2018/01/02 18:38:06
BeenThereDoneThat.
I for one can solemnly swear, it get's mighty cold dam quick, when the wind chills get below zero.   Have not seen a elusive PA White Tailed Deer since posting the pictures from my game cams two weeks ago.  I guess that means the stupid deer can attest to the sub-zero wind chills also. 

Anyways, while sitting in a tree in weather cold enough to freeze the family jewels off of a brass monkey, I think I discovered why I only see the stupid deer, in pictures taken by my game cameras.   All this time I been dressing like a tree sitting in a tree when I should be dressing like a game camera, sitting in a tree. 

Stay tuned, the brain freeze is beginning to thaw.
2018/01/03 13:37:40
workcanwait....
Getting ready to go out eatin sum chicken noodle soup.
Temps in the teens suns out sounds gud compared to what it has been.
Hoping one of the big girls shows up but still willing to take a buck if I were lucky enough to see one legal and close.Wonder how much snow awaits me in my shack...WCW
2018/01/03 21:37:54
BeenThereDoneThat.
WCW don't know if you get the same weather pattern as we do here in my little piece of Penn's Woods but if you do you might want to button up your shack over the next couple days. Winters coming with a fresh batch of snow and more of that stupid wind.

Must agree when the wind settled down today, it made a difference and became enjoyable to be in the Pennsylvania Wilds. Even funner, daylight growing longer along with a blanket of snow on the ground makin for more time in the wilderness.

Mounted a new scope with "IR" on my crossbow yesterday so needless to say I was eager to get out this afternoon in hope of some field testing.

Thought it may happen around 4:30pm a large deer crossed a field about 150 yds to my south, disappearing into the tree line along the field's eastern boarder. That's the same area I placed the top section of a ladder stand a day before field testing my first tick. I wasn't there today because I didn't want to sit out in the stupid wind which stopped blowing after I set-up in my high rise ground blind.... stupid wind. However, there was a 50 50 chance the deer would turn north and if following the deer trail that exits the woods 30 yds to my south there would be a good chance I could be enjoying back-strap right now. Which obviously I ain't because the stupid deer didn't do what it was suppose to... stupid deer.

Instead, a squirrel caught my eye while bounding and bouncing across the ground, doing whatever squirrels do, just before sundown. Fortunately, the squirrel turned my attention in the right direction causing me to notice four legs walking through heavy under brush, following the deer trail that exits the woods, 30yds to my east.

Slowly...ever so slowly, crossbow on shooting rest, safety off, right hand on stock as my left hand adjusted the "IR". First dim then bright, beginning with green then to red and back to green, bright then dim then bright again. Looking, waiting, watching as the legs moved from heavy cover past the trees into my shooting lane. Green then red, bright to dim, dim to bright and finally the 30 yd recticle now glowing in my eye focused behind the left shoulder, finger on the trigger, inhale then sligtly exhaling and hold, and hold, and hold, as the deer continued to my north where it once again stopped, to dig in the snow. This deer was much smaller, maybe going on two years old and it was just so darned cute.

Sure didn't get no back strap but this leftover blony-n-cheez sanmidge ain't bad.

Now if you will excuse me I must go and check to see if there remains a green glow in my new scope, I think I forgot to turn the thing off and I don't have a stupid spare battery.
2018/01/04 11:04:06
workcanwait....
I am in Albion PA area its been snowing plenty my shack has 1 wide opening over looking plot cant close it no window installed it is set up so wind does not blow snow in it.
I saw 1 small doe and 2 young ones yesterday back at it next week weather looks much better.
Message me some directions for posting pics I was using photobucket but no more that site was bad news b4 they started charging.I got sum pics you would like...WCW
2018/01/04 13:03:23
Walleye jigs
Hey BT, Arby's has venison sandwiches! Just saying!
2018/01/05 11:42:16
eyesandgillz
Went out Wednesday evening after work (well, left a little early).  Only saw a doe and two fawns that didn't get any closer than 50 or so yards.  It was noisy walking in and climbing my tree with the climber so, I may have blown out some deer on my way into this woodlot.  Still got cold fingers and toes....
Maybe I'll give it another go next week.
2018/01/05 13:48:21
BeenThereDoneThat.
Walleye jigs
Hey BT, Arby's has venison sandwiches! Just saying!

Yeahhhh  yeah...... I fell for that one earlier in the season.  I mean to tell ya, dressed looking like a tree including full face paint, packing a climber and a loaded cross bow over yinz shoulder, ain't a good time to walk into any restaurant and ask for a venison sammidge.  Not my fault their stupid drive thru was closed!!!

Nor is today a good day to go sit in a non-heated non-insulated high-rise ground blind waiting on a animal that knows better than to be out runnin in the woods.   8 degrees and a wind chill of -14 degrees as the wind howls through the open windows of my shelter.  Snow gits any deeper in here, I'm gonna need a snow shovel.  Looks like I'm gonna have to pack it in early cause there's no let up with this stupid wind forecast in the very near future but, I'll get em next time.
2018/01/05 16:15:20
r3g3
After all the advertising they only had those for  day or two.
2018/01/05 17:36:18
Walleye jigs
B.T. scared the hell out of them!
2018/01/05 20:49:58
workcanwait....
I see a warming trend in the forcast hang in there 1 more BRUTAL day I dont mind winter but its been a lil too cold for too long during a hunting season.
Sumone taught me how to share pics guna post em up soon...WCW

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account