2017/01/01 19:39:00
WVDepscritch
Any news of steelhead in Niagara this time of year
2017/01/05 13:42:13
Lucky13
NY Outdoor news reports a fresh run of fish with many large ( >10 lbs) fish.   

It used to be that large was >20 lbs, but everyone is downsizing!
2017/01/07 09:17:12
CAPTAIN HOOK
Lol...your right about that downsizing thing, seems to be the norm in Erie & Ontario fishing !

Niagara should have good numbers of Steel this time of year, now's when the hogs use to get caught. Line freeze and slush are your enemies now. I'd go every time it was possible to fish.
2017/01/08 16:49:50
Meatball
What Captain said no doubt...those hogs are in the mix...few but there
2017/01/08 18:22:04
WVDepscritch
Have fished the Big Manistee so I have some ideas but will be grateful for any help, never too old for advice! How dangerous is this river, where can I get license and a decent place to stay
2017/01/10 11:43:39
CAPTAIN HOOK
You won't be wading the Niagara. Shore fishing requires a good pair of hunting boots. The rocks and shore are usually flat enough to move around but like any snow and ice covered area you need to be careful. The Niagara is very dangerous and drops off very quick. It has some crazy whirlpool boils as well as a strong flowing currents. Some actually flow or swirl upstream  in certain areas. Don't take any risk if you fall in this time of year your in serious trouble. Just use common sense! The fish move all around the river so don't move too much sooner or later they will be in your area.

My biggest tip to novice anglers is casting upriver, try not to cast too far out or too close to shore. There is a sweet spot at about halfway. Your line or bait should be tapping bottom by the time it's about in front of you on the drift. If your not barely tapping bottom your not in the strike zone. Adjust your weight so you are barely ticking that bottom. Be ready for a lot of snags until you get that feel . The fish grab it with a few light double taps so set your hook when your suspicious. Once hooked be ready for the most powerful fighting Trout you'll experience just about anywhere. Whether Lake Trout ,or Steelhead in the Niagara, these fish are extremely powerful with the currents and the wide deep water. This is what true Steelheading is about , fighting a true sport fish from shore on his conditions! Don't be disgusted if you loose most that's just Niagara's way, it nothing like fishing in the tribs ! These fish are full of power and have the whole river to burn out that drag. (and they will)

Baits - Egg sacs , spoons , Vibrix Spinners, jigs , minnows (live or salted) and whatever else you catch Trout on. They will all work.

Tips - if the river is pea green your in trouble low visibility, emerald green ,grab your gear! 

Line - I start with 8lb. and go from there up or down.

Penn reels - 4400 SS series

Places to stay - Hope these numbers are still the same ............These are basic rooms mainly for fishermen close to the river. We stayed at the first two many a trip. There are other hotels near but are way more expensive.

Portage Hotel, Lewiston NY.- 716-754-8295   (not bad)
Riverside Motel, Lewiston NY - 716-754-4101 (smaller rooms)one room had 3 single beds   
Youngstown Motel,Youngtown NY- 716-745-9906  (never stayed here )

Dinning in Lewiston - Tin Pan Alley, or JJ's Cabin outside of Lewiston. There was a breakfast diner in town also. Grocery store in town also. Not sure about a license, no bait shops in Lewiston, try a Wal-Mart on your way. 

Fishing - Art Park area , Devils Hole area....ck out satellite maps. There are parking lots.

Good luck, it's a challenge and it's an awesome place to fish, one good day and you'll be addicted !

2017/01/10 13:14:51
CAPTAIN HOOK

Niagara shore fishing mixed years..........

First trip 1986 !  ...........Power Fishing NY with my Mitchell 300

30 years later Niagara still rules ! Put it on your bucket list if your a true Trout fisherman.
Awesome river with an awesome view. Shore or boat it's a great fishery ! 
2017/01/10 18:07:21
WVDepscritch
Thank you for your time and info   
Steve
2017/01/10 22:22:06
CAPTAIN HOOK
Your welcome .......don't mind helping others that enjoy the mighty Niagara!
I along with family and friends spent many years traveling up there and we always enjoyed the fishing experience. 

2017/01/11 22:49:17
CAPTAIN HOOK
Just another tip for travelers heading to the Niagara to fish. Try and monitor the winds up on Lake Erie before locking in on your plans. High strong winds will make the Niagara murky usually a day or so later. If Erie is blowing strong for a few days the Niagara will most likely look pea green or worse. If Erie has been fairly calm a few days pack your gear and head up.

My first step was to go down to the launch in Lewiston and look over the side walls , if you see the rocks under water fairly clear your in business ! Emerald green's your perfect color.

Perfect water!     
NY power plant as seen from Canada. Notice fishermen on metal pier platform on right side.
I fished that area before and after the platform was built. No parking there employees only ,you must walk the Power Plant entry road down hill. Very long walk, especially back up hill .

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account