2017/04/10 09:19:11
tippecanoe
I am going up on a family camping trip in August.  I figure this is about the worst possible time to go fishing in the swamp/lake.

I hear of bowfin?  Is this accurate, and can anyone confirm?  I also hear of pickerel, which I would be more than a little interested in.  Rumor has it there are three or four musky swimming around with a few pike, too.  I think I will try to leave the musky be.  I assume try to fish for pickerel and bowfin in/along the weed edges?  Maybe up in that channel that runs up through the swampier part?  Perch in the deepest parts, down close to the dam?  I hear there are a decent population of crappie as well.  Get up super early and fish from daylight until 10, then the last couple hours of the day?  Just fish a little top water for bass/pickerel/bowfin/(whatever) and say screw the panfish thing?

Any help would be appreciated!
2017/04/10 20:07:55
Mountian Man
Bowfins like da weeds n jigs trust me

Are you following me where I fish cuz you be fishing alot of my local haunts jus sayin lol
2017/04/11 08:48:02
tippecanoe
JimmyHalapluka and Lummis put a tracker on your car.  He was looking for that cute chick that used to post here with you.

Ha, no, I am taking the family camping with my sister's family up there in August.  Meteor shower that weekend, I guess it is supposed to be a good place to watch one.  We should've went to that Cherry Springs place, but I think it is about another two hours for us WV yokels.  I figured while they were out hugging trees and trying to to get bit by a rattlesnake, I would take the kids out in the jon boat and try to get a fish or two.  I have done some Geneva swamp bowfinning, and it was a blast.  I catch a pickerel, it goes in the cooler.  We ate a few of them out of high point last year, GD delicious. 

2017/04/14 10:37:26
johnthefisherman
That lake is absolutely infested with pickerel. Please take em. 
2017/04/18 08:23:49
tippecanoe
johnthefisherman
That lake is absolutely infested with pickerel. Please take em. 

What is the summer pickerel tactic of choice?  I assume they hang in the weeds looking to ambush?  If I get the opportunity, I would take a family limit for each day I was there.  They have a tendency to stunt, and I would probably be doing the lake a small favor.  I kept some from high point last year, and they were delicious. 
2017/04/25 15:51:53
psu_fish
buzz baits?
or
live minnows?

I would think anything for pike on a smaller scale, would work for pickerel
2017/04/26 09:34:40
tippecanoe
I was kind of wondering what they did when it got warm.  I don't really know.
2017/04/28 08:50:17
AcDcRocker1209
How is this lake? It's 2 hours away from my house. The google Earth shows nice lilly pads (I believe) Looks like a good lake for a kayak ambush
2017/09/06 13:02:04
tippecanoe
I didn't end up going.  We went down to Spruce Knob instead.  Fishing sucked(that place is horrible), meteor shower was ok, it was probably 50% clouds.  Got to do some spelunking, which was cool.

I am still interested in this lake, I would like to try it as it cools off this fall, or in the spring.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account