2018/01/04 11:11:36
workcanwait....
Going out on Bay sumtime soon have not ice fished since I was lil kid.
I am going with a experienced local but willing to read any advice or reports you all feel like typing...Thanks WCW
2018/01/04 11:56:28
davef
I'm assuming since you are going with a vet ice fisherman gear will be covered.   The one thing I'd say is take enough clothes to stay warm unless your in a shanty.  I usually carry an extra shirt and gloves and leave them in a small bucket unless needed.   Maybe if there is sheet ice stick a few sheet metal screws in the bottom of your boots.

I believe someone fell at the first fisherie freezout about 15 years ago and banged his or her head pretty good.  That could ruin your trip pretty quick.
2018/01/04 12:34:13
Erie_flyfishing

Attached Image(s)

2018/01/04 12:35:47
Erie_flyfishing
Depends on what fish you are going after . Like Dave said, stay warm and be careful. Tightlines
2018/01/04 14:14:28
workcanwait....
Yeah I spend alot of time outdoors I got the dress warm thing covered.
Looking to catch perch gill n crappie to eat but not against catching steel or pike be happy just to get out and try.
I follow Poor Richards Presq isle Angler and Fish USA on fb.
WCW
2018/01/04 16:22:00
H3Fisher
I said I would never ice fish... But this year I am getting the itch.

Are those fish finders really needed, or people just walk out, close their eyes and drill a hole.

2018/01/04 16:27:39
Kokanee Killer
yes and no
2018/01/04 17:17:54
Erie_flyfishing
H3Fisher
I said I would never ice fish... But this year I am getting the itch.

Are those fish finders really needed, or people just walk out, close their eyes and drill a hole.

The "fish finder" will make your day go a lot easier. Most of the times, the biggest challenge is locating a decent amount of fish on safe ice
2018/01/04 20:39:24
Meatball
Ive seen guys without flashers catch a lot of fish by constantly working their bait...i sat side by side in a shanty with worm waster, he had a flasher, i had a camera, he caught more than me..then i bought a flasher...bottom line, you gotta get out there to catch fish..drill a hole and start jiggin...and stay away from chronic hole drillers...like beating a hammer on the bottom of a boat
2018/01/04 21:17:42
BeenThereDoneThat.
With all this snow, just make sure you're on the ice, 'over the water' before ya start drillin',  ya might need to replace yer ice blades more then need be.

FishUSA has Marcums on sale if yinz is in the market for a flasher or do like I do, go fishin with friends that already owns a flasher.  and a shanty, and a power auger, and buys the bait, and has a electric fillet knife.  Not that I would ever have use for a fillet knife.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account