2017/06/28 16:36:48
r3g3
OK-- its that time of year where reports of fishing are few and far between- so how about some outdoor fun  stuff to read--

A number of years ago stopped at  local coffee shop at 0'dark 30 before a bow Turkey hunt. Some friends hang there.
They comically reminded me that ya had to aim at the neck and head so as not to spoil the meat- knowing full well that I was using a bow that day, not a shotgun.
An hour later I was standing next to a huge white oak a mile away from the Coffee place.
Two Jakes came walking in my direction-no calling- just going about their business.
As the Jakes got very close I drew back while behind the tree and waited for them to appear while walking past-they had never made me.
I aimed at the closest one ( toooo close) and released. Went right over his back.
The second bird was right alongside and a bit beyond  the first.
It was the second birds most ( and last) unlucky day.
As he DID make me he looked  up and the broadhead took all but a thin piece of skin from his neck just below the head.
Got back to the Coffee shop as quick as possible and took my friends out to see the bird in the truck.
One guy said 'what did you do cut his throat "??
Naaa ( says I) calm and cool -"ya said to shoot him in the neck so I did".
Unless they are reading this they still think it was on purpose.
2017/06/28 19:58:34
Fisherlady2
 great story! We will never Tell! LOL
2017/06/29 17:02:29
pafisher
So how was that bird? I bet very tasty as you bled it out real quick.
2017/06/29 20:32:01
hot tuna
Clams aren't so bad either.
Fun stuff indeed, no idea how to make the memories into photographs so I'm living in the moment
2017/06/30 13:34:06
fichy
Good story. 
2017/07/05 08:11:06
r3g3
Liked the 'good turn' story better.
2017/10/10 09:59:55
r3g3
So- got a foul hooked King on the line and was standing bout 5 yards from shore fishing into a pocket  for Hos.
Was trying to snap it off and it ran up along shore right parallel to me and stopped there.
My rod was bent over and held high but the fish wouldn't move away for a  decent opportunity to break it off.
A second King stayed alongside the fouled one.
Guy with a straw hat and beard walked down and began trying to lift the free King right in front of me.
He walked right under my bent rod dipping and lifting away-- oblivious.
He even took a stab or two at the one I had hooked.
As he walked the free fish backed off and the one I had on busted out for a -snap off.
The guy looked at me with a big smile all happy about the fishing opportunity.
He continued down walking right through the pocket the Hos had been holding in.
Never said a word- why waste my breath.
Silly season.

The next AM, while walking up a path,a guy was a bit down from a blowdown stabbing away under the tree with a big net.
I looked upstream to see who had the fish on only to see a couple of guys silently staring at him.
No fish on any lines- he was trying to net one - lol.
Clown
2017/10/10 10:09:34
bigbear2012
When my son was about 6 i took him squirrel hunting with me to my sister's farm.  Really just an excuse to get out in the woods.  He had brought his wrist rocket sling shot along and had a pocket full of egg corns.  We saw tons of squirrel and were just sitting against a tree watching when 3 deer came walking in.  At about 20 yards out he whispers, dad can i shoot a deer with my slingshot?  I figured, what harm could it do, so I said yes. The deer keep coming in, when they were about 10 feet away, he let one go....hit the closest deer in the butt and they freaked out. Two of them ran into each other, one was knocked down and bumped into him. He was laughing about it and telling the story for weeks.
2017/10/17 20:22:24
fichy
A couple of years ago, I volunteered to take the Project Healing Waters group from the White River VA hospital in Vt.  to the Battenkill. It was under the auspices of the Orvis Co. and started at their flagship store. We met and I gave a casting demo and  showed a few easy tie, strong knots. It was then time to hand out the free stuff before we hit the water. Orvis gave the 10 fellows a 9' 5x leader and a plastic cup of 1/2 a dozen flies each . I was a little disappointed, to say the least. It wasn't a group that I expected, as no one was missing a limb, but some excessive fidgeting and some thousand yard stares told a different story.  They gratefully took their gifts and we prepared to go.
    In the parking lot behind the store there was a several vans parked with short haired young men milling about. We soon discovered an Orvis big shot had arranged to take out West Point cadets on the same day as the PHW guys.  Store employees brought out armloads of new waders, rod cases, vests and God knows what else, but I would bet nippers, lines, boxes etc...  I shook my head, we had a brief encounter about the section of river they were headed to, and left.
    We had a great time, though the fishing was slow. I heard some war stories, heard some horror and addiction tales and was  grateful to spend time with a great bunch of heroes. Yeah, to me a hero is somebody that does his duty and gets to go through something no one should and still loves his country. I was blessed with a  father who was one. Others may have their opinion. You just got mine. 
   Towards the early afternoon, we were changing spots on the river and walking down the road towards our several vehicles when the vans approached. They stopped on the dirt road and the young guys got out and introduced themselves. They were in civvies, all dressed in jeans, which were now wet to their ****es. They had water squelching out of boots and sneakers. They were polite, friendly and as respectful with the vets as anyone could have possibly been. I quietly  asked a guide that was with them why they were wet wading. He told me they had asked about our group and someone asked what these wounded warriors had received as gifts. When there was some hesitation and waffling, they REFUSED Orvis's handouts and went with nothing , rather than use gifts that were withheld from those who had already seen mortal combat. 
    As troubled as our times are, I think about these men, now probably graduated , that will act as leaders. There's some great comfort to be found there. 
2017/10/17 20:32:17
BeenThereDoneThat.
Wow, Fichy felt your every word. Great read and thank you for your service to America's heros.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account