2016/11/15 19:13:36
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
With archery season over I decided to take my pup to the gamelands in search of a phesant for an hour or so after work. Haven't really trained her to hunt, just thought if I take her out and put a few over her she might get the gist of what we're after. At the very least it's another set of legs beating brush. Any way, today we got lucky and she **** near ran into one before it flushed. First phesant either of us have gotten. Can anyone offer up a good phesant recipe?

2016/11/15 19:45:59
BeenThereDoneThat.
No recipe Crappie_Slayer but a big hearty congrats on your first bird. Terrific story, can almost see you two in the field and the excitement as the bird flushed.
2016/11/15 20:01:03
Big Tuna
When I ran English setters I kill  a lot of birds. I never plucked them so slow moist cooking is a must.  Cut breast into 2 -4 pieces and thighs,legs are full of tendons and not much meat. Brown parts in olive oil add onions,garlic,red bell pepper ,mushrooms ,after everything cooked a little while add water and dry white wine cook till fork tender. Boil noodles or rice..I always deboned meat before cooking them. There good in spaghetti sauce, breaded with 4 C bread crumbs fried then finish in the oven covered in foil till tender. Any rabbit or squirrel recipe will work. Pulled pheasant breasts,you need a few like 4 birds makes a nice mess nice dry rub add little water and a splash of white vinegar toss in the crock pot cook till they fall apart, shred the meat add just a little barbecue sauce, and get those Hawaiian rolls,pheasant sliders. Just a few,just remember the meat is very dry. Good luck  with you lab pup,they make wonderful dual purpose dogs. They get on to pheasants real easy just them into birds and watch the tail and the rush to flush. There great dogs,my buddy had one that was just a hunting machine of birds and one hell of a waterfowl retriever.
2016/11/15 20:24:49
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Thanks guys. Was a good time. The dog definitely got surprised when it flushed, but was into it after that. She's a lab mix, but has been very easy to train so far and seems pretty smart, so I'm hopeful she'll catch on quick. Thanks for the recipes Tuna. I might have to stockpile this one and get a few more. Pulled phesant sliders sound great!
2016/11/16 18:21:31
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Think the pup and I may get hooked on this. Sure beats going for walks around the neighborhood. Went back out tonight for a few. Around 5 heard some crowing coming from a patch of high brush that got the attention of both of us. Got within about 20 yds and Nina couldn't take anymore and went in to investigate. Shortly after 2 roosters flushed out. Should have had another one toward making the pulled pheasant, but poor shooting on my part equaled zero birds.
2016/11/17 10:46:08
treesparrow
 Crappy Slayer, Working any dog that loves to hunt is a joy. Their enthusiasm is addictive. I have a just turned one year old mutt that is a hunting machine. He appears to be Chocolate Lab with some German Shorthair thrown in and who knows what else. He is lethal on Pheasants and has had 16 birds shot over him this year. With better shooting three times that should have been in the bag.
  Sounds like you have a wonderful pal there, and a dog you can enjoy hunting with is special.
   I roll the quartered pieces of Pheasant in flour and quick fry in olive oil, hot and quick. It seems to stay moist this way plus its fast. 
2016/11/18 10:34:55
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Sounds like you've got a heck of a dog there treesparrow. Hoping mine turns into a hunter like that, we'll see. Had her out for a few after work again yesterday. Put one up right before dark as we were heading back to the truck, never took a shot at it though. The excitement she has after flushing one is contagious. Probably gonna head out again this afternoon.
2016/11/18 16:10:36
DarDys
Pheasant hunting over dogs can be addictive.
2016/11/18 20:42:55
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Definitely seems like it is Dardys. Was out tonight for the 4th evening in a row. Been crazy busy at work and I can't figure a better way to spend an hour or 2 after work than winding down taking the dog hunting. Might need to hone my scatter gun skills though. Flushed 5 tonight, no shot on one, got one, and missed the other 3. Most of them have been luck I think, but tonight I got to watch Nina actually work 2 of them. Thinking about hitting it after work again tomorrow if it's not pouring.
2016/11/19 05:22:16
Big Tuna
Don't think it's luck, that little girl can smell them. Your going to have a pheasant nut on your hands. Does she retrieve them ? Wait till you knock a wing tipped bird down,and she tracks it down. I love hunting small game with a dog. The more she's into birds the more she'll learn. Like I said labs are quick learners and love to please. You got yourself a hunting buddy. I'm know expert but if your flushes are close, improved cylinder might help you hit more birds. When I ran close working Setters,I shot a little over and under 20 gauge improved and modified. 5 's or 6's high brass.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account