2016/11/26 09:53:54
Porktown
I use Sally Hansen as a "head cement".  It is pretty smelly stuff, and stays rather smelly.  Do you guys happen to do anything to your flies after you tie them, before fishing?  Rinse them or soak them in anything?
2016/11/26 10:10:13
KJH807
maybe a wipe with denatured alcohol?

I've used head cement, super glue, UV cures, hard as hull, a few Sally Hansen products...
none appear "smellier" than the other
never had an issue with fishabiliy

maybe let them sit out in the open air to clear the smell?
2016/11/26 10:34:47
Porktown
I've got them airing out in the garage right now.  That's probably the best approach.  I'm guessing they take a few days to fully cure.  I've had some that I put in the box too early, and open it up weeks later and still smells like fingernail polish.

I was hoping that I have been doing something wrong, and could up my game!
2016/11/27 11:25:21
FishinGuy
I usually swish a new fly in some mud silt weeds or at least rub it a bit under the water when I tie it on. I doubt it makes much difference. If you want to experiment, just leave the cement off of some. I few good whip finishes shouldn't come off on their own without being chewed on.
2016/11/29 16:58:06
shrodreel
Do a nice whip finish with 5-6 turns...Thats all you need...If you think adding head cement will add to longevity of fly, put a drop of WATER BASE head cement on ..(use only on larger patterns..bass bugs and streamers) AND DON'T BLOB IT ON HOOK EYE !!
"Ask Me Anything"...( bout' fly tying )
Good stuff ;  https://www.amazon.com/Lo...t-System/dp/B002TDI9U4
2016/11/30 21:29:23
Mountian Man
Porktown
I use Sally Hansen as a "head cement".  It is pretty smelly stuff, and stays rather smelly.  Do you guys happen to do anything to your flies after you tie them, before fishing?  Rinse them or soak them in anything?

Sallys takes forever to dry. Nail polish/hardener shouldn't give off any fumes once dried...i paint all my jigs with sallys and just let them dry for @3-4 days before putting them in my box....never had an issue with the smell.
2016/12/10 14:59:56
cdcaddis
 Post deleted.
2016/12/10 18:00:20
Porktown
Mountian Man

Sallys takes forever to dry.

I think this is it. Just need to make sure they are fully cured before putting in box. If not, seems to hold the scent in the box.

Have thought to do the anise thing, but never have. Also heard fish oil gel caps make a good scent addition. I'm sure gulp liquid would do it too. Fish seem to love that stuff.
2016/12/10 18:21:50
cdcaddis
 Post deleted.
2017/05/02 20:39:38
JinxPA
I have used both water based head cement and the regular WAPSI with thinner and make sure it is thinned enough that as soon as applied it is sucked into the wraps. Always use it sparingly and make sure the eye is clear.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account