2017/01/12 22:20:23
mr.crappie
I am trying to recuperate from helping my  Bud drag a very large Swamp Donkey that he got with the .50 cal. T/C flint to-day. Now I understand why there are fewer old guys in the woods. Seriously,it was pitiful watching 2 72 yr. old gimps trying to drag, then lift a deer of that size into the vehicle. The wet mud & leaves were piling up in front of the deer as we went, of course I left my nylon deer drag at home. Both of our sons were at work & we wanted to take care of the deer. I think that I will wait for them if there is a next time. Or maybe I will give e-man a call.  lol  sam
2017/01/12 23:25:53
r3g3
I carry a hatchet and a saw in case they gotta get cut in half.
Even half can be a chore sometimes.
Better than having somebody throw dirt on ya.
2017/01/12 23:36:35
mopars0
At 65 I let my neighbor go do the hard work , but I have to say he doesn't mine especially with the second season bow hunting ... he just calls me and tells me when my bologna, hot sticks & burger is done and ready to pick up .... now that is a great neighbor 😜🍺.... of course I try to keep him in walleye so a win ... win thing .... lol
2017/01/12 23:41:55
BeenThereDoneThat.
Boy do I remember the good old days of going through the woods and over the field looking for deer I would bring backout.

Now I go through the woods and over field looking for; from which I can get back out and the stupid deer, can walk out on their own.

Congratulations Sam to both you and your buddy. May the memories of the hunt bring happy conversation for many years to come.
2017/01/13 00:06:21
Eman89so
Hey Sam I would of been there! Lol
2017/01/13 02:43:33
Big Tuna
Well I give them credit,there still doing it. At 64 I'm not what I use to be but I got two out of 3 back to my truck. The Ohio buck was 5 weeks after I had open heart surgery,so I let my son handle that one. Sam I hope you make it to 72 and still are doing it. My dad always said your going to get old someday if your lucky. In my days I've help more than a few older gents get a deer out,and they always seemed to really appreciate it. Good deeds will always come back on you.Hope you learn something from it,maybe someday if you make it some young buck will help you get your deer out.
2017/01/13 07:10:32
Mountian Man
Some of those folding deer carts work wonders.
2017/01/13 07:56:37
dpms
I definitely don't hunt some of the areas I used to just cause I know I would be in there forever trying to get a deer out. I did buy a deer cart for archery season when I pretty much hunt by myself, but deer carts don't work too well in some terrains.

There is no doubt our average hunter population is on the old side and that does not bode well for hunter numbers and participation in the future.

When I see some folks out there in there 60's, 70's, and even 80's hunting by themselves I give them a lot of credit. I offer my services whenever I can. I hope the shoe is on the other foot one day when, lord willing, I am still able to be out there in my golden years and a young buck like Eman89 happens by when I shoot a deer.

Congrats to you and your buddy, Crappie!
2017/01/13 11:06:51
BeenThereDoneThat.
Sitting in my favorite deer stand enjoying coffee and some good reading. How interesting, the comments posted on this thread. Old friends still able to enjoy the hunt togeather and young friends, willing to assure old friends can enjoy the hunt.

Of special interest, during a hunt with my neighbor this past Tuesday I came across a detachable coat hood. Laying on the ground, beside the hood, was a license holder having inside, a computer generated slip giving permission to hunt the grounds and of course, a hunting license.

A search for a phone number was fruitless and knowing the owner would likely miss the remainder of the season if the items were mailed, it was decided to contact the property owner who likely knows this hunter.

So how does this story fit in with this thread?

Well I think it was the D.O.B. on the license.

PS. Address is a zip code 20 miles to my south and if needed, the items would have been hand delivered. No time like the present, to make a new friend.
2017/01/13 13:14:53
Walleye jigs
Must be two Pennsylvanias, huh? Last deer I shot I was definitely struggling to get out of the woods. Out of breath and feeling sick at my stomach I heard an ATV approaching so I stopped. Young hunter, 20 or so, showed up admired the dead deer even said as much. Seeing I had caught my breath and the quad was riding off I started dragging again.
        Following years is when heart started acting up.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account