2017/09/02 20:34:18
dpms
Hard to believe that in 2 weeks we can begin to sit stands in the SRA. Did some camera checks and there seems to be some doe around. A few small bucks. Nothing big around my stands but I don't expect good bucks to start showing until the end of October in my spots. 

If half of the bucks I saw last year in my SRA areas made it through, there should be some real good ones creeping around come November.
2017/09/03 23:37:09
Panfisher
Where did the summer go?
2017/09/04 08:44:00
dpms
Gonna do some shooting today and crawl into the stand I plan to sit on the opener to make sure my shooting lanes still look good from when I trimmed them in March. 
2017/09/04 12:34:54
Moses Guthrie
Got the 1st buck out of velvet on camera last week and one nice buck showing up daily. Hope he sticks around a couple more weeks.
2017/09/04 14:23:30
dpms
Trimmed some stands. Man, the invasive honeysuckle is hard to stay ahead of. I may be crowded out of this spot in a few years. 

Did have one nice 8 point on the camera still in velvet that seems to be a regular. With the EHD outbreak getting really bad down here, all bets are off when this fall. My best farm in 2A  sits in the cross hairs so I may be hunting the SRA more often this fall. 

2017/09/07 14:32:09
r3g3
Very early rut where I hunt was a bit further verified yesterday- Saw a  small doe (1.5) and a small fawn already out of spots.
Generally fawns from the year before drop a bit later as they mature and breed a bit later as their first season goes on. IMHO.
Was seeing bucks chasing and many ground scrapes well before other folks reporting same last year.
Heck- they were marking and chasing in early Sept. and no new scrapes after the beginning of Oct down there.
By normal rut time they were done in my place- lots of doe around too.
Cwazy deers.
The season before they marked and chased well into the gun season.
2017/09/15 05:32:28
r3g3
Well there is no fool like an old fool---
Today is day one of our  CT Archery Deer and Turkey season.
Did all my scouting -built a nice blind- refreshed the blind yesterday.
Bought all my tags last March looking forward to some fishing and spring turkey--
On the 45 mile trip to the promised land this AM started to wonder if I had gone back to City Hall and purchased my fall hunting tags.
Hmmmm
Pulled into a highway rest area and NOPE just the fishing and Spring stuff.
No Archery Deer or firearm Deer tags.
Now just sitting here feeling like a pile of bovine field splatter  typing on this dopy machine when I should be sitting in my blind.
Oh well- City Hall will open and an afternoon hunt will follow----

IDIOT
2017/09/15 06:29:50
BeenThereDoneThat.
r3 put this story in the hunting archives. It'll be a good one for some ha Haas down the road.

Good luck on that afternoon hunt.

Oh.... one other thing, it don't count if there ain't no pictures.😜
2017/09/15 06:42:15
r3g3
Havent been checked by a Warden in over 30 years butt- Murphys law lol- just couldn't bring myself to head out anyhoo and get the tags later.
2017/09/15 07:24:48
BeenThereDoneThat.
Good that you checked before getting in the woods and whacking a deer. If you have my kind of luck, it would be the only time a warden shows up and offers a hand. lol

May as well stock up on bug repellant if not already done so. Weather dude saying we North Easter's can expect August in September starting next week. Sunny and 80ish.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account