ban. Fourteen co-sponsors signed on.

But it’s gone nowhere.

The bill has never come up for debate in committee, let alone gone before the full House of Representatives. That’s the same fate suffered by similar legislation in previous years.

So, said Harold Daub of Dauphin County, it’s time for a change.

Daub – testifying before Game Commissioners – admitted not all hunters want Sundays. And the main issue for those opposed is deer.

They fear adding Sundays to deer seasons and decreasing the herd, Daub said.

He doesn’t share that worry, he said. But he accepts it for the roadblock it is, he added.

“I would prefer that the Game Commission be given seven-day regulatory authority over all species. But it’s simply time to face reality and leave deer behind,” Daub said.

That’s where the new strategy comes in.

There is some Sunday hunting in Pennsylvania already, Daub noted. Three species — coyotes, foxes and crows — can be pursued on that day.

The Hunters United group is now suggesting that – rather than repealing the Sunday hunting ban – lawmakers instead just expand the list of species that can be hunted on that day. Specifically, it wants to add groundhogs, squirrels, rabbits, pheasants, raccoons and waterfowl.

Not everyone likes the idea.

Enough of those who attended a kickoff meeting for the new strategy complained that Daub took to Facebook this week to address their issues.

The problem, he said, is the Pennsylvania Farm Bureau.

That group is the largest representing farm families in the state. And it has long opposed Sunday hunting.

That remains its stance

Jeff Grove, the bureau’s director of local affairs, said the issue was debated – as it is every year — at its annual meeting in November. Sunday hunting was shot down in a discussion that lasted less than three minutes, he said.

There are likely several reasons, he said. But one stands out.

“The one thing I hear most often on Sunday hunting is that farmers just don’t want to be harassed on Sundays,” Grove said.

Daub said hunters – who have had no success countering the bureau with lawmakers – have to try something new, hence the new strategy.

“Is it perfect? No. But we need to win a battle to turn this war in our favor and away from the Farm Bureau,” he wrote.

In the meantime, one Game Commissioner wondered if the bureau’s stance accurately reflect all farmers.

Brian Hoover of Chester County attended the Farm Bureau’s annual meeting.

“So when I sat at a table with a group of farmers, the first thing they brought up to me was, when are we going to get Sunday hunting? And the table behind me was saying the same thing,” Hoover said.

He suggested there’s an “underlying movement” within the bureau accept it.

If that’s true, it might be age based, Grove said.

“I do believe, if you look at the demographics of hunters, the younger generation is much more supportive (of Sunday hunting) than the older. And I would imagine that’s possible in the agricultural industry, too,” Grove said.

There are certainly young people who favor Sunday hunting.

Gov. Tom Wolf’s youth advisory council on hunting, fishing and conservation were polled on their ideas for getting kids into the woods more often.

“More days to hunt was suggested more than any other idea,” said Jordon Edmonds of Hershey, spokesman for the group.

He told commissioners group members see Sundays as the answer to getting youths into the woods in the face of other competition for time.

Daub said hunters need to pursue whatever options it can to expand Sunday hunting.

https://adventures.everybodyshops.co...take-new-form/
2018/02/12 14:45:53
dpms
For the record, I don't support a peach meal approach. A full regulatory transfer is long overdo with the discussion of when and where happening on Elmerten Ave in front of the Commissioners. 

I guess organizers are looking for regional directors and volunteers with a big organizational meeting scheduled in March at PGC headquarters which will be attended by various state representatives and/or staff. 
2018/02/12 15:44:46
DarDys
So why doesn’t someone propose that there be Sunday hunting on SGL that have nothing to do with the members of the Farm Bureau because it would have zero affect on them?

Or that one could hunt on their own property on Sunday, again going around what the members of the Farm Bureau oppose?

Using over harvest is a smokescreen. When one kills a buck, they are done and the antlerless population is controlled by license allocations.
2018/02/12 15:58:32
dpms
DarDys
So why doesn’t someone propose that there be Sunday hunting on SGL that have nothing to do with the members of the Farm Bureau because it would have zero affect on them?

This idea was discussed. The opposition to that idea is largely from some hunters that feel that public hands are over harvested and SH will make the problem worse. 

Using over harvest is a smokescreen. When one kills a buck, they are done and the antlerless population is controlled by license allocations.

Absolutely correct. The PGC can lower or raise deer populations with the tools they already have. Adding Sunday hunting does not change that. If there is an impact that is measurably negative, allocations would be reduced to compensate. Allocations ebb and flow all of the time. That would not change. 

2018/02/12 16:05:03
Mountian Man
I'd be ok with Sunday hunting during the archery season
2018/02/12 16:28:45
DarDys
If SGL are over harvested, the someone at the PGC needs fired. They control populations via antlerless allocations, so any over harvest is directly their doing.
2018/02/12 16:39:11
dpms
DarDys
If SGL are over harvested, the someone at the PGC needs fired. They control populations via antlerless allocations, so any over harvest is directly their doing.

The question becomes are SGLs over harvested or is that just a perception that exists among some hunters.

The problem with allocations allotted to areas the size of WMUs is the PGC cannot control where the tags are used. Allocations can only control general populations, not micro populations. 
2018/02/12 17:08:47
DarDys
True.

Then the WMUs need revisited. And not from a LE perspective, but from a population perspective. That would seem like time better spent than working on the use of auto shotguns for big game across the state or the seasons and bag limits on skunks and porcupines.
2018/02/13 00:11:18
lost sage rod sectio
The only people who will really benefit from Sunday hunting are the non-resident hunters. As far as the youth are concerned if you have to beg a kid to hunt your wasting your time.!!!!
2018/02/13 07:12:57
DarDys
Agreed that if you have to beg a kid to hunt, or anything else for that matter, it is a waste of time.

However, the other part if the statement makes no sense. I would like to be able to hunt my property on Sunday and I know numerous friends that have ground ranging from 50 to over 700 acres that would as well.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account