2017/12/04 18:44:55
Panfisher
In my area (wmu 2C) there was a lot of big bucks shot and a few really big bucks harvested.  Does this mean next year there will be a shortage of big bucks?   I guy in the barber shop said this might be the case.  I don't think so but you never know.   
One lady harvested a nice buck but also got 7 stitches above her eye where the scope hit her.

2017/12/04 19:09:47
r3g3
Bucks grow up just like any other animal.
Last years scrub 2 1/2 year old 6 pt can be a real nice 3 1/2 year old 8 next time around.
Not to mention that around rut time and thereafter bucks can go miles looking for love.
2017/12/04 19:26:47
Panfisher
r3g3
Bucks grow up just like any other animal.
Last years scrub 2 1/2 year old 6 pt can be a real nice 3 1/2 year old 8 next time around.
Not to mention that around rut time and thereafter bucks can go miles looking for love.

I hear you.  A had a guy tell me a buck he had on camera was shot several miles away.
2017/12/05 00:03:52
Big Tuna
Next year statewide,three up rule will be in place. There will be monsters behind every tree.
2017/12/05 01:02:05
BeenThereDoneThat.
Be nice.....😄
2017/12/07 14:39:57
r3g3

Been 'one of those years for me so far.
Passed a few doe early on and now haven't seen a thing on the past several hunts.
The Deer seem on  'lock down' in a big way here.
Generally NO mast crop whatsoever in the places I hunt.
If they are in fields at all its nocturnal and it seems they are back in the thickets holding VERY close eating browse.
Some guys report passing and watching Doe simply hanging around the same immediate areas for hours.
Hope the second (smaller) rut kicks them around a bit.
The ridges I hunt have ZERO deer sign where ya usually see all kinds of scratching for mast and beds.
Was seeing some in early AM  skirting area homes near yards and staying there- not coming back into the woods like normal.
Dopy critters------------
2017/12/07 18:23:51
Panfisher
Haven't seen a deer the last 2 days.   They definitely went nocturnal.
2017/12/09 06:09:12
pikepredator2
r3g3

Been 'one of those years for me so far.
Passed a few doe early on and now haven't seen a thing on the past several hunts.
The Deer seem on  'lock down' in a big way here.
Generally NO mast crop whatsoever in the places I hunt.
If they are in fields at all its nocturnal and it seems they are back in the thickets holding VERY close eating browse.
Some guys report passing and watching Doe simply hanging around the same immediate areas for hours.
Hope the second (smaller) rut kicks them around a bit.
The ridges I hunt have ZERO deer sign where ya usually see all kinds of scratching for mast and beds.
Was seeing some in early AM  skirting area homes near yards and staying there- not coming back into the woods like normal.
Dopy critters------------

That's why I never pass anything up, as long as it's decent size.  Took my doe during archery.  Opening day of gun I saw 15-20 doe throughout the day, come that Saturday doe season, didn't see a one, and neither did my 2 buddies hunting in the same area. 
2017/12/09 15:14:14
r3g3
Took a little buck in early bow and don't generally shoot a doe till later in the season waiting out some horns.
Hate to shoot buck bait.
Last rifle season saw 11 doe in the first 2 hrs in one place- numerous sightings on most every hunt there.
Called the place a zoo.
This year- saw only 4 deer there in 6 hunts.
3 were  behind a house while walking in.
Tight year lol- but still love it.
2017/12/10 15:40:34
CAPTAIN HOOK
This micro controlled deer hunting gets old fast. When you see a buck you can't shoot until you know if it's legal, better have good eyes and a powerful scope and limited cover....or luck.  For some reason deer in rifle season don't hang around too long....at least where I hunt. Come doe season they are all wise , nocturnal, and spooked from buck season stating earlier . They act like they want deer numbers reduced ,but most rifle hunters just give up hunting more after hours of seeing nothing. That last Sat. of the season was quite as a church gathering ! I enjoyed the old days of deer hunting much more......better action.....a lot more stories too !   

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account