2017/12/18 19:12:37
dpms
One of my favorite times to be out there. I enjoy flinter season much more than firearms season. Got my TC Firestorm all cleaned up over the weekend and a fresh flint in its jaws. 

Hopefully we get another cold blast with some snow after Christmas so I can pull out my snow camo. It is pretty much a still hunting, spot and stalk kind of hunt for me. Had some shooting last year but my gun is way more capable than I am so no blood hit the leaves. Did some off season shooting this year to bring my confidence up. 

Since Christmas falls on a Monday this year, the season is nearly 3 full weeks this go round. 

Anybody else here hoping to make some smoke over the next few weeks? 
2017/12/19 00:55:10
mr.crappie
dpms, Tues. 26th  sam
2017/12/19 07:28:07
DarDys
I might venture out with the crossbow. While I have harvested (killed, whatever) a few deer with the flintlock, I dislike shooting them and dislike cleaning them. We started using them way back when the season first came into existence and practiced with them a lot.

However, at this point, up to 50 yards, I feel I’m more effective with the crossbow. No fire, no smoke, no misfire, no flinch, no open sights, no hot soapy water.

Don’t get me wrong, back when we had a dozen or so guys driving, it was a bunch of fun. Now, hunting solo, I’m not so sure.
2017/12/19 07:51:38
Walleye jigs
Dardy, you forgot to list "NO FUN". Can't do it anymore but one of my best memories is crawling into range of a deer, in snow, taking aim squeezing the trigger and hearing a click and nothing else. Flintlock was always my first love, even for small game.
2017/12/19 08:01:49
DarDys
I thought it was fun back then, especially when there were a bunch of us chasing around a bunch of deer. Today, I could not get a dozen or so people to go.

I understand the appeal of still hunting, it is what I did with a rifle in antlerless season, but I’m not good enough to pull that off with a flintlock at this point in the arch of my hunting career.
2017/12/19 08:18:47
psu_fish
I'll be out. Most likely hunting solo on the 26th, then group of us doing drives on the weekends
2017/12/19 09:41:56
fishin coyote
It's the most wonderful time of the year. I have all week off so I'll be taking my TC Renegade out for her 38th season. 
Mike
2017/12/19 10:20:43
r3g3
Schizammm-
Missed a monster this AM- a shot too far.
2017/12/19 12:42:28
dpms
I won't be stalking Pa's woods till the first Friday and Saturday. 
2017/12/19 18:09:48
Panfisher
I still have a doe tag and will get the crossbow back out.  Never owned a flintlock or never even shot one.   Been thinking of getting one and giving it a try though.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account